Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games shutting down on June 5th ?

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2018
    <snip>
    I always also said this was a scam from day one.

Why else would an INVESTMENT company with no reason to be in game industry or MMOs buy out a bunch of MMO games?

That is a HUGE red flag
    Well they already had (still have I assume) Guitar Hero so the games industry was not totally new.

However the reason an investment company would do it is for the cash flow from the - already launched - games. Not to make new games however.

Simple equation basically for a launched game: $X to run it - staff, hardware, IP costs etc.; a history of revenue coming in from which future revenue projection will be made - $Y. Produces ($Y - $X) profit.

They will have done this for all the launched games, added them up and then agreed a price allowing for lay off costs and a sum of money to "finish and launch" EQN with Sony.

(Remember Smed was saying it was "the year of EQN" etc. Once it became clear that EQN was not launching for the allocated sum of they - until Sony who allocated more and still more money - cancelled it.

And that is why CN bought SoE. Not to develop new games simply for the revenue streams.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    craftseeker
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited April 2018
    Imagine if a great studio got hold of these IPs'; DCUO 2, EQ3?

Edited instead of creating another post, but having the same dopey devs from DBG working on the game will not change much. An ideal situation would be a clean out, although the current devs have familiarity with the game. I say shut her down, clean house, and use the IP for the future.

I am not trying to see mepps mug associated with a DCUO sequel. Having the same teams that fans have grown to hate will keep the fans who have grown to hate them & discourage others. 

The current devs are bad publicity, based upon Steam, official forums, YouTube, and other media outlets which claim the devs are out of touch. But what can they do? I personally do not want to see these devs come along if the game is moved, but there may not be another way.
    Post edited by DabOnThem on
    DabOnThem said:
    Imagine if a great studio got hold of these IPs'; DCUO 2, EQ3?

Edited instead of creating another post, but having the same dopey devs from DBG working on the game will not change much. An ideal situation would be a clean out, although the current devs have familiarity with the game. I say shut her down, clean house, and use the IP for the future.

I am not trying to see mepps mug associated with a DCUO sequel. Having the same teams that fans have grown to hate will keep the fans who have grown to hate them & discourage others. 

The current devs are bad publicity, based upon Steam, official forums, YouTube, and other media outlets which claim the devs are out of touch. But what can they do? I personally do not want to see these devs come along if the game is moved, but there may not be another way.
    DCUO is a joint venture between DBG(SoE), WarnerBros (think films) and ..... the key partner: DC Comics.
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Why else would an INVESTMENT company with no reason to be in game industry or MMOs buy out a bunch of MMO games?

That is a HUGE red flag
      only thing i could come up with is money laundering

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    i hope they will go down:P just for sake of everquest and i hope some1 else will pick it up later
    DabOnThem
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,357
    i hope they will go down:P just for sake of everquest and i hope some1 else will pick it up later
    That's just not the way things usually work, at least in the real world.

PhryVrikaGorwe

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,955
    Well I doubt Sony will relinquish their own IP would they ? They own 10 % still so they can get it back surely I hope so.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    Well I doubt Sony will relinquish their own IP would they ? They own 10 % still so they can get it back surely I hope so.
    Hopefully it means they have some control over the final dispostion of the IP's in question, although it would be interesting to see which are included, DCUO and Planetside 2 might well be, but H1Z1, maybe not. I guess June will be an interesting months for all sorts of reasons this year ;)
    Mendelgervaise1
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,671
    Wizardry said:
    This was a scam from day 1.The fact i was so up in the air about this sale is more obvious now,it never made sense then nor does it now.
    My hunch is that ONE small avenue was to use DBG as a money dumpster,put loads of debt into it under the guise of CN but when this came about ,all of a sudden they need DBG to be a separate entity.

There was something very dubious going on from the very first day of the sale,this is not a LEGIT business operation.
    As to reading the documents,i have no doubt what so ever they don't read all the documents,geesh my lawyer barely scrubs over a few liens from 2 pages,all they care about is charging you money for each individual thing they sign or read or investigate.Lawyers are like cash shops,they like to micro manage your money and spend lots of it.

That is a HUGE red flag
    Especially from a floundering company with games that are dying.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Well at least you will not see anything like this happen over at C.I.G. Star Citizen ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Elsabolts said:
    Well at least you will not see anything like this happen over at C.I.G. Star Citizen ?
    Who needs dirty Russian financing when you have blind faithful cult members who empty their pockets at will?
    Iselincraftseeker
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Phry said:
    kitarad said:
    Hopefully it means they have some control over the final dispostion of the IP's in question, although it would be interesting to see which are included, DCUO and Planetside 2 might well be, but H1Z1, maybe not. I guess June will be an interesting months for all sorts of reasons this year ;)

As far as the EQ IP goes Sony may have some "control" - maybe just the right to match another buyers price;  my reasoning being that at the time of the take-over valuing the EQ IP will have been very difficult. CN will not have wanted to "over-pay" whilst Sony would want to avoid a SW IP scenario.

DCUO is a another fish entirely. DC are the prinary IP drivers; WarnerBros the secondary IP driver. Basically SoE now DBG just provide the game mechanics. A joint venture as well rather than a licensed IP deal so all parties should have some say.

Planetside and H1Z1 especially I would expect to belong totally to DBG. A chance that Sony retained some finger in the pie maybe. Again depends in part what CN paid upfront.
    MendelPhry
    prizm1234 said:

That is a HUGE red flag
      only thing i could come up with is money laundering
    As I posted above for the revenue stream from the games that had been launched. Think of it as putting money into an investment account to earn interest.

The mistake you are making - I suggest - is that you are thinking of DBG as a "game company" that "develops" games. Think of it as a company that collects the money and "feeds and waters the existing plants until they die" and it will make more sense.

KyleranPhry
  • xpsyncxpsync Member RarePosts: 1,061
    Word of caution for anyone with CC info with them, i'd be canceling and/or removing all that info, hate to be unable to after the fact in case anything does happen.

This kinda bit Daybreak in the butt, we've apparently had all the wrong info of what happened after SOE washed their hands of them, but did they let us know, guess that shows how much we matter to them.
    gervaise1TorvalPhry
    There are two ways of arguing with a woman, and neither one works. - John Marston

Currently Playing; SWG:Legends, Wow:Classic & 8.3
    xpsync said:
    Word of caution for anyone with CC info with them, i'd be canceling and/or removing all that info, hate to be unable to after the fact in case anything does happen.

This kinda bit Daybreak in the butt, we've apparently had all the wrong info of what happened after SOE washed their hands of them, but did they let us know, guess that shows how much we matter to them.
    Time for another classic video.

;)

xpsyncScotchUp

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,392
    It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Daybreak is trying to say they were never affiliated. Possible PR move. It sounds like all they need to do is sell off Viktor Vekselberg's shares. Which, sounds like they did do.
  • DragonJockeyDragonJockey Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Daybreak is working hard deleting discussions about this on their forums. On the everquest forum, veteran discussions section, they just deleted a 3 page discussion about this...gone without a trace. 
    xpsync

I agree, but even if that were to happen, the same issues which plagued those games will still be present, the devs.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member RarePosts: 1,061
    edited April 2018
    Daybreak is working hard deleting discussions about this on their forums. On the everquest forum, veteran discussions section, they just deleted a 3 page discussion about this...gone without a trace. 
    Bet they regret not being much more forthright from day one of the changing of the guard instead of leaving us with incorrect information all these years. If even true, that's the problem with them, they cried wolf far too much.
    There are two ways of arguing with a woman, and neither one works. - John Marston

Currently Playing; SWG:Legends, Wow:Classic & 8.3
    edited April 2018
    Golelorn said:
    It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Daybreak is trying to say they were never affiliated. Possible PR move. It sounds like all they need to do is sell off Viktor Vekselberg's shares. Which, sounds like they did do.
    No, not a PR move, just a very necessary one if Daybreak truly is not "owned" by CN and the sanctioned individuals or organizations as defined by the OFAC 50% Rule.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=5cce89bf-e293-42d7-9d6f-45f259120842

Without these very public declarations the Sanctions order not only prevents other companies and banks from doing business with Daybreak after the provisions of License 12 /13 expire, (which appears to be 60 days after Apr 6th) but the employees can't even show up for work.

Daybreak of course had better be able to back this up with truth, or people will be hauled to jail for obstruction.

This is much more serious than your average sanctions activity of drug lords or mob bosses, this is part of "National Security" and in the "war on terror" a lot of "rights" people normally have can be set aside, at least for a time. 

These are not people to be trifled with.

568. I am a U.S. person, and I am also an employee, or sit on the board, of an entity that was either designated under E.O. 13661 or E.O. 13662, or blocked by operation of law pursuant to OFAC’s 50 percent rule on April 6, 2018 as a result of such a designation.  Can I continue to be employed by or sit on the board of a blocked entity? What am I allowed to do with respect to severing ties with the entity?

Absent authorization from OFAC, your continued employment or board membership with such an entity is prohibited.  You should review the actions you view as necessary to sever your ties with the blocked entity against applicable OFAC regulations, authorizations, and public guidance.  If, after conducting that review, you decide that any of the contemplated activities necessary to sever the relationship are prohibited, you should apply for a specific license.  If you are unsure about whether authorization is required, contact OFAC.  [04-06-2018]

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/faq_other.aspx#567

Mendelgervaise1

edited April 2018
    Which is why I provided the actual guidelines, they may not have to if Jason E. can prove he really owns more than 50% of Daybreak (purchased prior to Apr 6th) and of course no longer sits on the CN Board. (Though he would just have to quit to be compliant)

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,282
    There is no way in hell even a third rate lawyer would have approved the listing of the wrong ownership info to not only be presented to players via the EULA but also to any shareholders/investors/whatnot. The "oh, we just never got around to fixing it for 3 years" doesn't pass the smell test. Or any test, for that matter.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    .extraClassAspect{-webkit-transform:scaleX(1.34)!important;}.extraClassCrop{-webkit-transform:scale(1.34)!important;}I highly doubt even under perfect conditions DBG can sell before June 5th, as it is becoming somewhat obvious that the sale to DBG by Sony was a firesale and a bit dodgy, so how the heck is the company going to look more appealing than it did back then.

Even if the allegations of ownership and possible money laundering are found to be baseless that's some awful smelling mud stuck to that company name and no one is going to want to buy because they don't know what toxic crap is hidden in the company, the old adage of no smoke without fire kinda thing.

On top of all this the almost comical hamfisted naïve attempt to rewrite history is screaming to everyone panic mode and fishy.

It could be that ironically that brings them down.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    danwest58 said:
    No Daybreak would not shut down if the parent company goes down, however the parent company going down could hurt daybreak.

What would be nice here is if Daybreak was going to be broken up so that private studios could purchase the IPs of games like Everquest.  Then the new studio could make a new EQ game vs Daybreak which is just a venture capital company which sole design is to break up companies and sell them off piece meal.  
    It certainly can. That they will keep the games still earning money after expenses running is more or less a given but updates would suffer and forget new games if the owner goes down.

Besides, if worst comes to worst selling a game that makes profit is not that hard. But if you don't update the games they will eventually stop earning money so a closing of funds for the updates and expansions is really bad long term.
    If this does mean the end of Daybreak, everyone should be thanking the Russians. Anyone whom plays their games know how toxic and arrogant they are. EQ and the DC IP where going nowhere under that toxicity anyway. They destroyed the EQ franchise, something I did not think was possible. Might as well finish off the DC IP.
    KyleranTheScavenger