Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Livestream Event on April 27th! TheHiveLeader - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376
    bcbully said:
    It’s been two years since I played an mmorpg.

Can’t you guys see this style is of play is dead? Hate to make this a pve thing this time, but that’s exactly what it is.

Developers investing in “new dungeons” might as we be building “new” dvd players.

Like the dvd if this all pve can provide, there is no future for it.
         I haven't played a NEW mmorpg in nearly a decade now. The only mmorpg that has captivated my attention during the post-WoW era of mmo gaming has been P1999. Granted nostalgia was a large factor, however, UO was my first mmorpg, not Everquest. So the whole "you never get over your first mmo" argument this community is infatuated with postulating doesn't apply.

If the VR team can create a brand new game that harkens back to the original EQ glory days myself and many others (e.g. the entirety of the P1999 community) will be onboard. I've been waiting for that game seemingly forever at this point. Vanguard (now defunct) was the closest comparable analog. The problem with Vanguard was the abysmal state of its launch (plagued by bugs, lag, broken quests, etc) that alienated most of its original proponents. I'm going to assume Mr. McQuaid learned his lesson therein and will launch Pantheon is a more stable state.

Finally, comparing new dungeons to DVD players is outright foolhardy. There are plenty of gamers still interested in new dungeons as long as the foundational gameplay underlying said dungeons provides enough challenge as to be worth our time. EQ's brand of PvE more than qualifies as the sort of foundation that can inspire the kind of curiosity that instills a yearning to know "what's just around the next bend" within its players. That same curiosity/wonder which propelled original EQ to the forefront of PC gaming (not just mmos) during its heyday. 

P.S. - If you really need PvP then play on the obligatory PvP server. If Pantheon's PvP server is  anything like EQ's Rallos Zek server you'll most likely regret that decision. PvP in EQ made WoW seem like baby's first PvP game in comparison. 
    BruceYeeGyva02
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    bcbully said:

Can’t you guys see this style is of play is dead? Hate to make this a pve thing this time, but that’s exactly what it is.

Developers investing in “new dungeons” might as we be building “new” dvd players.

Like the dvd if this all pve can provide, there is no future for it. Edit- All aspects of gaming in nearly all genres have evolved and move much faster. All but pve in mmorpgs. It might aswell be a dinasour in this modern age of gaming. Does anyone here really think 100 million Hell 300 million make over any better? Would you take your mills and invest in this?
    I still have a lot of fun with PVE in MMO'S. For the little spare time I have PVE still is 'worth it' just as much as it was when I first started with SWG.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    bcbully said:

Can’t you guys see this style is of play is dead? 
    It's funny you say that.
    When you joined the forum I was 100% sure you were a paid Funcom shill haha

Anyway on the topic itself:
    I love HiveLeader but the game was so boring I couldn't stand to watch for more than 5 minutes.
    bcbully
    Harbinger of Fools
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    This game is best played not watched.
    Gyva02

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    kitarad said:
    This game is best played not watched.
    Exactly, just like table top D&D. It much more exciting to be rolling the dice and making the decisions than watching someone else doing it :)