Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i be free please?

GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708
edited April 2018 in Shroud of the Avatar
I don't think quests should exist in MMO's, unless they're generated, generic or coherent with virtuality (like collecting bricks to rebuild a wall of a fort). I hated quests in anarchy online, but now that i experienced how WoW-like story-centred quests can suck the content off a MMO like a parasite, and suck your activity, i hate them way more than AO quests, i've been hating them since about 2005.

So, in this MMO made by what will always be to me a genius (the inventor of MMO's), can i be free to play with the virtual world as a whole, to roam free to understand the persistancy again, to be able to interact with everything and understand it with my own damn mind, instead of having to obey to fricking npc's telling me what to do?

Comments

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Play Albion.
    Manestream
  • GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708
    edited April 2018
    Cuppett5 said:
    Play Albion.
    *checks Albion's forums*

did you just send me off to play a game most players left and hope it gets shut down? :smiley:

and i'm seeing here, that is meant for mobile??!?

but seriously, like everyone, i think i have the right to play a present-gen MMO.

But what i wanted here was a confrontation with players who prefer being incapsulated inside a quests-system of errands, selfish, limited to their enclave of buddies, instead of interacting with a virtual, believable world and its hundreds of thousands of people!
    Manestream
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Gylfi said:

but seriously, like everyone, i think i have the right to play a present-gen MMO.

The entitlement mindset of that comment is mind boggling....
    KyleranPhryHorusramgilbrtsnSirAgravaine
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Everquest has very few quests in spite of its name. You could try the Classic Everquest and Daybreak sanctioned it so all is good.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Yeah try EverQuest or P1999 which is a private server sanctioned by Daybreak games. I prefer P1999 over live. Current EverQuest just isn't the same game as it once was. Though if you feel entitled to play a present-gen MMO with what you describe keep waiting like the rest of us because nobody has provided. Right now Brad McQuaid is holding all the cards with Pantheon which, by the look of gameplay videos is shaping up to be this next-gen version. Even if pantheon doesn't feature the industry best in all elements the core gameplay is shaping up to be something fresh and FUN. Most important part of any game. Is it fun to play...
    edited April 2018
    "Open 'sandbox' style gameplay |Players make their own experience rather than being ushered along in a linear progression]."

ah. Some air. Ha *breathes*

will keep an eye on.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    You do not have to do the quests in SOTA, The Bear guild I'm in most folks who have been around a while in it have not done the quests.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I prefer quests like you do. . meaningful in a gameworld way rather than lore / story driven where each player does the same thing.  Group world quests in GW2 were something like this but they repeated so quickly and the boss went down so fast that it seemed like you were just spamming and running with the mob.

It likely sounds dull to most people but I am with you. . I would rather have to go get bricks to finish a wall (if the wall actually had purpose), and have to fight my way there and back, then to talk to an NPC about his life story where I am the "hero" along with everyone else doing the same mission.  WoW tried to address this with phasing but it still doesn't work well for me.

I also loved open world PvP rather than battlefields etc.  It needs to be organic and generated in a more non predictable way.

I think that Rifts tried to do this with Rifts.  I did like that more.  Nothing worse than killing 10 rats.  The first time I did that in context in The Realm it made sense.  It is almost like Rat killing is now a necessity for an MMO to be taken seriously :)

UO had the right plan with the monsters having goals, stomachs, hunger etc. but that never worked because people killed the things too fast.

The only way for that to work would be to have a world that was to scale with the number of players.  That would be insane and people could complain about travel etc.  Also. . it would need a Dungeon Finder :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Yes, you are not forced to do any quests, there is basically zero hand holding.
      OMG I am Ancient!
    edited April 2018
    Elsabolts said:
    You do not have to do the quests in SOTA, The Bear guild I'm in most folks who have been around a while in it have not done the quests.
    well i want to believe you but it's not so easy. You could avoid quests even in WoW, but it's the only way to level up. (i quit that thing in 2006 so i wouldn't know how it is now).

So, to really be able to not do quests in SOTA, these should not be the center of the game. WoW quests do everything, they make you explore maps, level up, get equipment, even socialize teaming up, they suck the whole gameplay for themselves, and you obey like a succubus of this parasite.

So how much do the quests in SOTA drain life from the game, its content (exploration, levelling and ofc lore)  

please specify. How many quests are there? What's the damage to the organs of SOTA? 
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    If you don't mind an  Early Access game, mediocre graphics, and a small player base (about 500 people according to Steam) Project Gorgon might be for you. It's gotten very positive reviews on Steam.
    edited April 2018
    Pantheon. 
    Project Gorgon.

Noted. Thanks. Please continue. More true MMO's in development.

also, can we tackle the question of SOTA? How quest-ridden is it? Why is it?

Can we have a developer here please? we'll show him how much better a game can be with environment integrated tasks instead of quests, and that players don't necessarily want a WoW system,as their fake researches show

I'll start a petition to convince all players.
    Post edited by Gylfi on
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    You can play with out doing the quests.  I have yet to go back and do a lot with my character, I spend most my time just running through places and crafting stuff, buildings.  also as of this next release there will be deed and houses as drops finally through rare loot, which is pretty sweet.
    edited April 2018
    Crafting eh? how many professions are there? Are they interesting to do?

As i mentioned, just saying "you can play without doing quests" doesn't tell me much. Allow me to pry a bit into your thought. Would you say "you can play without doing the quests" in WoW too? And i mean the only WoW i played, vanilla. If no, what is the difference?

And obvious consequence, if you mean it, then quests can't be very important for character advancement, unlike WoW. is that true?

technically you "can play without doing the quests" also in WoW, but doing it turned the game into DAoC, remember that one? It worked like WoW but had no quests, so ppl would spam kill crits. Then Blizzard understood it was bad and wrote quests, and here we are.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gylfi said:
    Elsabolts said:
    well i want to believe you but it's not so easy. You could avoid quests even in WoW, but it's the only way to level up. (i quit that thing in 2006 so i wouldn't know how it is now).

So, to really be able to not do quests in SOTA, these should not be the center of the game. WoW quests do everything, they make you explore maps, level up, get equipment, even socialize teaming up, they suck the whole gameplay for themselves, and you obey like a succubus of this parasite.

So how much do the quests in SOTA drain life from the game, its content (exploration, levelling and ofc lore)  

please specify. How many quests are there? What's the damage to the organs of SOTA? 
    I levelled up a hunter in WOW to about level 46 without doing a single quest. This was about 4 or 5 years ago  ;)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Phry said:
    Gylfi said:
    Elsabolts said:

I levelled up a hunter in WOW to about level 46 without doing a single quest. This was about 4 or 5 years ago  ;)
    Maybe you're just wanting more "dynamic events" instead of actual quests. Sorta how GW2 just has you run around and do stuff in a specific area that helps a NPC while you're running around without actually having to check in and all that. Rifts and instance adventures did the same thing in Rift Online. WoW Legion is heavily focused around questing to level at 100+ where as WoW: WoD allowed you to explore around and get the same exp as a quest by just discovering stuff etc 90+. One thing I'm not getting what you (OP) want, is something like that incorporated into this game or just a game that focuses on elements like that.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Gylfi said:
    Cuppett5 said:
    Play Albion.
    *checks Albion's forums*

did you just send me off to play a game most players left and hope it gets shut down? :smiley:

and i'm seeing here, that is meant for mobile??!?

But what i wanted here was a confrontation with players who prefer being incapsulated inside a quests-system of errands, selfish, limited to their enclave of buddies, instead of interacting with a virtual, believable world and its hundreds of thousands of people!
    yes, ofc you do, and you can chose from allllll the released games out there.
    if you want one that fits exaaaaactly your specifications, and you think you have the right to get that one, sure you do. go ahead, develop it :)

uh, and for that "believable world and its hundreds of thousands of people!", yep, total fun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8P8Mq3rVU

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited April 2018
    Phry said:
    Gylfi said:
    Elsabolts said:

that doesn't negate the fact that quests in WoW are "supposed" to be done, and done by most.

Why are they supposed to be done? Because they suck the game content, and keep it in. Aside from levelling, how do you discover the lore of the world? How do you explore? How do you Pve? How do you earn money and equipment? How do you socialize and team up?

Yes, you're thinking i can do all that and i did. But first of all i assume you did it well after your first character, and even if you did it, it wasn't efficient anyway, since you had to stop at 46.

So i'm not sure if SotA quests suck the game content too, and me asking in the op. Quests are a vacuum, or better yet a tin can, and content is imprisoned in it and offered to ppl for fast consumption. They're supposed to be done in WoW because otherwise there's really noway to know the lore, to get equipment, to socialize. They're "best" be done!

That's why "you can play without quests" doesn't say much. That's what i meant as being free, instead, with all the content tasted slowly and freely in the air. Aaaah, the world is in the open, you're not asphyxiated anymore, you can study the grass and the fauna however you want, every object holds a mystery that lies in itself, not when someone throws up stories about them upon you, you roam free because you know not everything is "taken care of" by some quest.

only problem is, that "feeling" that for me is exciting hardships and discovery, for some (i dunno how many) is scary and confusing, makes 'em feel dumb, makes 'em rage quit and then come here and criticize that "this s**t game doesn't guide you! It's crazy!"
    Post edited by Gylfi on
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Black Desert

The only quest you have to do is your Awakening at 56. Outside of that you are free to do what you want. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gylfi said:
    Phry said:
    Gylfi said:
    Elsabolts said:

that doesn't negate the fact that quests in WoW are "supposed" to be done, and done by most.

Why are they supposed to be done? Because they suck the game content, and keep it in. Aside from levelling, how do you discover the lore of the world? How do you explore? How do you Pve? How do you earn money and equipment? How do you socialize and team up?

Yes, you're thinking i can do all that and i did. But first of all i assume you did it well after your first character, and even if you did it, it wasn't efficient anyway, since you had to stop at 46.

So i'm not sure if SotA quests suck the game content too. Quests are a vacuum, or better yet a tin can, and content is imprisoned in it and offered to ppl for fast consumption. They're supposed to be done in WoW because otherwise there's really noway to know the lore, to get equipment, to socialize. They're better be done!

That's what i meant as being free, instead, and the content is tasted slowly and freely. Aaaah, the world is in the open, you're not asphyxiated anymore, you can study the grass and the fauna however you want, you roam free because you know not everything is "taken care of" by some quest.

only problem is, that "feeling" that for me is exciting hardships and discovery, for some (i dunno how many) is scary and confusing, makes 'em feel dumb, makes 'em rage quit and then come here and criticize that "this s**t game doesn't guide you! It's crazy!"
    Play EVE, has all the freedom you claim to be looking for.

No heavy reliance on quests, but not so good if you prefer looking at grass and fauna.

Me, I prefer staring into the cold blackness of space or the heart of a sun.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    As someone else has said go check out Project Gorgon, it does have some quest but you actually have to look and figure them out.  Not the follow the arrow type of stuff.  It has crafting and you can even play as a cow if you so choose to.  Overall it should give you that itch you are looking to scratch.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The fact is that many say they don't want quests.  However, a lot of games that come out with no to few quests get slammed for not providing enough content.  Sometimes being accused of laziness.

Of course there is a population for it, but it's a small subset, and I don't believe there are enough to split between a lot of different MMOs like there are with tradititional quest based systems.

I self identify as a monkey.

edited May 2018
    i just saw a few review tutorials of some guys' experiences with the game, and i'm pleasantly surprised with the degree of interactivity in the game.  Apart from the parser interface with the NPC's for conversation, which i'm clearly fond of being an old Sierra games and text adventures fan, i also like the intelligence and depth given in objects and environment manipulation, and possibly in the difficulty and challenges in solving quests i think i spied, because i was pleased at seeing the dumb player mad and bored, so it's a good sign, like when lab rats sleep or something. The quests seem to be made for smart persons, not the typical today's action and violence console-accessibility maniacs.

Too bad, then, that there ARE quests at all, and what seems to be unacceptable instancing, making the game not really a virtual world.

But aside from that, i'm very pleased at seeing there's way more UO than i thought.
    VladamirBegemot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Can "I" be capitalised please? :)