Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Second gen Ryzen greatly improves cache latency

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Current cpus - Intel and AMD - are very solid. More powerful is always good of course but until cpus make gpus unnecessary for "higher end" games the bottleneck remains gpu performance.

And with crypto mining still an issue - with all the ramifications it has had - maybe the type of question we need to be asking is how well can a "new" cpu run game X, Y, Z with a 2 or 3 year old graphic's card or even no graphics card.
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I still remember the days when AMD was King. 

I hated them then and I don't like them now either, because I bought a laptop in .. 2003 or 2004 which had a AMD CPU , only to find out how HOT it became by just .. navigating and/or play light games . That was the only and last time owning an AMD product. 

However, on topic , OP, I know you are a high supporter of AMD and I respect that , but even you , know  that they cannot touch Intel and/or compete with them. AMD if anything, will be a "reserve wheel" for some , and that's it.

True story :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    IceAge said:
    I still remember the days when AMD was King. 

I hated them then and I don't like them now either, because I bought a laptop in .. 2003 or 2004 which had a AMD CPU , only to find out how HOT it became by just .. navigating and/or play light games . That was the only and last time owning an AMD product. 

However, on topic , OP, I know you are a high supporter of AMD and I respect that , but even you , know  that they cannot touch Intel and/or compete with them. AMD if anything, will be a "reserve wheel" for some , and that's it.

True story :)

Depending on exactly when you bought it, if you had bought an Intel laptop from that era, it might have been even worse.  The laptop version of Prescott had a TDP of 88 W:

https://ark.intel.com/products/27367/Mobile-Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-518-supporting-HT-Technology-1M-Cache-2_80-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

For a number of years, Intel was a lot better than AMD in laptops.  Merom (the laptop version of Conroe) was the first to bring decent performance with modest load power consumption.  Clarksfield and later Haswell brought idle power consumption down a lot.  AMD's cat cores had suitably low power consumption, but also low performance, as they were more an Atom-killer than a real option for people who needed considerable performance.  It wasn't until Raven Ridge around the start of this year that AMD had a nifty product for laptops that needed moderate to high CPU performance.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Here's the explanation of the AnandTech results:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678/a-timely-discovery-examining-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-results

Apparently if you force the HPET timer to be used, as you pretty much have to for extreme overclocking, a Ryzen 7 2700X is generally faster at stock speeds than a Core i7-8700K.  However, if you're leaving the CPUs at stock speeds, or even overclocking without changing the BCLK, you don't need to force the HPET timer to be used.  The HPET timer causes massively larger performance hits on Intel CPUs than on AMD for whatever reason.  With it set to default behavior (and hence usually not used), the Core i7-8700K is typically faster at gaming than the Ryxen 7 2700X if you have a CPU bottleneck.  Which their testing usually didn't at high resolutions, but commonly did at lower resolutions.