Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO combat

13»

Comments

• kinkanatkinkanat Member UncommonPosts: 26
    kinkanat said:
    Well, if you ever seen a real life sword fight, the opponents are definitely moving non stop. If you stay at one place, you are dead meat.

Seems to me it's with the animations you have a problem, not the combat.

PS: I found Tera's combat terrible, very static and boring, specially compared to both GW2 and ESO.
    No. Try to do some sicko (in the air...) and run at the same time, to see how long you last.

In sword fighting you move FEWLY, just enough to dodge some swords and little else, you don't run like a chicken without a head, that's ridiculous.

In TERA or Neverwinter Online you move, but not like a meaningless madman running around while you're hitting the air.

No matter how you look at it, it's RIDICLE and it totally takes me out of the game.

If you want a combat simulator, a MMORPG isn't really a good choice. I haven't yet seen people launch fireballs from some body cavity in combat in real life.

As I said, it's not the combat you dislike, but the animations. That's ok to me. I dislike the Tera animations a lot, Neverwinter isn't bad though, too bad the rest of the game sucks (to me).
    No need to look for a combat simulator, there are some MMORPGs that do well their combat system (which by the way, is where you spend the most time in an MMO), like TERA, Neverwinter or Final fantasy XI (I don't like 14 at all, it looks like a skating rink all the time).

But TESO should be asked for much more in its combat system, a real pity.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,831
    edited July 2018
    kinkanat said:

I took great care of specifying "to me" in my previous post to try to convey the message that this was now a matter of opinion. Since you insist about making your opinion a fact, and here on the TESO forums instead of being on your favorite game forums like TERA, the debate with you is over for me, since it's going nowhere.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,055
    edited July 2018
    kinkanat said:
    kinkanat said:
    Well, if you ever seen a real life sword fight, the opponents are definitely moving non stop. If you stay at one place, you are dead meat.

Seems to me it's with the animations you have a problem, not the combat.

PS: I found Tera's combat terrible, very static and boring, specially compared to both GW2 and ESO.
    No. Try to do some sicko (in the air...) and run at the same time, to see how long you last.

In sword fighting you move FEWLY, just enough to dodge some swords and little else, you don't run like a chicken without a head, that's ridiculous.

In TERA or Neverwinter Online you move, but not like a meaningless madman running around while you're hitting the air.

No matter how you look at it, it's RIDICLE and it totally takes me out of the game.

If you want a combat simulator, a MMORPG isn't really a good choice. I haven't yet seen people launch fireballs from some body cavity in combat in real life.

As I said, it's not the combat you dislike, but the animations. That's ok to me. I dislike the Tera animations a lot, Neverwinter isn't bad though, too bad the rest of the game sucks (to me).

While I'm no fan of the animation cancelling, has the ES series ever really had relatively top-notch RPG combat?  In my opinion: no.

I mean, even in Skyrim, you couldn't parry while dual-wielding without mods.  You literally were locked into wailing away frantically in a race to zero health with the mob.

Don't get me started on the Wards; there was no good use for them that couldn't be achieved by merely strafing instead.

I played those games in spite of their combat systems, not because of it.  The same goes for ESO.
    YashaX

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,402
    I wish I could get into the combat of ESO, because it looks like a good game.  I just plain suck at action combat.
    I don't think its that much different from other mmos in pve since the mobs don't move around a lot. Do you have any specific examples of what makes it hard or difficult to "get into"?

I do find it quite different in group pvp situations though because you can't lock onto targets as easily as in tab targeting games.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,831
    YashaX said:
    I wish I could get into the combat of ESO, because it looks like a good game.  I just plain suck at action combat.
    I don't think its that much different from other mmos in pve since the mobs don't move around a lot. Do you have any specific examples of what makes it hard or difficult to "get into"?

I do find it quite different in group pvp situations though because you can't lock onto targets as easily as in tab targeting games.
    Actually, when you are doing the thieve and assassins lines, you realize that the NPCs move around WAY more than you'd like them to ;)

This said, on that part, games like BDO beat ESO indeed.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.