Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lootboxes punishable by Dutch gaming authority

2»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I can foresee many games just ending up blocking German/Netherlands IP adresses from accessing their game and be done with it, so dont get your hopes up too fast
    They'd have to, to comply without changing anything.

The question is how many jurisdictions follow suit in the future. Loot boxes are on the radar and it ain't just in Holland.
    craftseeker

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited April 2018
    What's to stop these companies from no longer selling the games in that country and blocking the entire nation's range of domains?

A year from now. "Silly Dutch, you can't get any real games there.  Losers!"

craftseeker
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    dougha1 said:
    What's to stop these companies from no longer selling the games in that country and blocking the entire nation's range of domains?

Because if any other company is willing to acquiesce, this company would litterally just be cutting their own nose off to spite their face.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    dougha1 said:

Well for a start because the Dutch precedent is likely to be applied elsewhere, first to the rest of the EU, then New Zealand and Australia, Canada will follow the EU example fairly rapidly. Pretty soon those companies will have blocked so many customers that they go out of business.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited April 2018
    What about Lunch Boxes?

(edit) I was just informed that those would be under the Dutch Lunch Authority
    Asheram
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    The last thing any gamer should want is government having more oversight on how games can be produced.

In this particular instance, while I'm sure most people won't recognize is most games have actually been pretty good with self-regulation when it comes to loot boxes because of consumer demand.

I'm sure most of you saying:

"NO THEY AREN'T THERE ARE TONS OF GAMES WITH LOOT BOXES!"

Yes there are. But ask yourself this. How many major games are there with loot boxes that grant access to items you have no other options to get? In almost all games I'm aware of, everything that can be found in RNG boxes can be found other places, and generally cheaper or near equivalent at worst.

So what does their presence actually take from you when you can simply choose to opt out?

Simply one more instance of people deciding they should be able to control the actions of others for "Their own good". And using government as the tool to do it.

Sidenote, I have never purchased a lootbox in any game ever. Their presence has just never greatly bothered me.
    craftseeker
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Eldurian said:
    The last thing any gamer should want is government having more oversight on how games can be produced.

In this particular instance, while I'm sure most people won't recognize is most games have actually been pretty good with self-regulation when it comes to loot boxes because of consumer demand.

Yes there are. But ask yourself this. How many major games are there with loot boxes that grant access to items you have no other options to get? In almost all games I'm aware of, everything that can be found in RNG boxes can be found other places, and generally cheaper or near equivalent at worst.

So what does their presence actually take from you when you can simply choose to opt out?

Simply one more instance of people deciding they should be able to control the actions of others for "Their own good". And using government as the tool to do it.

Sidenote, I have never purchased a lootbox in any game ever. Their presence has just never greatly bothered me.
    The real tragedy here are the people that as this point are actively refusing to read the article in the original post.

This law only applies to a very specific kind of loot box: loot boxes that can be resold to other players for real money.

They have nothing against loot boxes in general and you would know this if you had taken the minute to bother to read. Sad really.
    craftseeker
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Xiaoki said:
    Eldurian said:

The real tragedy here are the people that as this point are actively refusing to read the article in the original post.

This law only applies to a very specific kind of loot box: loot boxes that can be resold to other players for real money.

They have nothing against loot boxes in general and you would know this if you had taken the minute to bother to read. Sad really.
    Technically all can be resold or at least the account. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Xiaoki said:
    Eldurian said:

How does that change anything I said?

Are you simply assuming that just because the loot boxes can be sold for real money I'll be like "Oh ok well in that instance they are justified."

No I stand by what I said:

"So what does their presence actually take from you when you can simply choose to opt out?

Simply one more instance of people deciding they should be able to control the actions of others for 'Their own good'. And using government as the tool to do it."

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Couldn't you just keep track of the ip address of the user and if they are from the country that forbids lootboxes, make it so they can't buy them?  A game isn't required to give individual players the right to be competitive.