Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkest Dungeon .. 70% off .. 7.49

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
edited October 2018 in PC Gaming
  Excellent TBS game with great atmosphere  and rogue like elements, tons of replay value ...

Real bargain for that price ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/Darkest_Dungeon/

Post edited by Scorchien on
MadFrenchiePhaserlightcheyane[Deleted User]JeffSpicoli

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Great little game.  It is back in my daily rotation again.  I'm still trying to recover from losing my main level 5 characters.  Getting a Vestal leveled again can be an absolute pain.  But fun.

KyleranScorchien

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited April 2018
    A truly great game with great depth and deceptively easy looking but will slay you when you let your guard down. Must buy for every steam library.
    MrMelGibsondeniterScorchienJeffSpicoli
    Chamber of Chains
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    cheyane said:
    A truly great game with great depth and deceptively easy looking but will slay you when you let your guard down. Must buy for every steam library.
    I enjoy it a lot more on my Switch.  If you have one, I definitely recommend getting it there instead of Steam.  But, if Steam is your only option then I agree with you 100%.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Mendel said:
    Great little game.  It is back in my daily rotation again.  I'm still trying to recover from losing my main level 5 characters.  Getting a Vestal leveled again can be an absolute pain.  But fun.

Thanks for reminding me why I decided to skip this one,  can't deal with permadeath which is a core element of rogue likes.

I think this is also the game where characters can become demoralized and run, right?

If so that's another (random) element I never cared for in early RPGs.
    Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

Thanks for reminding me why I decided to skip this one,  can't deal with permadeath which is a core element of rogue likes.

I think this is also the game where characters can become demoralized and run, right?

Yes,  both are in the game.  Like you, I normally don't like rogue likes.  But, losing characters isn't a real big deal. You upgrade your town with what you bring back from dungeons.  And each time you get back you can dismiss those that have failed moral tests and easily new recruit replacements. With the upgrades to your town you can recruit high level characters with their upgrades already in place.  If you can pick it up on sale, I definitely recommend it.  You can always steam refund it if it's not to your liking.
    KyleranScorchien
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

My thoughts as well... i just do not enjoy these type games. Ends up being more frustrating than enjoyable for me.

Good thing there are lots of games out there for all types:)
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scorchien said:
      Excellent TBS game with great atmosphere  and rogue like elements, tons of replay value ...

One of these days, I'll return to this.  You have to be in the mood for severe punishment, but if you are it is a fantastic game.  Brutally unforgiving, but very well put together.
    Well the price is right, but I generally think you are more "resilient" when it comes to challenge in games than I, so if you find it brutal then I'm likely not the target market. 

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    It's a good game, but not a great game.

As of today I have 37 hours on record.  There is a fair bit of complexity up front once you get to the town, but once you learn the systems there really is a "first order optimal strategy" of bringing the right quantity of items (from a list of about... 16?), combination of heroes, trinkets, and during the dungeon crawl keeping stress below 100 while using your skills in the proper rotation depending on the enemies.

In so many words... it's a grindy game with a fair bit of complexity up front however once you get to know it there isn't a lot of depth.

It is absolutely worth full price, and a steal at $8.49, but I wouldn't call it "great".  It's my second most played game on Steam right now, and it feels a lot like gambling for better or for worse.
    Kyleran

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scorchien said:

One of these days, I'll return to this.  You have to be in the mood for severe punishment, but if you are it is a fantastic game.  Brutally unforgiving, but very well put together.
    It is brutal.  Yep.  Today, I was running a couple of weeks and decided to pull out my top levels and try to get a 4th Vestal to 5th.  The Vestal survived 4 Heart Attacks in one mission.  I lost a 5th Man-At-Arms and a 5th Crusader on that mission.  The Vestal didn't make 5th.

Brutal.

PhaserlightKyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the headsup :) I've been wanting it for a while, but never knew if I would like it or not. Got it for 5 dollars and some cents cause had almost 3 dollars in my steam wallet, so that is a great price even if I don't end up liking it.

The only thing is I'm a bit weary if its repetitive or not, cause videos I've seen its all the same environment. But I didn't really watch much of it cause got bored watching the people playing it. So maybe there is more to the game than I saw. But I know some games are better played than watched, so maybe this one is one of those. I know I love playing Dark Souls, but hate watching it lol.

But hey, can't complain at that price even if I don't like it lol. I'm sure I'll get at least 5 hours worth and probably more. Plus it has steam workshop with a bunch of mods to spice things up.

Couldn't afford DLCs though this month, but thats okay. I can always pick them up later. The two gameplay DLCs are pretty cheap even when not on sale.

Look forward to playing it in any case :D 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited April 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Well the price is right, but I generally think you are more "resilient" when it comes to challenge in games than I, so if you find it brutal then I'm likely not the target market. 

;)
    I don't remember with the PC version.  But on the Switch, you have an few difficulty settings.  So you can definitely play it less hardcore.  The easiest setting is like a slightly harder version of a normal X-Com 1/2 playthrough, if you ever played those that is.  

I also highly recommend the 2 DLC that bring in additional classes (Crimson court and The Shieldbreaker).  It really gives you more options with good party builds.  The new classes are definitely worth it imo.  You also get a new type of dungeon type (Vampire court) which brings some new end game as well.
    Kyleran
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Is 70% off for 7.49 if you were holding out for a sale..

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Darkest Dungeon and Xcom 2 are the 2 of the games that never work there way out of my rotation

.TheScavenger said:
    Thanks for the headsup :) I've been wanting it for a while, but never knew if I would like it or not. Got it for 5 dollars and some cents cause had almost 3 dollars in my steam wallet, so that is a great price even if I don't end up liking it.

The only thing is I'm a bit weary if its repetitive or not, cause videos I've seen its all the same environment. But I didn't really watch much of it cause got bored watching the people playing it. So maybe there is more to the game than I saw. But I know some games are better played than watched, so maybe this one is one of those. I know I love playing Dark Souls, but hate watching it lol.

But hey, can't complain at that price even if I don't like it lol. I'm sure I'll get at least 5 hours worth and probably more. Plus it has steam workshop with a bunch of mods to spice things up.

Couldn't afford DLCs though this month, but thats okay. I can always pick them up later. The two gameplay DLCs are pretty cheap even when not on sale.

Look forward to playing it in any case :D 

Considering its one of those games where you get to recruit and somewhat customize your characters ie name, armor color , class build DD provides that same kind of connection you get with your characters in XCOM. So there is the game itself and then you have this kind of emotional (corny i know lol) meta game where you are trying to keep your favorite characters alive and make them more powerful as you progress through the game. Not sure if im explaining this well but thats what the real hook is for me.
    Mendel
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    bumped for any that missed  this ..D D is on sale today on Steam for 70% off 7.49