Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Star Trek Online Dev Blogs

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

The official Star Trek Online website carries two new developer blogs from Daron Stinnett of Perpetual Entertainment. In the two posts he discusses the general progress of the game and an upcoming Star Trek convention they plan to attend.

Though we're still early in development, I have to say that we're starting to make some exciting progress. One of the keys to that progress has been the addition of Ian Pieragostini, our Client Lead. Ian comes to us from EA where he headed up the XBOX 360 graphics team on Godfather, and before that Microsoft working on Combat Flight Sim among other titles. Ian's graphics background and experience with large scale development methodologies are a perfect match for STO. He's getting our tech effort up and running so we can start trying out some of our ideas on screen. Moreover, Ian is a big Star Trek fan and a dedicated MMO player. I really can't imagine a better addition to the team.

We're also making solid progress on the design front. Glen (STO Lead Designer) has put much of the design into focus - at least most of the major pieces. We've been running the key design points through our internal review process and the feedback has been largely positive. Two of the most difficult and important design tent-poles remain though: combat and player ships. We've been doing a lot of thinking on both of these topics, but I can't say that we've gotten either to a stable place yet. The debate boils down to how much action to put into away mission combat vs. more traditional turn/rules based models. And on the ship front: how and when we give players access to ships, including the issue of supporting both solo and group oriented players. Though I think we're close to solving the ship issue and I'm hoping that we can start sharing some of our ideas with the community soon.

You can read them all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• BronxChuloBronxChulo Member Posts: 166

Just curious why STO is not in the list of games in development?

If we had a place to talk about stuff for this game maybe the developers would also come here and talk and read posts.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

There are specific criteria to be included in the list. One is a real in-game screenshot, something they have not yet produced.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Originally posted by BronxChulo

Just curious why STO is not in the list of games in development?
    If we had a place to talk about stuff for this game maybe the developers would also come here and talk and read posts.

STO is also in pre-development stage. I'm sure once it is in developement and had a few images of the game to post, it's status will cange here.