Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Final Fantasy XIV go buy to play now?

13»

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,528
    The game is already b2p. No way they're dropping the recurring service fee from the game and no way they would drop the cash shop. I could see the game being added to some premium subscription service along with some others but it's not going to get cheaper.
    Viper482
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,429
    Wizardry said:
    The developers argument has always been servers,staff upkeep but i disagree,these developers/publishers have been too greedy and ripping us off.We should NOT be paying up front for the staff to remain and work on the next expansion,that is similar to all these EA games asking for money up front,i don't agree with that.

The problem however comes down to keeping staff around to work on expansions and upkeep,servers,staff,,overhead etc etc.

I did the math,it doesn't work out too well for the developer.They can easily survive off of $5 a month instead of the usual 15 but the greedy execs at the top will see little income.The typical 30-50 cost for a quality expansion if taking 6-9 months or even a year is again only offsetting the cost with little profit on top if the sub fees were removed.

So in essence ,there would be VERY little incentive to keep fully staffed making expansions,quality expansions,you end up with a typical boring linear questing game with very little content ideas.So it really comes down to these businesses removing some of the dead weight at the top that is leeching so much of the revenue,like the Kotick's...Morhaime's making 20+ million a year is ridiculous.If that money goes back into the game and the employees,it is better for everyone,maybe not the revenue leechers but everyone else.

Bottom line,yeah they can do it and imo very well with a $5 cost per month and 30-50 cost for expansions every 6-9 months.
    I won't disagree that SE always tries to rip people off (FFXIV is a prime example); however, they aren't really the greed getting exec types. I think where a company original comes from reflects their motivations. Square is based from Japan and is very big on the FF franchise name, I mean its been around like 30~ years at this point, so it does hold a lot of weight to it. Their money from other projects has often went into saving failed FF projects, just look at the history of XIII/XIV/XV, all having very rough development periods, with XIII reportedly almost bankrupting the company. Knowing this about the company does 'make sense' to some as to why they are trying to get as much as they can, since it could help XVI's development etc. I dont agree with their approach to monetization, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as EA/Acti-Blizz simply because they do try and constantly develop games, instead of releasing Battlefield/CoD every year with less features than the previous.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 605
    No. No. No. No. No.
    No.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,970
    Wizardry said:
    The developers argument has always been servers,staff upkeep but i disagree,these developers/publishers have been too greedy and ripping us off.We should NOT be paying up front for the staff to remain and work on the next expansion,that is similar to all these EA games asking for money up front,i don't agree with that.

The problem however comes down to keeping staff around to work on expansions and upkeep,servers,staff,,overhead etc etc.

I did the math,it doesn't work out too well for the developer.They can easily survive off of $5 a month instead of the usual 15 but the greedy execs at the top will see little income.The typical 30-50 cost for a quality expansion if taking 6-9 months or even a year is again only offsetting the cost with little profit on top if the sub fees were removed.

So in essence ,there would be VERY little incentive to keep fully staffed making expansions,quality expansions,you end up with a typical boring linear questing game with very little content ideas.So it really comes down to these businesses removing some of the dead weight at the top that is leeching so much of the revenue,like the Kotick's...Morhaime's making 20+ million a year is ridiculous.If that money goes back into the game and the employees,it is better for everyone,maybe not the revenue leechers but everyone else.

Bottom line,yeah they can do it and imo very well with a $5 cost per month and 30-50 cost for expansions every 6-9 months.
    Show me a breakdown of actual costs as well as income and you will have a leg to stand on with your argument. 

easily survive off $5 per month? How is it you have access to all of their financial info?

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,324
    Yeah, that will never happen. The IP has a very loyal fanbase.