Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Final Fantasy XIV go buy to play now?

Comments

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Yeah BTP, but mostly cause my wife wont let me spend a sub fee every month on anything. And I want to play 8(

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Yes, they should. It's 2019.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    Why would they? As long as they keep putting out a quality product people are willing to pay monthly for....why stop?
    Scorchien
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    JeroKane said:

Most of us are Legacy members and only pay 9 bucks a month. That's super cheap and excellent value.

Huh??
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Absolultely Not would be foolish ,

Why would they throw away millions of monthly revenue , to go B2P when most people who want to play FF14 already own it .. There is not a massive new FF14 market untapped , there player base is loyal and solid ..

There is also a free trial for anyone that wants to try it ..
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Why did this get necro'd exactly?
    Viper482
  • dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited May 2019
    See how evil works!!!!   now they wanna start talking shit about ff14 now...and why??
    cause its doing well ...... its  the best  quality game ever...i wouldnt even respond to his question if it wasnt so stupid.
    good job  yoshi P. keep up the good work.    
    Post edited by dekkion1 on
    gammer 4 life
    Arterius said:
    Scorchien said:
    Absolultely Not would be foolish ,

Why would they throw away millions of monthly revenue , to go B2P when most people who want to play FF14 already own it .. There is not a massive new FF14 market untapped , there player base is loyal and solid ..

There is also a free trial for anyone that wants to try it ..
    don't they 4-6 million subs right now... Why go B2P
    6~7 million "adventurers" globally. It would honestly be the talk of the town if it was really that many subs, unfortunately that could include trial numbers (which people dont say it does but hey, defense mechanisms), but more importantly it includes the numbers in china and korea where the game is f2p.
    Buschkatze
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    the game is doing fine as a sub only, why change what is working for you?
  • solproxysolproxy Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    No
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Viper482 said:
    Why would they? As long as they keep putting out a quality product people are willing to pay monthly for....why stop?
    People will play a mediocre game for a 1 time fee.  They will not subscribe to a mediocre game for a recurring fee.

I think the market has made this evident.
    Viper482
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Well WoW should of went F2P/B2P several expansions ago. Their content has all the problems of FFXIV, combined with the fact they are hemorrhaging subs where ffxiv is technically growing still.

Yet WoW still charges a sub. Why would ffxiv stop doing it.

In my opinion though what is being done with FFXIV is crooked. I am paying a sub, they are then using the proceeds to make custom crap for the cashshop... which they then turnaround and charge me for again if I want. I already paid for the stuff with my mandatory sub and box cost.

With a Cashshop... IT SHOULD BE A B2P GAME. If they get rid of the cashshop outside say name/race/server changes. Then they should be a p2p game. Atm they are a P2P game with F2P/B2P stuff combined into it. Which should not be supported by anyone in my opinion.
    Buschkatze
    edited May 2019
    Darksworm said:
    Viper482 said:
    People will play a mediocre game for a 1 time fee.  They will not subscribe to a mediocre game for a recurring fee.

Are you implying FFXIV is mediocre? Because its success would suggest otherwise. I don't even like the game and I can see this.
    LackingMMO
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I wish they would go B2P.
    Buschkatze

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• InnitbruvInnitbruv Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Better 1000 paying than 10,000 freeloaders.
    [Deleted User]
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    [Deleted User]Buschkatze
    edited July 2019
    Viper482 said:
    Darksworm said:
    Viper482 said:

Are you implying FFXIV is mediocre? Because its success would suggest otherwise. I don't even like the game and I can see this.
    No.  [mod edit]

I stated exactly what I meant.

1.  Lots of good games die because of subscription (that, or they have to change their business model).

2.  Lots of bad games do well because of B2P (cheap) or F2P (free).
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Viper482Buschkatze
    edited June 2019
    Innitbruv said:
    Better 1000 paying than 10,000 freeloaders.

The 10,000 freeloaders often are buying skins, loot boxes, etc. and often contributing more than the average $12.99-14.99 subscriber would on a monthly basis.

Why do you think even FFXIV has a cash shop, now?  I bet they sell a lot of those Level Boosts and Story Skip potions :-P

I've always viewed F2P + Cash Shop as a mirage, as I always ended up paying MORE under that business model than under a pure subscription model.  The only thing you may luck out on, is free expansions... but games like ESO are exploiting loops re: that by drawing distinctions between DLC and Expansions, anyways :-P

I do think Guild Wars 2 has hit the best "mid-ground" between the two models... but most developers aren't going to go that route.
    Buschkatze
    edited June 2019
    Darksworm said:
    Viper482 said:
    Darksworm said:
    Viper482 said:

No.  That's your own retardation clouding your reading comprehension.

I stated exactly what I meant.

1.  Lots of good games die because of subscription (that, or they have to change their business model).

2.  Lots of bad games do well because of B2P (cheap) or F2P (free).

Your "retardation" comment is absolutely inappropriate. If you are too immature to have a discussion perhaps the internet is not for you. 

I ASKED you if you were implying that. My reading comprehension is fine, perhaps you should learn how to articulate yourself more clearly. You clearly only spoke of mediocre games, since FFXIV is the game of topic one could easily deduce you are implying something. In the end I still ASKED, I did not accuse. 

Ridiculous that people can't have a civil discussion these days.
    Scorchien[Deleted User][Deleted User]Buschkatze
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    They will offer $100 a year to play all Square-enix games as a apass and include FFXIV if smart and blizzard as well. All mmo players will pay that just fro the one game.. so lots of old players will return and new join for the whole package of games.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The developers argument has always been servers,staff upkeep but i disagree,these developers/publishers have been too greedy and ripping us off.We should NOT be paying up front for the staff to remain and work on the next expansion,that is similar to all these EA games asking for money up front,i don't agree with that.

The problem however comes down to keeping staff around to work on expansions and upkeep,servers,staff,,overhead etc etc.

I did the math,it doesn't work out too well for the developer.They can easily survive off of $5 a month instead of the usual 15 but the greedy execs at the top will see little income.The typical 30-50 cost for a quality expansion if taking 6-9 months or even a year is again only offsetting the cost with little profit on top if the sub fees were removed.

So in essence ,there would be VERY little incentive to keep fully staffed making expansions,quality expansions,you end up with a typical boring linear questing game with very little content ideas.So it really comes down to these businesses removing some of the dead weight at the top that is leeching so much of the revenue,like the Kotick's...Morhaime's making 20+ million a year is ridiculous.If that money goes back into the game and the employees,it is better for everyone,maybe not the revenue leechers but everyone else.

Bottom line,yeah they can do it and imo very well with a $5 cost per month and 30-50 cost for expansions every 6-9 months.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    The developers argument has always been servers,staff upkeep but i disagree,these developers/publishers have been too greedy and ripping us off.We should NOT be paying up front for the staff to remain and work on the next expansion,that is similar to all these EA games asking for money up front,i don't agree with that.

The problem however comes down to keeping staff around to work on expansions and upkeep,servers,staff,,overhead etc etc.

I did the math,it doesn't work out too well for the developer.They can easily survive off of $5 a month instead of the usual 15 but the greedy execs at the top will see little income.The typical 30-50 cost for a quality expansion if taking 6-9 months or even a year is again only offsetting the cost with little profit on top if the sub fees were removed.

So in essence ,there would be VERY little incentive to keep fully staffed making expansions,quality expansions,you end up with a typical boring linear questing game with very little content ideas.So it really comes down to these businesses removing some of the dead weight at the top that is leeching so much of the revenue,like the Kotick's...Morhaime's making 20+ million a year is ridiculous.If that money goes back into the game and the employees,it is better for everyone,maybe not the revenue leechers but everyone else.

Bottom line,yeah they can do it and imo very well with a $5 cost per month and 30-50 cost for expansions every 6-9 months.
    I won't disagree that SE always tries to rip people off (FFXIV is a prime example); however, they aren't really the greed getting exec types. I think where a company original comes from reflects their motivations. Square is based from Japan and is very big on the FF franchise name, I mean its been around like 30~ years at this point, so it does hold a lot of weight to it. Their money from other projects has often went into saving failed FF projects, just look at the history of XIII/XIV/XV, all having very rough development periods, with XIII reportedly almost bankrupting the company. Knowing this about the company does 'make sense' to some as to why they are trying to get as much as they can, since it could help XVI's development etc. I dont agree with their approach to monetization, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as EA/Acti-Blizz simply because they do try and constantly develop games, instead of releasing Battlefield/CoD every year with less features than the previous.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    No. No. No. No. No.
    No.
    Buschkatze

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Wizardry said:

Show me a breakdown of actual costs as well as income and you will have a leg to stand on with your argument. 

easily survive off $5 per month? How is it you have access to all of their financial info?
    Buschkatze
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Yeah, that will never happen. The IP has a very loyal fanbase.