Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 million Star Citizens

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
2 million Star Citizens and still growing strong !

HUZZAH !

Have fun
1.jpg 48.1K
[Deleted User]Gdemami

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    xNIAx1 said:
    Most populated scam in video game history.
    Funny that i am playing this "scam" for years now in the Alpha version and am ...

Having fun   ;-)
    PhaserlightConstantineMerusGdemamiZandog
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179
    Just pointing out, numbers like these are just erroneous numbers. It isn't indicative of people that:

1) Play
    2) Like the game
    3) Are still around

Do we even know how many are backers? Or are these just accounts created? 

Seems pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  It's like saying SWTOR has 1 Million concurrent peak players.  

They certainly did on launch. Doesn't mean much for them now though.  
    ScotchUpZandog

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    [...] just accounts created [...]
    ^ This ^
    maskedweaselScotchUpZandog

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Just pointing out, numbers like these are just erroneous numbers. It isn't indicative of people that:

1) Play
    2) Like the game
    3) Are still around

Seems pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  It's like saying SWTOR has 1 Million concurrent peak players.  

Star Citizens are accounts created. That is also how CIG officially defines them.

The number of paying backers may be around 35 % of that  (that number is based on a very rough estimate by a guy from Turbulent management some time ago. Turbulent is a partner of CIG, mostly for their online presence).

So that would be a guestimate of around 700.000 paying backers these days.

There are quite a few others that have created accounts during the "free fly" weekends. I assume there will be new free fly weekends in the future too. They will be a significant number of the rest of the 1.3 million "Star Citizens". 

The point here is that Star Citizen has a huge group of followers. And that number is still growing.

Have fun

GdemamiZandog
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I think SC looks pretty amazing, but at this point talking about player numbers is pretty much conjecture.  I'm sure we would all agree that gamers, especially Western ones, are fickle to the Nth degree, and quick to hop from title to title.  The only real numbers I trust, at least in terms of the health of a player base, come from sub-based games.  Oh I'm sure there are umpteen backers, but nobody can say how many are still around.  Then again, whenever this releases, I have a feeling a lot of people who may have walked away at some point will probably return.  I don't back anything before release but would absolutely give this a shot once they've got something available for everyone.
    denitermaskedweasel
    Erillion said:

1) Play
    2) Like the game
    3) Are still around

Star Citizens are accounts created. That is also how CIG officially defines them.

The number of paying backers may be around 35 % of that  (that number is based on a very rough estimate by a guy from Turbulent management some time ago. Turbulent is a partner of CIG, mostly for their online presence).

So that would be a guestimate of around 700.000 paying backers these days.

There are quite a few others that have created accounts during the "free fly" weekends. I assume there will be new free fly weekends in the future too. They will be a significant number of the rest of the 1.3 million "Star Citizens". 

The point here is that Star Citizen has a huge group of followers. And that number is still growing.

Have fun

Not necessarily. That's making a lot of assumptions.

How many accounts have you created for games you may have tried or were interested in that didn't last you a month?

I'm not saying 2 million people aren't following it,  but it's safe to say theres going to be a subset of those that created an account that couldn't care less.  Not to mention how many people may have created duplicate accounts, or troll accounts for the forums. 

I can create an account right now, it doesn't make me a follower. Just a guy that created an account.  
    ScotchUp

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:
    Funny that i am playing this "scam" for years now in the Alpha version and am ...

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

If I were you, I would be ashamed to say that " I am playing an ALPHA version of a game for YEARS" .

About the 2 mil ..donors , if we make a quick math , it seems that they donated around 100$ each ( on average ) , which is A LOT , because that's average , which again, it seems that the small % of whales ( naive whales that is - which I say they are no more then 5% ) , have donated A LOT of money to this scam., which again, it is VERY sad. 

People often tells me that "is their money, they do whatever they want with them" , while I say , fuck off. Supporting a scam has nothing to do with "doing whatever you want with your money" , because in the end , more and more scams ( ok..projects ) will appear ( see that Lord British with his game , while he sells his hair and blood to "support" the game after taking millions from donors ) .

This is sad news , and nothing to "HUZZAH" for a game which is in "Alpha for years" with around Two Hundred Millions of Dollars in their pockets.
    cmacqTurrican187Zandog

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

If I were you, I would be ashamed to say that " I am playing an ALPHA version of a game for YEARS" .

About the 2 mil ..donors , if we make a quick math
    The 2 million number isn't donors, it isn't "citizens" meaning people that have paid for the game, it's just accounts created. Free accounts. 

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

About the 2 mil ..donors , if we make a quick math , it seems that they donated around 100$ each ( on average ) , which is A LOT , because that's average , which again, it seems that the small % of whales ( naive whales that is - which I say they are no more then 5% ) , have donated A LOT of money to this scam., which again, it is VERY sad. 

People often tells me that "is their money, they do whatever they want with them" , while I say , fuck off. Supporting a scam has nothing to do with "doing whatever you want with your money" , because in the end , more and more scams ( ok..projects ) will appear ( see that Lord British with his game , while he sells his hair and blood to "support" the game after taking millions from donors ) .

This is sad news , and nothing to "HUZZAH" for a game which is in "Alpha for years" with around Two Hundred Millions of Dollars in their pockets.
    nothing unusual about it, last time i was in your thread you talked about how long it takes and started talking about these great other games that were done in 5 years, the ones we looked at were pitiful so you pointed me to the 'good ones'm looked into those and they had been in and out of development for over 10 years and had all sorts of terrible issues, didn't bother responding as you are not interested in any truth. 

""is their money, they do whatever they want with them" , while I say , fuck off. Supporting a scam has nothing to do with "doing whatever you want with your money" , because in the end , more and more scams ( ok..projects ) will appear" - such a funny comment.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Not necessarily. That's making a lot of assumptions.

How many accounts have you created for games you may have tried or were interested in that didn't last you a month?

I'm not saying 2 million people aren't following it,  but it's safe to say theres going to be a subset of those that created an account that couldn't care less.  Not to mention how many people may have created duplicate accounts, or troll accounts for the forums. 

I can create an account right now, it doesn't make me a follower. Just a guy that created an account.  
    As with any game that ever existed, especially MMO's.

The total numbers are always the numbers they use to promote titles, this is why we see MMO's with perhaps 100K active users proclaiming 10 million players!

The active base of a community is always a fraction of its total, we all know this, SC has 2 million accounts to date, that's all there is to it really.
    maskedweasel
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

The 2 million number isn't donors, it isn't "citizens" meaning people that have paid for the game, it's just accounts created. Free accounts. 
    Free accounts creating 180 million, wow.
    Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

I don't understand what you're trying to convey here.

Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

nothing unusual about it, last time i was in your thread you talked about how long it takes and started talking about these great other games that were done in 5 years, the ones we looked at were pitiful so you pointed me to the 'good ones'm looked into those and they had been in and out of development for over 10 years and had all sorts of terrible issues, didn't bother responding as you are not interested in any truth. 

""is their money, they do whatever they want with them" , while I say , fuck off. Supporting a scam has nothing to do with "doing whatever you want with your money" , because in the end , more and more scams ( ok..projects ) will appear" - such a funny comment.

Ever wonder why you keep receiving spam emails ? Because they "work" . Because there are enough naive people to "buy" in everything , from "Make $$$ in 3 weeks" , to "Buy this Nike originals at the outstanding price of 5$" . 

Sure, naive people will always exist , no matter what, but that doesn't mean I can't say my voice exactly how I feel about this .."thing". 

Why I am angry when it comes down to things like this, is because several years ago , all we had were real companies working and shipping games with their own budget. Failing , meant the closer of the studio ( or something ) and losing their money ( especially ) . Now they don't give a fuck if the final product will actually be successful or not. They take your money , work for 5 years from your money and then .. whatever.

But is fine. I see the good things in Star Citizen. If they fail , and they will , all this shitty KS projects will disappear. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

IceAge said:
    Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

Ever wonder why you keep receiving spam emails ? Because they "work" . Because there are enough naive people to "buy" in everything , from "Make $$$ in 3 weeks" , to "Buy this Nike originals at the outstanding price of 5$" . 

Sure, naive people will always exist , no matter what, but that doesn't mean I can't say my voice exactly how I feel about this .."thing". 

Why I am angry when it comes down to things like this, is because several years ago , all we had were real companies working and shipping games with their own budget. Failing , meant the closer of the studio ( or something ) and losing their money ( especially ) . Now they don't give a fuck if the final product will actually be successful or not. They take your money , work for 5 years from your money and then .. whatever.

But is fine. I see the good things in Star Citizen. If they fail , and they will , all this shitty KS projects will disappear. 
    Yes you don't like that people have the option to support a project via crowdfunding. We should just rely on the risk averse investors to produce our games for us because nothing bad ever happened to consumers down that road.

Thanks for looking out for all us dumb folks though!
    Erillion
    edited March 2018
    IceAge said:
    "For years..."

You are clearly not me - not by far ;-)  - and i am not ashamed. Helping with play-testing to make a game the best it can be is nothing to be ashamed of. Supporting an interesting crowdfunding project is also nothing to be ashamed of.

"donors" ... you may want to read the thread first ;-) before looking like a fool. The definition of what is a "Star Citizen" has only been posted here half a dozen times or so. 

You say "fuck off". I shrug and STILL do with my money whatever i want. :-D  People screaming at lamp posts have never held much fascination for me.

Lord British - whom i met in person and who is a great guy - is about to launch his game in a few days .... the one you claim to be a scam. You may want to read the articles on the front page of this website for a reality check that may burst your bias bubble.

So ... you may not like Star Citizen ... but obviously many others do.

To them i shout a HUZZAH HUZZAH ... 'ere we go 'ere we go 'ere we go .. through the cosmos !

Have fun

PS:
    @IceAge said   >>
    They take your money , work for 5 years from your money and then .. whatever.
    >>

"Whatever" we got were some of the coolest games in recent history, all from successful Kickstarter campaigns. Examples: the three Shadowrun games, Wasteland 2, Everspace, the upcoming (great !) Battletech game etc.
    Those Kickstarter teams had experienced people in there, with a good mix of skills and experience.

Of course backers/people had to pick and choose what projects to support. Even use their brains from time to time.

If someone backs a Kickstarter team of eastern european no name programmers that no one has ever heard of, that put a trailer together featuring existing objects from an engine toolset and proclaim it as their own work  ... THEN ... someone may not have made the smartest choice in backing them ... but HEY ... its his own money and he is free to spend it any time he likes !

>>>
    because several years ago , all we had were real companies working and shipping games with their own budget.
    >>>

Since several years ago we get risk-averse yearly re-runs of the same-old-same old following the same formulas from these companies you mentioned, with ever more loot-boxes and insane DLC policies added to the mix. Ask EA and their stock market rating drop that cost them billions ... ask them how that worked out for them ?

>>>>
    Ever wonder why you keep receiving spam emails ? Because they "work"
    >>>>

They work because greed beats brain in quite a number of people.

And stupidity is a resource that breeds at least at the same speed as people.
    And its - literally - a renewable resource.

Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

What I was trying to convey was that free accounts, the accounts you can create for free, created 180 million worth of funding. I thought that was impressive, so I said 'wow'.
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

What I was trying to convey was that free accounts, the accounts you can create for free, created 180 million worth of funding. I thought that was impressive, so I said 'wow'.
     The free accounts aren't indicative of the amount of funding though.  1 account from 1 person could account for 180 million dollars.  Would it change anything if there were 200 Million accounts?

Accounts are irrespective of the amount of crowdfunding accomplished.  Accounts, in essence are meaningless. I could create 1000 accounts this month, it wouldn't change their funding. 

edited March 2018
      The free accounts aren't indicative of the amount of funding though.  1 account from 1 person could account for 180 million dollars.  Would it change anything if there were 200 Million accounts?

Accounts are irrespective of the amount of crowdfunding accomplished.  Accounts, in essence are meaningless. I could create 1000 accounts this month, it wouldn't change their funding. 
    Unless other people look at the number increasing, want to join in, buy a basic starter package and increase overall funding.

Your extra 1000 accounts may have enticed other, paying backers to contribute.

For sure the international gaming press looks at these numbers and have published articles about Star Citizen and its huge following for years now. And THEM HAVE increased the number of backers significantly with that publicity.

A hypothetical, but likely scenario IMHO.

Have fun
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    IceAge said:
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:

Having fun   ;-)
    "For years..."

They are indicative of the amount of interest the game generates though and the funding seems to suggest that a lot of people like the project! (I don't think it came from one person, I didn't give them that much!)

IceAge said:

[...] About the 2 mil ..donors , if we make a quick math , it seems that they donated around 100$ each ( on average ) [...]
    Make this 35% of the accounts (700.000) and you end up with an average of $258 per backer.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

IceAge said:

[...] About the 2 mil ..donors , if we make a quick math , it seems that they donated around 100$ each ( on average ) [...]
    Make this 35% of the accounts (700.000) and you end up with an average of $258 per backer.
    hey why not make it 5%! we can make up any number we want!

soon someone will direct me to that figure stated by the random journalist backed by no one, i feel it coming!
    Erillion
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Orinori said:
    IceAge said:

soon someone will direct me to that figure stated by the random journalist backed by no one, i feel it coming!
    You and @Mars_Orbital appear to be abject relativists.  Seems a common thread surrounding this project.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited March 2018
    Erillion said:

Unless other people look at the number increasing, want to join in, buy a basic starter package and increase overall funding.

Your extra 1000 accounts may have enticed other, paying backers to contribute.

For sure the international gaming press looks at these numbers and have published articles about Star Citizen and its huge following for years now. And THEM HAVE increased the number of backers significantly with that publicity.

A hypothetical, but likely scenario IMHO.

Have fun
    But hypothetical isn't the likely scenario. You could just as easily make up the hypothetical scenario that the majority of the current backers left, and stopped playing. Most of the free accounts are duplicates or more (I know for a fact that there are people with many multiples of free accounts),  and that the majority of funding going forwards is a small subset of players such as yourself.  

In all honesty, that seems much more likely.  When it comes to game revenue from cash shop games, statistics show that a small percentage, usually hovering between 1%  - 15% of the entire gaming population finance more than 50% of the entire games revenue.  

But since this game isn't a released title, purportedly they have less than half of free accounts mentioned as paying accounts.  That also doesn't take into consideration how many people have purchased multiple accounts, which are probably a small subset of them.

Orinori said:

They are indicative of the amount of interest the game generates though and the funding seems to suggest that a lot of people like the project! (I don't think it came from one person, I didn't give them that much!)

They aren't indicative of anything actually.  Without actual numbers, and actual knowledge on what these accounts actually are, they are meaningless.  

One person could potentially account for 30K accounts. While we all might think that is highly unlikely, we don't have any facts on the situation.  If those accounts are active, if they are being used, if they were placeholder accounts, or what, we don't know.  

Note I'm not for or against star citizen, I'm just pointing out the irrelevancy of "accounts created".  It's no more a milestone than saying 2 Million people crossed 5th avenue today. One person could have crossed 1000 times today as a crossing guard. Nobody knows. 

IceAge said:

Orinori said:
    IceAge said:

So, how many from 2 mil, have the donor status?

Erillion said:
    [...] Ask EA and their stock market rating drop that cost them billions ... ask them how that worked out for them ? [...] 

Ow when did this happen?
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ea/charts
    ScotchUp

The cake is a lie.