Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Announces GameOn, a Cross-Platform Competitive Gaming Service - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAmazon Announces GameOn, a Cross-Platform Competitive Gaming Service - MMORPG.com News

Amazon has announced a new series of flexible APIs for developers. Called GameOn, the AWS cloud-based infrastructure is a series of cross platform APIs to help "developers easily integrate competitions natively into their games on mobile, PC and console". GameOn works on any operating system and provides developers with the tools to bring competitive gaming to their titles with ease.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well tel Amazon i want LESS epsort and better games because the last 5 years it looks like devs are just tossing out cheap games and succeed only because of Esport.

I want HQ games to succeed,i want the devs that put in the work on their game to be rewarded and not trashy games that just cash in on the Esport craze.

This is also just adding to the LAZINESS of developers.Look at Blizzard's Hearthstone,i said in the very first season how much that game lacked but many said ...give it time it will improve.../NOT.

I lost track but we must be soemwhere around 50 seasons into the game and still no UI for Tournament play,that is not only lazy it is embarrassing to a giant like Blizzard that they can't include the simply structure that is needed in a pvp Esport game.
    Then how about Multiplayer,is Amazon going to give Hearthstone the multiplayer aspect it needs ,like say husband/wife,Boyfriend girlfriend 2 vs 2,no it is not,Amazon is just looking to create some cheap way to get developers on board to make money from other people's work.
    pantarokillerqueerinfomatzBruceYeePhry

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I will exercise cautious optimism in saying that this kind of service might allow developers to quickly integrate competitive features into their game, allowing them more time and resources to focus on what we actually want - the contents of the game itself.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    While it *might* allow them to work more on the "actual" game, i'd assume they just invest less time total, so the game is the same, they just didn't need to do the "esport" part. So instead of e.g. every two years, they can throw out a new game each year. It's unlikely that this service will lead to higher quality games or actually new game ideas etc.
    Kyleran

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ChoconnectsChoconnects Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited March 2018
    I wish the gaming studios f-king shut up with the promises about what to bring rather they should focus on proving their worth. "Esport" and "cross platform" buzz words are putting a knife at their throats. Oh wait, must be colin johanson.

*shrugs and walks away*
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Just advertisement really, just look at what happened with Fortnite, the devs 'accidentally' allowed cross platform play between PS4's and XB1 players, but had to 'fix' it fairly quickly because Sony are not happy about things like that, which is a shame because before it was Microsoft that didn't want to share, so basically unless Sony and Microsoft are both on board for it, then it doesn't really matter what Amazon says or does, it won't happen. :/