Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Players Consider Amassing Gold on Rumors of Call of Duty Coming to BattleNet - World of Warcraft

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWoW Players Consider Amassing Gold on Rumors of Call of Duty Coming to BattleNet - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Late last week, it came to light that players could suddenly log into their Call of Duty accounts using BattleNet credentials. This led many to believe that any future Call of Duty games may be coming to BattleNet in much the same way that Destiny 2 did last year. As a result, World of Warcraft players are speculating on a rise in token prices and are beginning to amass gold with the knowledge that, if CoD arrives, it can be purchased with BNet Balance that can be bought with a WoW Token.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    I'd start questioning where that subscription fee is really going towards considering how many titles use the same network now and don't charge for access. Are WoW players fronting the costs here? Id say yes.
    IceAge
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Amazingly stupid, go get a job instead of spending too many hours farming gold, you can pay for your game in a very short time.  

KyleranJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]infomatz
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2018
    Earning gold is a byproduct of playing the game. It's VERY easy to earn gold -- I have nearly 2M with very little effort other than leveraging gold quests in Legion and the companion table in my Order Hall. Sell a few potions here and there, gather plants / other crafting materials (fishing, mining etc.) across all of my characters and BOOM...gold action. It's not hours either. In fact, the table quests can be done in 5 min via the Legion mobile app for all 12 characters and can drag in 5k+ per day. Token prices are cheap enough that I can buy several if I were inclined -- which I'm not, but still. :)
    Post edited by SBFord on
    NephethAlbatroes[Deleted User]infomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    The only way it will double or triple again is if Blizzard change the base value again ofc... pretty clear evidence bliz tampered with it when D2 announced/released because that game has long been condemned by the masses and yet the price didn't recover because its unable too.

But im sure many will still believe its supply vs. demand... and Blizzard would never tamper with the value to make buying gold more attractive lol.
    SBFord
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Activision .. get out of my blizzard !
    JeffSpicoli
  • honken_moonhonken_moon Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Anyone else get the feeling Activision is hoping Battle.net can eventually be their way out of steam?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited March 2018
    I'm totally against non blizzard games being in the launcher. they should at least give you the option to hide games you don't play
    Post edited by FrodoFragins on
    Xingbairong[Deleted User]infomatz
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

I'm totally against no blizzard games being in the launcher. they should at least give you the option to hide games you don't play

That's a very .. stupid idea, Frodo :)

Zamuro said:

how can blizzard fail themselves so much to partner with these faggots activision?!

They are not partners. They are a big (happy?) family since 2008. Get used with.

Anyone else get the feeling Activision is hoping Battle.net can eventually be their way out of steam?

And that's normal. But no. They can get out of Steam. At least not in the next .. 10 years. Steam is too big (players) for Activision games , for them to pull off.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    IceAge said:

I'm totally against no blizzard games being in the launcher. they should at least give you the option to hide games you don't play

That's a very .. stupid idea, Frodo :)

Well steam lets me list only installed games if I want :)

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

Amazingly stupid, go get a job instead of spending too many hours farming gold, you can pay for your game in a very short time.  

As @SBFord said making gold is a piece of cake in Legion. I've probably spent over 4 mil gold during Legion and I've got over 2.2mil atm and that's when you have in mind that I've practically been inactive during Legion because for me this expansion was a genuine fail.
    Btw I'm not saying that people should use tokens to buy the game. I find the gold more valuable than the few $ I would save, so I prefer using money to buy the game and use my WoW gold for WoW :)

@SBFord I wish EU token prices were the same as US...
    SBFord
    edited March 2018
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

As @SBFord said making gold is a piece of cake in Legion. I've probably spent over 4 mil gold during Legion and I've got over 2.2mil atm and that's when you have in mind that I've practically been inactive during Legion because for me this expansion was a genuine fail.
    Btw I'm not saying that people should use tokens to buy the game. I find the gold more valuable than the few $ I would save, so I prefer using money to buy the game and use my WoW gold for WoW :)

No kidding @Xingbairong -- I play in the EU too and they're 2x the price of US tokens. Still, I buy my sub with $ rather than tokens because, like you, I love what I can get with gold. :D
    Xingbairong

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    Ozmodan said:

Where are these many hours farming gold at? lol You can make around a half mil a month by using the order hall app so....you dont even have to log into the game. Only thing I hope for now is that Yoshida pushes SE to do this with FFXIV since I'd honestly rather play that then wow (only reason I sub sometimes to wow is because the method mentioned earlier).
    SBFord
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    SBFord said:
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

No kidding @Xingbairong -- I play in the EU too and they're 2x the price of US tokens. Still, I buy my sub with $ rather than tokens because, like you, I love what I can get with gold. :D
    weird, I'm glad tokens exist because I don't find enough interesting things in the game to spend gold on...lol.
    SBFord
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'd rather pay cash than the alternative of having to play WOW...

Yuck.

;)

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

SBFord said:
    Earning gold is a byproduct of playing the game. It's VERY easy to earn gold -- I have nearly 2M with very little effort other than leveraging gold quests in Legion and the companion table in my Order Hall. Sell a few potions here and there, gather plants / other crafting materials (fishing, mining etc.) across all of my characters and BOOM...gold action. It's not hours either. In fact, the table quests can be done in 5 min via the Legion mobile app for all 12 characters and can drag in 5k+ per day. Token prices are cheap enough that I can buy several if I were inclined -- which I'm not, but still. :)
    And this is the biggest reason why Mission Tables suck; they've destroyed the gold economy in World of Warcraft.  Farming a lot of gold SHOULD require time and effort.
    Meh, I have better things to do. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

azurrei said:
    SBFord said:
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

weird, I'm glad tokens exist because I don't find enough interesting things in the game to spend gold on...lol.
    Funny you mention that since it seems there's a theory going around that Blizzard is going to try and implement more high priced mounts/potentially pets to help with the gold sinking but honestly I never cared that much for vanity. I mean I dumped 500k around for the lightforged mech just to through it into my favorites for mount roulette lol. I mean Diablo 2 remaster will be nice to buy with balance but honestly there's not much I want to buy from blizzard as is so I guess I dont care either way in this regard. But SE, there's a lot I'd love to get (even resub to XI on multiple accounts again) if they implemented something similar. It seems to be working out well for blizzard and SE loves to hang on their coat-tails so to speak.
    Albatroes said:
    azurrei said:
    SBFord said:
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

Funny you mention that since it seems there's a theory going around that Blizzard is going to try and implement more high priced mounts/potentially pets to help with the gold sinking but honestly I never cared that much for vanity. I mean I dumped 500k around for the lightforged mech just to through it into my favorites for mount roulette lol. I mean Diablo 2 remaster will be nice to buy with balance but honestly there's not much I want to buy from blizzard as is so I guess I dont care either way in this regard. But SE, there's a lot I'd love to get (even resub to XI on multiple accounts again) if they implemented something similar. It seems to be working out well for blizzard and SE loves to hang on their coat-tails so to speak.
    There are at least a couple mounts that are a million gold, but I have no interest in them whatsoever....one is a gigantic black widow spider and the other is the Alliance motorcycle (ewww....).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited March 2018
    Tokens already cost 300k in the EU and more than that in Asian regions.

https://wowtoken.info/
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    And this is the biggest reason why Mission Tables suck; they've destroyed the gold economy in World of Warcraft.  Farming a lot of gold SHOULD require time and effort.
    Regardless, it's still not good for the long term health of the economy and they're going to have a tough time putting this genie back in the bottle.  The expectation going forward is going to be zero-effort gold farming.  I'm shocked that's it's been so easy for Blizzard to convince everyone they're winning when in the long run we're all clearly losing.  Eventually you're going to see uncommon battle pets being sold for 200,000 gold and a Token is going cost a 500,000 gold, and it probably won't take very long for that to happen.  I wonder how great the gold missions will look then to the apparently large number of people who, somehow, don't see this coming.
    I get the point Sedryn, but think it's psychologically easier to go the route of a lot of gold than almost none.

Pennies could be removed from our economy here in the U.S. with minimal economic shock.  They're simply not useful anymore because of inflation.  However, saying a dollar is 100 cents sounds better to the ego than saying it's just 4 quarters.

I'm concerned about the stat bloat.  It seems like an easy fix- just move the decimal and voila, we no longer have to use obscenely large numbers to describe DPS, health, mana, etc.  I think they are looking to address this in BfA though, right?
    [Deleted User]SBFordNepheth

SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Regardless, it's still not good for the long term health of the economy and they're going to have a tough time putting this genie back in the bottle.  The expectation going forward is going to be zero-effort gold farming.  I'm shocked that's it's been so easy for Blizzard to convince everyone they're winning when in the long run we're all clearly losing.  Eventually you're going to see uncommon battle pets being sold for 200,000 gold and a Token is going cost a 500,000 gold, and it probably won't take very long for that to happen.  I wonder how great the gold missions will look then to the apparently large number of people who, somehow, don't see this coming.
    I get the point Sedryn, but think it's psychologically easier to go the route of a lot of gold than almost none.

Pennies could be removed from our economy here in the U.S. with minimal economic shock.  They're simply not useful anymore because of inflation.  However, saying a dollar is 100 cents sounds better to the ego than saying it's just 4 quarters.

I'm concerned about the stat bloat.  It seems like an easy fix- just move the decimal and voila, we no longer have to use obscenely large numbers to describe DPS, health, mana, etc.  I think they are looking to address this in BfA though, right?
    Yes, they are. It's massive too. If you look at some of the alpha videos streamers are posting, you'll see that hits that are ordinarily in the millions in Legion are in the very, very low thousands in BfA. 
    MadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Making money in WoW does take a little knowhow and experience. I was struggling until I followed Suzie's tried and true secrets. Now I can actually afford bags. :lol:
    Dude, I sense sarcasm ... at least I hope it's sarcasm.  Currently all it takes to make a ton of gold once you have your Champions leveled and geared is a half dozen hours a week farming World Quests that give Order Hall resources and an android app ... that and a little time teleporting around Argus to replenish those special followers and you'll be rolling in it in no time.
    I was never that good at making cash in WoW either, but I didn't have an Order Hall decked out nor did I make it a focus.  I was too busy farming currency for gear!
    [Deleted User]

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Albatroes said:
    azurrei said:
    SBFord said:
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

You are like the second person in the last hour saying something about "Diablo 2 Remastered" . You made me look if I missed some super top News today.

Sadly, no :)
    [Deleted User]

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

IceAge said:
    Albatroes said:
    azurrei said:
    SBFord said:
    I've prb

Ozmodan said:

You are like the second person in the last hour saying something about "Diablo 2 Remastered" . You made me look if I missed some super top News today.

Sadly, no :)
    Lol I wish there was. We'll likely see WC3 remaster before D2 remaster, especially with this WC esque thing they are trying to add to WoW in BfA.
  • ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    okay let us look at this logically, activision owns call of duty NOT blizzard. why in he hell would blizzard buy a game for cash and give to a play for a token?make no sense.nor why wold activsion sell a player a game for a token,that is from blizzard? how are they going to make a profit?realy how many people might sign u under blizzard,vs the one who sign up under steam,ps or xbox?it make no sense.all it is right now is a way to log in your game.sort of like on ps or steam.but hey farm gold.i got about 25m on my ffxiv that just sitting there.