Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon about todays live stream

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Most of the screenshots Ive seen of this game just scream EQ1 all over again.....It was great in its day, but that was 19 years ago.....I really dont want to go through it again.

Lol, and who says you have to, go play something else. 
    AlBQuirkyGyva02Gdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Most of the screenshots Ive seen of this game just scream EQ1 all over again.....It was great in its day, but that was 19 years ago.....I really dont want to go through it again.

Once again, a dissenting opinion is shouted down, without any attempt to try to explain 'why' what another poster is seeing isn't what they are seeing.  He's said he doesn't want to go through this all over again, why suggest that his opinion isn't welcome on a public discussion forum.  If you eliminate anyone who disagrees, soon you'll have everyone singing the same hymn.

Is the pro-Pantheon community so afraid of differing opinions that they simply dismiss any opinion that disagrees with theirs?  I thought the biblical thing to do was to embrace the sinners, teach them and then save their souls.

[Deleted User]Gyva02

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Mendel said:

Once again, a dissenting opinion is shouted down, without any attempt to try to explain 'why' what another poster is seeing isn't what they are seeing.  He's said he doesn't want to go through this all over again, why suggest that his opinion isn't welcome on a public discussion forum.  If you eliminate anyone who disagrees, soon you'll have everyone singing the same hymn.

Is the pro-Pantheon community so afraid of differing opinions that they simply dismiss any opinion that disagrees with theirs?  I thought the biblical thing to do was to embrace the sinners, teach them and then save their souls.

Because what he is seeing, is what he is seeing. The game does scream EQ1 all over again. That is the point of the game -- a spiritual successor to EQ1 and Vanguard.

If you've experienced EQ1 and Vanguard and don't want to go through it again... play something else. How is that a problem?

The devs are making a specific game, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. However, people who haven't already experienced a game like this, should try it and may be surprised how fun a game like this can be.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkydelete5230Gyva02GdemamiDullahan
    --------------------------------------------
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Amathe said:
    YashaX said:
    Why are the heroes so weak? They are decked out in the coolest gear, flaming swords fancy armor, and shooting fireballs, but can barely beat one half naked guy wielding a mining pick  ;)
    This isn't WoW, where one guy wades into 8-10 foes at a time and kills them all. No one here wants that. They want challenging encounters (where it takes 6 guys playing well to kill 1 guy).

It doesn't matter the artwork on the mob you reference because they are magical beings. They don't have to wear armor to be tough. 
    There is quite a gap between one guy killing ten foes at a time and a team of well geared heroes barely able to scratch a half naked "Black rose mine hand" (looks and sounds completely human to me). 

I think a better comparison is between something like Dragon Age origins or pillars of eternity and this. Those games have slow, measured combat, but nearly every fight felt like a "realistic" tactical challenge. What I saw here just seemed somewhat incongruous, amazing potential if they can tune it up though. 
    Mikeha[Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    YashaX said:
    Amathe said:
    YashaX said:
    Why are the heroes so weak? They are decked out in the coolest gear, flaming swords fancy armor, and shooting fireballs, but can barely beat one half naked guy wielding a mining pick  ;)
    This isn't WoW, where one guy wades into 8-10 foes at a time and kills them all. No one here wants that. They want challenging encounters (where it takes 6 guys playing well to kill 1 guy).

It doesn't matter the artwork on the mob you reference because they are magical beings. They don't have to wear armor to be tough. 
    There is quite a gap between one guy killing ten foes at a time and a team of well geared heroes barely able to scratch a half naked "Black rose mine hand" (looks and sounds completely human to me). 

I think a better comparison is between something like Dragon Age origins or pillars of eternity and this. Those games have slow, measured combat, but nearly every fight felt like a "realistic" tactical challenge. What I saw here just seemed somewhat incongruous, amazing potential if they can tune it up though. 

I mean, most mmos bosses fit this bill too though.  I don't see it as any more ridiculous for these miners to be the hulk than I do for a boss to be a "human" who can take a beating from 6+ massively powerful heroes. 

YashaX
    Mendel said:

Because what he is seeing, is what he is seeing. The game does scream EQ1 all over again. That is the point of the game -- a spiritual successor to EQ1 and Vanguard.

If you've experienced EQ1 and Vanguard and don't want to go through it again... play something else. How is that a problem?

The devs are making a specific game, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. However, people who haven't already experienced a game like this, should try it and may be surprised how fun a game like this can be.
    The problem isn't playing something else.  It's the 'go away and leave us alone' attitude.  It is dismissive and doesn't contribute to a meaningful discussion.  I'm also not discussing a game, I'm discussing the actions of supporters of a game-in-development based on what I am seeing.

YashaX

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited March 2018
    Mendel said:
    Once again, a dissenting opinion is shouted down, without any attempt to try to explain 'why' what another poster is seeing isn't what they are seeing.  

It wasn't just a dissenting opinion. He said he dislikes one of the essential premises of the game, namely, the bringing back of old school type combat. It would be like going to a Cinnabon bakery and saying "I don't like cinnamon buns!" What are they going to do in response to such a statement? Say "oh ok then we will start over and become an Arbys." 

There are hundreds of games on this website's game list that I don't like because I don't like the manner of game that they are. But I don't hang out on their forums, making sure to get a shot in on those games every time someone mentions them or God forbid says anything praiseworthy of them. Because that would be pointless trolling. 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGdemamiDullahan

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:

The problem isn't playing something else.  It's the 'go away and leave us alone' attitude.  It is dismissive and doesn't contribute to a meaningful discussion.  I'm also not discussing a game, I'm discussing the actions of supporters of a game-in-development based on what I am seeing.

I'm not certain that is a meaningful discussion.  If they say they are developing the combat in a specific way and have already decided then there isn't much point in discussing it other than to say you don't like it.  There are probably some things that are up for discussion still.  I was discussing things on their message board a while back, but even at that point, they said most things had been discussed and decided already.  It was just a matter of getting things implemented.  Most discussions on the game at this point are just for fun.
    Gdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:

Flyte is correct.

It's not a "go away and leave us alone" attitude. It IS a "this is what it is for x, y and z reasons, it has already been discussed it's not going to change and either understand that and come to terms with it or move on" attitude.

What meaningful discussion are people going to have if people just keep repeating the same thing over and over again because "it is what it is". "whelp you got us, it's an indy game with limited money but what'cha goin' to do"

UngoodAlBQuirkyGdemamiDullahan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:
    Once again, a dissenting opinion is shouted down, without any attempt to try to explain 'why' what another poster is seeing isn't what they are seeing.  

It wasn't just a dissenting opinion. He said he dislikes one of the essential premises of the game, namely, the bringing back of old school type combat. It would be like going to a Cinnabon bakery and saying "I don't like cinnamon buns!" What are they going to do in response to such a statement? Say "oh ok then we will start over and become an Arbys." 

There are hundreds of games on this website's game list that I don't like because I don't like the manner of game that they are. But I don't hang out on their forums, making sure to get a shot in on those games every time someone mentions them or God forbid says anything praiseworthy of them. Because that would be pointless trolling. 

No, he was told to 'go away' without any discussion of his opinion.  Basically, @Theocritus' opinion was ignored, the point he was making was ignored, and @SavageHorizon clearly tried to shut off further discussion of his opinion.

At least, you bothered to give your opinion and explain it.  @SavageHorizon didn't.  There's not even an implied explaination there.

Pantheon is news, and a new video is news.  @Theocritus expressed his opinion on a discussion forum.  Discussion of a news topic and expressing one's personal reaction to that news topic isn't any form of trolling that I'm aware of.  It's just another dissenting opinion.  Neither of us know exactly how many other people who also believe the same way.  Maybe it's the majority of gamers, maybe it isn't.  We know it's not preposterous, because at least @Theocritus has that opinion.

MikehaAlBQuirkyYashaX

Mendel said:
    It's just another dissenting opinion.  Neither of us know exactly how many other people who also believe the same way.  Maybe it's the majority of gamers, maybe it isn't.  We know it's not preposterous, because at least @Theocritus has that opinion.

Exept there is no discussion other than his pointing out that it takes guidance from Everquest. There is discussion in that.

But the statement that "he can't play that" well "good? bad?". Not much discussion in that and the response was "you don't have to". That's pretty much true.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGdemami

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

No, he was told to 'go away' without any discussion of his opinion.  Basically, @Theocritus' opinion was ignored, the point he was making was ignored, and @SavageHorizon clearly tried to shut off further discussion of his opinion.

At least, you bothered to give your opinion and explain it.  @SavageHorizon didn't.  There's not even an implied explaination there.

Pantheon is news, and a new video is news.  @Theocritus expressed his opinion on a discussion forum.  Discussion of a news topic and expressing one's personal reaction to that news topic isn't any form of trolling that I'm aware of.  It's just another dissenting opinion.  Neither of us know exactly how many other people who also believe the same way.  Maybe it's the majority of gamers, maybe it isn't.  We know it's not preposterous, because at least @Theocritus has that opinion.

They have voiced their feelings that they don't like the game.

Ok thank you for telling us that you don't like the game.

Now, with that put out,

We like the game as it is and as it is coming along.

Since none of us are going to like the game less because you don't like it, and none of us are going to try and change your mind to suddenly like the game.

We are left with very little choices at this point on how we can respond.

In the end, if this does not look like a game you will enjoy, the the only choice you really have is to stop wasting your and our time about it, and go find something else to play that you will enjoy.
    SovrathWellspring[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGyva02Dullahan
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Mendel said:

No, he was told to 'go away' without any discussion of his opinion.  
    What opinion? If I went to threads about SWTOR and posted "I don't like Star Wars," exactly what would I have contributed to any discussion? 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

Theodcritus wasn't being ignored.  People addressed his opinion.  They just didn't ask him to expand on it.  Why would they?  It was pretty clear cut.  I'm pretty sure fans of Pantheon are aware that not everyone will like the game because of its slow paced, 'old school' feel.  That's probably why they're fans in the first place?  So complaining that this thread (and hell why not every thread then at that point) doesn't include long discussions of why the game is bad because it's like EQ doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Certainly won't be a very productive conversation.

SovrathAmatheAlBQuirkyGyva02
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    So far the graphics seem decent, that's all I got from it and have to log, carry on twitching. :)
    YashaXGyva02
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

Now, with that put out,

Since none of us are going to like the game less because you don't like it, and none of us are going to try and change your mind to suddenly like the game.

In the end, if this does not look like a game you will enjoy, the the only choice you really have is to stop wasting your and our time about it, and go find something else to play that you will enjoy.
    In this thread, I have only commented on how the pro-Pantheon community chooses to respond to anyone that doesn't share their viewpoint.  Instead of embracing them into the community, they choose to attack with various means to try to discourage anyone from forming their own opinions and expressing those.  This is making the potential Pantheon community, one of the core aims and goals of the developers, sound more likely to turn to exclusive and detrimental to a game that's not even completed.

I've been commenting on the behavior of the community as I encountered it on this site, and how they choose to engage in a discussion.  So, your post is addressing something I may have said in the past, not what has been said in this thread.

Cannibalism isn't the first option, even for those wrecked in the Andes.  Remind me to never fly to any Pantheon Fests with you guys.

pantarojimmywolfGyva02

A friendly suggestion then... do NOT bring this up here in the Pub where everyone is posting. Keep that on the game specific forum.
    This is not a bad suggestion. I frankly thought it was in the Pantheon forum where it belongs, but saw too late that a certain .... prays for patience ... poster ... put it here instead. 
    Mendel[Deleted User]Scot

Amathe said:
    A friendly suggestion then... do NOT bring this up here in the Pub where everyone is posting. Keep that on the game specific forum.
    This is not a bad suggestion. I frankly thought it was in the Pantheon forum where it belongs, but saw too late that a certain .... prays for patience ... poster ... put it here instead. 
    The issue of this being in a non-Pantheon forum is one of the initial poster.  I'll even second your *sigh*.  And a good number of these type of discussions being started by 'System' without bothering to organize the topics by the nice convenient sub-forums.  It makes discussions of one game scatter all over various forums, and I do like organization.

Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

Now, with that put out,

In this thread, I have only commented on how the pro-Pantheon community chooses to respond to anyone that doesn't share their viewpoint.  Instead of embracing them into the community, they choose to attack with various means to try to discourage anyone from forming their own opinions and expressing those.  This is making the potential Pantheon community, one of the core aims and goals of the developers, sound more likely to turn to exclusive and detrimental to a game that's not even completed.

I've been commenting on the behavior of the community as I encountered it on this site, and how they choose to engage in a discussion.  So, your post is addressing something I may have said in the past, not what has been said in this thread.

Cannibalism isn't the first option, even for those wrecked in the Andes.  Remind me to never fly to any Pantheon Fests with you guys.

That's not what I'm getting.

First off, I'm sure only "some" pro-pantheon are responding in a way that you don't like. And is that dislike on your part really warranted?

To that point, it's very difficult to invite someone into your community who doesn't like anything about being in your community.

It's one thing to be critical of the game (which is always fine) yet another thing to just completely dislike what the game is going for.
    Gdemami

Sovrath said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

Now, with that put out,

First off, I'm sure only "some" pro-pantheon are responding in a way that you don't like. And is that dislike on your part really warranted?

To that point, it's very difficult to invite someone into your community who doesn't like anything about being in your community.

It's one thing to be critical of the game (which is always fine) yet another thing to just completely dislike what the game is going for.
    Okay, maybe I over-generalized when I said "pro-Pantheon crowd".  Far too inclusive and painting with a broad brush.   Correct that to "some segment of the MMORPG posters who are pro-Pantheon and choose not to express their attempts at ending the discussion instead of addressing the opposition's concerns, issues, questions or points'.   I stand corrected.

My participation in this thread started with SavageHorizon's dismissal of Theocritus' opinion.  I'm just judging this particular sub-section of this community by the actions that they do choose to express.  It does more to support my personal belief that "people don't know how to discuss" than not, though.

The community forming around this particular game does sound far too homogeneous to me.  A debate teacher once said "Without dissent, there is no basis for discussion".  Entirely too many people would prefer the silence of agreement to the noise of discussion.  Funny place to find them, a forum for discussing topics.

Then again, Groucho (a noted curmudgeon) said, "I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member".  So you can see my dilemma.

pantaro

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    Flyte27 said:
    It looks pretty similar to EQ combat.
    Which is terrible. Bringing back something almost 20 years old can't end well.
    There are games which have set the milestones for modern MMO combat. That doesn't mean simplification, that can involve the complexity of "old school" (disputable...), but that means top notch hand/eye synchronization and the feeling that your actions have a tangible repercussion on screen immediately.
    I want that dagger or sword to actually feel like it hits the enemy. Not like I'm just swinging a stick in the air.
    That is a big part of why that live stream is so boring.
    And that's a huge reason I hate modern MMOs. For me, my twitch skill takes away every last bit of RPG. I'm not even a backer of Pantheon, but from what I've seen it has me at the very least interested in MMORPGs again. The lack of summer-salting, plate wearing melee fighters is a humongous plus, in my book.

So don't play it. It's clearly not for you. Lots and lots of other MMOs already released that fit your preference better.

The best about that combat? The players actually chatted with each other!
    Except that I'm NOT talking about twitch combat.
    True. You want "action combat" which what I was referring to. Anyone who thinks the old "stand there and auto-attack" is boring is not looking for that kind of combat. You seem to want to push lots of buttons like for dodge and parry and sweeping attacks. You seem to want "more control" over what your character is doing and when. And that's cool. It's what you prefer. And there are many, many MMOs that should appeal to your tastes out now. Me, I just want my "RPG" back in an MMO.  Any MMO.

But knowing (guessing?) what Pantheon is all about and who is creating it, were your expectations possible?
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited March 2018
    Mendel said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:
    Mendel said:

Now, with that put out,

Okay, maybe I over-generalized when I said "pro-Pantheon crowd".  Far too inclusive and painting with a broad brush.   Correct that to "some segment of the MMORPG posters who are pro-Pantheon and choose not to express their attempts at ending the discussion instead of addressing the opposition's concerns, issues, questions or points'.   I stand corrected.

My participation in this thread started with SavageHorizon's dismissal of Theocritus' opinion.  I'm just judging this particular sub-section of this community by the actions that they do choose to express.  It does more to support my personal belief that "people don't know how to discuss" than not, though.

The community forming around this particular game does sound far too homogeneous to me.  A debate teacher once said "Without dissent, there is no basis for discussion".  Entirely too many people would prefer the silence of agreement to the noise of discussion.  Funny place to find them, a forum for discussing topics.

Then again, Groucho (a noted curmudgeon) said, "I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member".  So you can see my dilemma.

But to make a point again, Theocritus (who has every right to his opinion) pointed out that it looked like they were targeting the EQ crowd (or some such thing) and that he had "no desire to go through that again".

That's a statement that pretty much "ends that". He's out of the running. Not to his taste. He is an ex-parrot.

And while his statement that this type of game was fine 19 years ago (and implying it's not fine now (?)) seems a bit myopic (why does there need to be a statute of limitations on types of games?) I believe him that he doesn't want this anymore.

That's great! But as I said, that sort of leaves him out of certain aspects of the discussion.
    jimmywolfUngoodGyva02

Amathe said:
    YashaX said:

Also, if I may add, In old EQ, when you "con'd" a mob, white meant even-steven, a 50/50 chance of winning, yellow was 2-5 levels above you and had a very good chance of killing you, and red was almost automatic death. "What would you like on your tombstone" was the flavor text of monsters that con'd red.

Players these days are so used to multiple mobs being no problem, dead in 3-4 attacks. This is not how this game's combat works.
    Amathepantaro

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Mendel said:
    Why on Earth would anyone welcome anyone else that doesn't like what that community is about? Is @Theocritus going to suddenly change his mind and embrace the game, as is? I highly doubt it.

The dissenting views are more disruptive than any backlash from the community. And no one, no one, discouraged anything. In fact, they encouraged him to find a game that fits his own personal tastes. How is that "hateful" and "exclusive?"

Pantheon, by how it's designed, IS a kind of exclusive community. Only the players interested in its kind of gameplay are interested. It is niche. It is NOT for everyone.State your opinion and move on. Sorry, but this game is not for you. That's a fact, not an attack.
    UngoodGyva02Gdemami

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Amathe said:
    I'm actually glad you did, for I don't follow the Pantheon forum. I did, however watch the Twitch stream live.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR