Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Gorgon - Should You Buy It Now? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I just made it to the town in the screenshot...  So i retract the statement that the screenshot was from another game, but still in a shrunk down screenshot it looks much better than it does in game, especially with all the chunky chugging going on.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited March 2018
    Dvora said:
    I just made it to the town in the screenshot...  So i retract the statement that the screenshot was from another game, but still in a shrunk down screenshot it looks much better than it does in game, especially with all the chunky chugging going on.

Well, this is larger. I still don't think it looks bad. There IS chunking in game though, at least in the town.

edit: ok apparently the forums don't want me to make this larger, just weirder.
    UngoodOctagon7711Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited March 2018
    this game had my yes for years now, and ive been playing it non-stop since i found it on thehiveleader's videos(ok fine one stop for college :( sue me).

kinda sad to see all the people who wouldnt give the game a look just for the graphics. not that i dont get that or wanna say they arent important, but i do think to some people this is too much of a deal-breaker that holds them from finding a true gem(and its not just in this game's case)
    Ice-Queen[Deleted User]
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Torval said:

keithian said:

I love when people make excuses for the graphics by comparing games to the popularity of something on a mobile phone, as if this site is that focus of person. The reality is that just as there are 'many' that may not care about the graphics, there are 'many' that do. I believe a good game should have both good graphics and good gameplay, not one or the other. I realize that what is good to look at is subjective, as I know some love the more Asian influence, while others like me prefer more realism...which is why Witcher 3 is my favorite RPG of all time...and to many others..it was there's too.

As far as an MMO goes, WOW I felt looked great in 2004 and for several years after, LOTRO looked good for many years, AOC looked great, GW2 looked great, I really like the look of Elder Scrolls Online...and personally I feel all these games had many other great attributes which had me playing them for quite some time. There is no way I can play a game that looks like something from the 1990s. I didn't get my GTX 1080ti to look at horrible graphics. If I want to loose myself in something where graphics doesn't matter, I go read a book.

You bought a 1080ti so you throw the name around. You don't need a 1080ti for pretty graphics.

What? That made no sense.

There Is Always Hope!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2018
    pretty cool scene as came over a hilltop in Serb hills

Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scorchien said:

I find the people that say it looks like EQ/AC and all other ancient MMOs hilarious. Because it really, really doesn't. It looks clunky and dare I say a bit primitive but comparing it to those games graphically is utter nonsense.

It also recieved several graphical updates over the last few years so it looks quite a bit better if you haven't played it for a while.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScorchienKyleran[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Is that The Hive Leader doing the voice over for the advert on steam ? 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    lahnmir said:
    Scorchien said:

I find the people that say it looks like EQ/AC and all other ancient MMOs hilarious. Because it really, really doesn't. It looks clunky and dare I say a bit primitive but comparing it to those games graphically is utter nonsense.

It also recieved several graphical updates over the last few years so it looks quite a bit better if you haven't played it for a while.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The graphics are inconsistent across zones.  The server seems to have issues with more than 25 or 30 people in an area as well.  FPS drops big time server side.
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Gave in to Saturday Afternoon boredom and bought this one,  After 5 hours here is my initial thoughts. Terrible graphics and unable to run on ultra with a 980 ti, Animations are ass as well, im told these are place holders . So the game sucks right? Nope iv been really enjoying it. The reality is the core game , exploration and just overall feel is so good you kind of look past the ugly. To be honest the ugly comes from the animations more than the graphics themselves. There is a very free feel to the game, Its a grind but a good grind. I won't bore you with to many other details other than to say , yes i think the game is worth 30 bucks . 

Scorchien[Deleted User]pantaro[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Deyirn said:
    At this point, NO. Even if we disregard the horrible graphics (not that if they were shinier it would be better, but even the character models look deformed; also Vanilla WoW's graphics look better than this maxed out), the game doesn't have much to offer, you can't do much in the game aside from leveling your useless skills and lying to yourself that it was good purchase. Maybe in two years if they add stuff, maybe then the game will amount to something. And hopefully they will leave Early Access before they shut it down.
    Are you really sure your "profile" as an adventurer isn't lying to you?

This excerpt from the Steam page lists many unique or long lost activities which are available in this game.

Graphics may be as you say, but saying there's nothing to do is just being disingenuous.

AN IMMERSIVE WORLD

When you play Project: Gorgon, we want you to feel as if you’re immersed in a whole new virtual world. Rather than trying to manage this with just graphics and excessive backstory, we’ve designed the game with dozens of gameplay features that make you feel like you’re really there interacting with the world, such as:

• Each non-player (NPC) you meet has their own goals and interest, and reward players that choose to be their friend.
    • You can drop items on the ground, and other players can pick them up. What’s so great about that? Imagine laying down a trail of literal (virtual) breadcrumbs to guide your friends (or lure your enemies) into the woods.
    • Shopkeepers keep inventory, so you can buy items that other players have sold to them. Want to help out new players? Sell your cast-off items to the shopkeeper in the new player zone and watch the new players go to town.
    • If you are on fire, you can jump into a lake to put it out. This type of mechanic can have a subtle effect on your strategies, especially when you are fighting a fire mage!
    • You can inscribe messages onto items, write books, and even leave notes for other players. Make your name as an in-game poet, or pronounce your greatness to the world!

UNIQUE EXPERIENCES

In Project: Gorgon you kill monsters - a lot of them - and you take their loot. In order to keep the experience fun and interesting, we’ve developed unique combat experiences to keep the fights feeling fresh. The loot is randomly generated, monsters have unique abilities, and dungeons have puzzles, traps, and terrifying bosses! The combat skills are entirely free-form. You can learn as many combat skills as you want, and use any two of them at the same time to create your own personal “class.” Project: Gorgon features dozens to choose from, including:

• Battle Chemistry: Create huge explosions, inject yourself with mysterious mutagens or program a pet golem!
    • Unarmed Combat: Grapple and control enemies using a situational-aware combo system that varies based on where you are and what day it is.
    • Animal Handling: Tame animals and train them to become ferocious fighters. Then breed your best and sell their offspring to other players.
    • Necromancy: Seek out corpses and graveyards to raise an undead army. No graveyard around? Well, there are always the corpses of your friends.
    • Cow: Got turned into a cow by that boss? That sucks. But learn some kicks and how to stampede, and you'll be right back out there kicking grass in no time!
    • That’s just a few! There’s also Sword Fighting, Combat Psychology, Staff Fighting, Sigil Scripting, Mentalism, and more.

Player Choices are important in Project: Gorgon. You can learn as many skills as you want, but sometimes power comes with downsides. You can become infected with lycanthropy and gain access to very powerful skill sets. As a lycanthrope, you are able to roam the world in a pack or as a lone wolf; however, when there is a full moon (which is tied to the real world lunar calendar) you are stuck in your beast form. There’s no cure for lycanthropy.

You can become a Druid - which will give you great power, but you have to vow to drop everything when there’s an emergency involving nature. It could be a forest fire, a monster invasion or even a pesky insect. Nature never lets you ignore your duties, ever.

New opportunists come open, but others will be closed. Can you bear heavy burdens in exchange for greater power?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

The community is a critical aspect of Project: Gorgon. We strive to maintain a strong, engaged community, supporting our players through:

• Live Events with a focus on story.
    • Mechanisms For player-created quest content.
    • Player housing (limited and instanced).
    • Player-managed shops and vendor stalls.
    • In-game communication tools like bulletin boards.
    • Bookshelves where you can write and submit your own books and stories (and players can vote on their favorites).

[Deleted User]Scorchienpantaro[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

And just to piggyback off Kylerans response , heres a link to Wiki heres what you can do .. And yes all these skills work have purpose are functional and useful..

http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page

[Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    I think a weekend trial would be a great idea. I would give it a go. But the problem for me is that the market is flooded and I have a rotation of MMO's I play now and while the ideas in the game are interesting to me, the problem for me is when I play a game with older graphics it feels like a step back in my gaming. Perhaps the game is great but at this point I wouldn't spend the money they are asking to find out. I do hope they do well though.

Hopefully they get a solid playerbase that lets them sustain the game because a big problem are people who play the game like an RGP to experience the content and move on.
    I don't think this game's target audience is someone who plays "a rotation of MMOs," its more for the purist looking for a more singular, long term experience.

Or as we like to say, "your kind doesn't belong around here."

;)
    I think there's room for all kinds of players in the game. You may not be able to go into the toughest areas and dungeons or have super skills, but there is stuff to do and world to exist in no matter how advanced your character is. It is true though that the game isn't fast progression and that playing a little here and there won't progress you far. I've just never felt my character irrelevant or my time poorly spent as a result.
    I'm personally loving it.

I played in early Alpha and it has come a looong way.

I still hadn't gotten my key but decided I wanted to play this weekend so ponied up the $30 (I'm sure they can use it) and was actually able to link my account and was happy to find I could access my old character/name which somehow vanished in early alpha.

Played a bit but then decided I needed to go to the tutorial so deleted and remade my old character and I've been having a blast for over 4 hours. Just on the tutorial island.

This is wayyy closer to the type of game I want to play than, most to all mmorpg's out there.

And while aesthetics are very important to me, I sort of adopt a "it's retro" attitude and it's doable.

The community is helpful and I like the figuring things out. I like that areas have very hard mobs with easy mobs. I like the discovery.

For an indy two person dev team I think they've done a good job.
    @Sovrath your post pretty much got me like screw the price i need this game in my life and to support the devs!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    OK, I tried the alpha and I like it.  Love exploration, decent combat for old school, adding notes to my map, having a notebook, and the graphics are decent when set to ultra. 

Does anyone know, if I buy the steam version, if it can be upgraded easily to patron?
    Scorchienpantaro

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

OK, I tried the alpha and I like it.  Love exploration, decent combat for old school, adding notes to my map, having a notebook, and the graphics are decent when set to ultra. 

Does anyone know, if I buy the steam version, if it can be upgraded easily to patron?
    and yes

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Scorchien said:

and yes

Great thanks. :smile:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I see potential, but golly, they need to upgrade their 8088 and dialup server. 500 may be the most they've ever had online, but even if thats on only one server, the lag is intolerable.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

crankked said:

People who play solely for graphics are half the reason games are such shit now a days. WAY too many games favor graphics over gameplay and that makes for a lot of bad games on the market.

Solely for graphics, pffft. Show me one person ever who said, the game is shit, but has great graphics, I love it!

I'm sorry, but game devs and the business that run them are the reason games are horrible. If devs could get over their egos and compromise a little there could be one great classic MMORPG coming out instead of 6 ranging from garbage to mediocre niche. Sure the players are also at fault, but we are pretty starving for a good game. Staring people eat any garbage. And yes, guilty.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Rhygarth said:

Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

Even Anarchy online looks better than this and it's 18 years old

And yet, even now in this day and age of 4k monitors, pixelated games are thriving. Who would have thought? I think it proves that If a game is fun, it seems graphics don't matter to many people.

What can i tell you people love nostalgia, It dose not make these games any good tho

Neither does graphics make a game good. Good gameplay systems and content make a good game. In fact, "good graphics" almost guarantees a game will be awful and made for stupid console kids and even stupider adults that should know better.

The best games will always put all the resources into the gameplay and content, not graphics and animations.
    [Deleted User]
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Someone a little while back stated this game was adding skill caps so there would be actual character building. When I've played it in the past there was not any caps and one character could increase all skills. Is this still true? Being able to acquire all skills is the same to me as not having any skills. UO, AC, etc, work because they have character building. Games like Runescape without caps are as appealing to me as Toontown, Minecraft, and Stardew Valley.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited March 2018
    blamo2000 said:
    Someone a little while back stated this game was adding skill caps so there would be actual character building. When I've played it in the past there was not any caps and one character could increase all skills. Is this still true? Being able to acquire all skills is the same to me as not having any skills. UO, AC, etc, work because they have character building. Games like Runescape without caps are as appealing to me as Toontown, Minecraft, and Stardew Valley.
    Nvm, read it wrong.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Its worth it if you like games that makes you think.

Nanulak

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited March 2018

crankked said:

People who play solely for graphics are half the reason games are such shit now a days. WAY too many games favor graphics over gameplay and that makes for a lot of bad games on the market.

Solely for graphics, pffft. Show me one person ever who said, the game is shit, but has great graphics, I love it!

I'm sorry, but game devs and the business that run them are the reason games are horrible. If devs could get over their egos and compromise a little there could be one great classic MMORPG coming out instead of 6 ranging from garbage to mediocre niche. Sure the players are also at fault, but we are pretty starving for a good game. Staring people eat any garbage. And yes, guilty.

Its not that people play games just for the graphics, it is that MMO companies felt and still feel they have to keep up with solo RPG's in the graphics arena. This led to a graphics first type of design and features ranging from housing to raids were downgraded or dropped. It also led to issues with large scale numbers of players, The Witcher does not have to have thousands of players online at the same time in the same game does it?

And yes, sometimes I have felt I have eaten garbage because there was nothing else out there. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    just played the Alpha , I liked the island but the mainland was boring to me, at this point just not enough content. lag and rubber banding in the cities were brutal.
    Kyleran
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    May be a nostalgy but I love this game,I will suppirt it in any way I can untill fir some reason I can't play games anymore.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Not unless they drop the cost by half.  I get it, I like to support devs who I feel deserve it and these two have done great.....but I can't justify paying AAA price for a A title.