Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the pre-Alpha cash shop items flow...

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Kyleran said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, the Devs aren't listening to me in any way, so this is all just a fun theoretical exercise to explore possible ways to expand on post launch revenues.

Oh I can almost guarantee they at least read what you post.  I KNOW they track everything I post on here and other places.   They won't acknowledge it but they have actually implemented some of the ideas that were first discussed here.   It happened with the "time" issue where we pointed out the flaw and they changed the way times flows (still think they need further tweaks) and it's happening with the death penalty. I honestly think they read these ideas more than they do their own forums sometimes :)

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Actually no.  Just Slapshot1188

KyleranYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    AnOldFart said:
    But paying for titles after release just makes it impossible for some people to obtain those titles, this in itself would make the game totally unbalanced in favour of the rich
    If they don't have to pay after launch then that is a punishment to those that bought the title pre-launch, basically they had to pay for something that everyone else can get for free.. that ain't right.

Nahh make em pay. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, the Devs aren't listening to me in any way, so this is all just a fun theoretical exercise to explore possible ways to expand on post launch revenues.

Oh I can almost guarantee they at least read what you post.  I KNOW they track everything I post on here and other places.   They won't acknowledge it but they have actually implemented some of the ideas that were first discussed here.   It happened with the "time" issue where we pointed out the flaw and they changed the way times flows (still think they need further tweaks) and it's happening with the death penalty. I honestly think they read these ideas more than they do their own forums sometimes :)

OMG, now I can say I have heard it all. Hell, you can't even spell Caspain's name right and you are that arrogant to assume your opinion is of any importance to SBS? One thing about it Slapshot, you never fail to make me laugh. 
    Post edited by mystichaze on
    Slapshot1188AshyLarry24YashaX
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    But paying for titles after release just makes it impossible for some people to obtain those titles, this in itself would make the game totally unbalanced in favour of the rich
    If they don't have to pay after launch then that is a punishment to those that bought the title pre-launch, basically they had to pay for something that everyone else can get for free.. that ain't right.

Nahh make em pay. 
    Well if I understand it right thise that paid pre launch know that the titles they have bought are fully obtainable after release without another purchase.
    If that Knowledge was their prepurchase then fairness has been maintained
    AshyLarry24Asm0deusmystichaze
  • AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    This forum has reached a whole new level of stupidity that I honestly didn't know was possible. I want to believe slapshot is trolling because that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read posted in a forum in my life.  Not only do you think the devs read this forum religiously you honestly think they seek out your specific posts.  Like they're really interested in what a guy with 0 experience working in the industry thinks, and hold it to some high regard.

I'm sorry but that is pathetic, and shows a massive inferiority complex.  I suggest getting help to figure that shit out.

YashaX
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Slapshot has been taking credit for things he FEELS like he's done for years. He's good because he actually pushes back and has good points, but his ego makes him think he's some sort of hero that changes the way publishers and developers think. In reality, he is just a voice among many in all cases I've seen thus far.
    AshyLarry24AnOldFart
    AnOldFart said:
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:

Nahh make em pay. 
    Well if I understand it right thise that paid pre launch know that the titles they have bought are fully obtainable after release without another purchase.
    If that Knowledge was their prepurchase then fairness has been maintained
    No, it was known it could be taken from them.. it was never said that the person taking it would be able to get it for free.

So SBS is under no obligation to make becoming a King or Noble after launch free on any level. So the price could very well and fairly be the same, just with the added fun of needing to fight the person with the crown first.

And that makes sense to me.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Kyleran said:

OMG, now I can say I have heard it all. Hell, you can't even spell Caspain's name right and you are that arrogant to assume your opinion is of any importance to SBS? One thing about it Slapshot, you never fail to make me laugh. 
    Er, point of order, but that would be "Caspian's" as the correct spelling if I'm not mistaken.

I won't laugh too much though... 

;)

Slapshot1188YashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Slapshot has been taking credit for things he FEELS like he's done for years. He's good because he actually pushes back and has good points, but his ego makes him think he's some sort of hero that changes the way publishers and developers think. In reality, he is just a voice among many in all cases I've seen thus far.
    I agree, he can make good points, but holy shit this is so freaking cringe.  I would expect a comment like that from a 13 year old idiot with an over inflated ego to cover up his extremely low self exteem.  I don't consider Slapshot an idiot, and he doesn't come off as someone ultra young, so it's very shocking to me he could say something so incredibly stupid.
    YashaX
    edited March 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    Apparently have tipped  the size limit or something,  so starting a new reply.

Anyway enough on that,

My opinion if the developers went whole hog on the p2w they would probably reduce their perspective player base by a significant percentage (and remember this is already a niche game).
    They are in a rock and a hard place, they needed the cash to make the game but they have alienated those that don't want to Kickstarter a game...
    Agreed, enough on historical discussions on peerage, not really relevant to my point, which is to find additional means to monetize the game post launch.

Where we differ in opinion is I believe the pre-launch monetization model is already perceived by a large number of gamers as Pay for Advantage, if not Pay to Win. 

Since that horse is already out of the barn and can't be put back, I feel they are better to market towards customers who have no problem with some Pay for Advantage, and sell some of the same advantages post launch along with perhaps some new ideas, hence I ran with the idea of selling titles and kingdoms a 2nd time.

This is a territory conquest game, players of such generally eschew outright pay to win, items of power, (See the recent loot box dust up in BF2) but they will tolerate selling things such as in game gold, experience boosters and the like which has been proven in previous games such as EVE.

So the question is, has the pre-launch advantage scheme tainted the market with a PFA perception that they are better off embracing it and catering to customers who have no issue with it (See Entropa Universe) or try and market to those who would disdain said purchases?

While the size of the latter market is probably much larger, they likely won't play a game like this where there's permadeath and a risk of losing everything they have, even the stuff they paid for.

When all said and done, it's up to the Devs's to decide how to best monetize the game, and they should not make promises today which may be non sensible when the game finally launches 2 or 3 years from now.

Also, while I've traded a few barbs with Jeremy here on these forums when he used to visit, I'm sure he's never read any of my suggestions, so fans can rest assured nothing I've proposed is likely to be incorporated into the design.

AnOldFartYashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I agree, he can make good points, but holy shit this is so freaking cringe.  I would expect a comment like that from a 13 year old idiot with an over inflated ego to cover up his extremely low self exteem.  I don't consider Slapshot an idiot, and he doesn't come off as someone ultra young, so it's very shocking to me he could say something so incredibly stupid.
    I'm honored that you all care so much :)

I know for a FACT that Caspien discusses this forum and a certain Harbinger.  You guys think that just because someone gets a title of developer they become something beyond human.  Developers are very human, believe me.  I communicate with a few frequently.  They have similar concerns, hopes, and dreams just like everyone else.  And yes, they follow large gaming sites like MMORPG just like we do.  And yes, they seek out posts from certain influencers religiously.

If YOU think they don't well, I think that says more about you than me, but to each their own. 

I really think I need to start some kind of Youtube channel or something to let me monetize my many obsessive fans.  ;)   

But enough about me!  My extremely low self-esteem, idiotic, egotistical, inferiority complex self cannot take the attention.  Lets go back to the Pre-Alpha Cash Shop discussion.  It's quite popular with over 2.1k views so far!  Say whatever you like about MMORPG.COM, but none can dispute it's the focal point for MMORPG discussions!

YashaXLinif

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    Apparently have tipped  the size limit or something,  so starting a new reply.

Anyway enough on that,

My opinion if the developers went whole hog on the p2w they would probably reduce their perspective player base by a significant percentage (and remember this is already a niche game).
    They are in a rock and a hard place, they needed the cash to make the game but they have alienated those that don't want to Kickstarter a game...
    Agreed, enough on historical discussions on peerage, not really relevant to my point, which is to find additional means to monetize the game post launch.

Where we differ in opinion is I believe the pre-launch monetization model is already perceived by a large number of gamers as Pay for Advantage, if not Pay to Win. 

Since that horse is already out of the barn and can't be put back, I feel they are better to market towards customers who have no problem with some Pay for Advantage, and sell some of the same advantages post launch along with perhaps some new ideas, hence I ran with the idea of selling titles and kingdoms a 2nd time.

This is a territory conquest game, players of such generally eschew outright pay to win, items of power, (See the recent loot box dust up in BF2) but they will tolerate selling things such as in game gold, experience boosters and the like which has been proven in previous games such as EVE.

So the question is, has the pre-launch advantage scheme tainted the market with a PFA perception that they are better off embracing it and catering to customers who have no issue with it (See Entropa Universe) or try and market to those who would disdain said purchases?

While the size of the latter market is probably much larger, they likely won't play a game like this where there's permadeath and a risk of losing everything they have, even the stuff they paid for.

When all said and done, it's up to the Devs's to decide how to best monetize the game, and they should not make promises today which may be non sensible when the game finally launches 2 or 3 years from now.

Also, while I've traded a few barbs with Jeremy here on these forums when he used to visit, I'm sure he's never read any of my suggestions, so fans can rest assured nothing I've proposed is likely to be incorporated into the design.

** *edit* wow I looked condescending there, removed that paragraph because of that...
    sorry**

Also I actually agree with your post there, but I worry about what would happen to their player base if they went "whole hog" so to speak
    Post edited by AnOldFart on
    YashaX
    edited March 2018
    I'm honored that you all care so much :)

I know for a FACT that Caspien discusses this forum and a certain Harbinger.  You guys think that just because someone gets a title of developer they become something beyond human.  Developers are very human, believe me.  I communicate with a few frequently.  They have similar concerns, hopes, and dreams just like everyone else.  And yes, they follow large gaming sites like MMORPG just like we do.  And yes, they seek out posts from certain influencers religiously.

If YOU think they don't well, I think that says more about you than me, but to each their own. 

I really think I need to start some kind of Youtube channel or something to let me monetize my many obsessive fans.  ;)   

But enough about me!  My extremely low self-esteem, idiotic, egotistical, inferiority complex self cannot take the attention.  Lets go back to the Pre-Alpha Cash Shop discussion.  It's quite popular with over 2.1k views so far!  Say whatever you like about MMORPG.COM, but none can dispute it's the focal point for MMORPG discussions!

They also have an education and experience on the subjects they talk about Slapshot.  It's not like these are just gamers, they went to school for multiple years to get a degree ect.  I think the way you describe the devs, is very telling to what your mind set is, and your lack of humility. No one thinks that devs are inhuman.  But I think anyone with a brain would have the self awareness to say "I don't know as much as an expert in the field".  BUt alas this is the internet where everyone is an expert, and better than everyone else at it.

And when you say things like, "the devs look for my posts" or whatever, then yeah you're going to get attention. Saying silly things can get you attention.  If that was a troll bravo.
    YashaX
    And again you place them on a pedestal.  

They aren't freaking doctors who became MDs after 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and have board certification. 

You are literally talking about a guy leading his first game team with a BS in Psychology. The same guy who hasn't been able to attract a real publisher yet and who has consistently over-estimated his ability to deliver.   He was wrong about such basics as how much time it would take and how much money it would take.  Not just slightly wrong either... literally off by years.  Even the "Fabric" he built the game on proved to be the wrong technology (SpatialOS) and that was supposed to be his forte...

So has he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years?  HELL YEAH.  But if he had listened 2 years ago, he would likely not have been laying off some of his staff a few months ago.

If the experts in the industry believed he could deliver the majority of what he has said, they would be fighting each other to throw money at him.   Can he prove them all wrong?  Sure, it's happened.   Has ANYTHING he has done to date given confidence that will really happen?  Hell no.

So yeah... as I said I happen to know for a FACT that he knows about what gets posted on these forums and by whom.

Now let get back to the discussion at hand.

@Kyleran I definitely think they need to change their monetization.  Selling massive pre-launch advantages and then stopping is the worst of both worlds.  Since they started down the Pay for Advantage path they may as well continue... 

The question is... how?

Your proposal to continue to sell titles after launch is interesting, but I don't know if I see them going down that path.  

The other wild-card is also their future sale of the Soul Packs in the store.  These could be a bit like Lootboxes in that you don't know what you are going to get until you open it.  It could be intended to drive repeat purchases in the hopes of getting "the right" soul for your character.

YashaX

They aren't freaking doctors who became MDs after 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and have board certification. 

You are literally talking about a guy leading his first game team with a BS in Psychology. The same guy who hasn't been able to attract a real publisher yet and who has consistently over-estimated his ability to deliver.   He was wrong about such basics as how much time it would take and how much money it would take.  Not just slightly wrong either... literally off by years.  Even the "Fabric" he built the game on proved to be the wrong technology (SpatialOS) and that was supposed to be his forte...

So has he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years?  HELL YEAH.  But if he had listened 2 years ago, he would likely not have been laying off some of his staff a few months ago.

If the experts in the industry believed he could deliver the majority of what he has said, they would be fighting each other to throw money at him.   Can he prove them all wrong?  Sure, it's happened.   Has ANYTHING he has done to date given confidence that will really happen?  Hell no.

So yeah... as I said I happen to know for a FACT that he knows about what gets posted on these forums and by whom.

@Kyleran I definitely think they need to change their monetization.  Selling massive pre-launch advantages and then stopping is the worst of both worlds.  Since they started down the Pay for Advantage path they may as well continue... 

The question is... how?

Your proposal to continue to sell titles after launch is interesting, but I don't know if I see them going down that path.  

The other wild-card is also their future sale of the Soul Packs in the store.  These could be a bit like Lootboxes in that you don't know what you are going to get until you open it.  It could be intended to drive repeat purchases in the hopes of getting "the right" soul for your character.

Well, that is a good idea actually, sort of like the EA FIFA soccer card game.  Players spend profusely opening packs hoping for that one magic player which makes their team unstoppable. 

Never mind the odds are so low one player reportedly bought and opened over 1000 packs with very limited success.

But it does bring in money by the truckload, so they could do  the same here, with one soul in a zillion being able to cast magic well, something I believe they said would be restricted.

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited March 2018

The question is... how?

There is so much wrong in what you are saying here Slapshot

• SBS has attracted several publishers but is just unwilling to change the scope of the game to appease them. 
    • SpatialOS wasn't even considered to be part of the fabric of the game till after Kickstarter had already begun, and over time SBS found programs that could provide the same benefit they needed SpatialOS for at a cheaper price. 
    • There isn't a game out there that has ever reached deadlines on time. 
    • I agree they are probably periodically watching these forums in addition to many other gaming forums out there. Why? Because any kind of publicity has an impact on their game. But it certainly -isn't- because Slapshot says!
    • Layoffs are sometimes just part of doing business, no matter what company you run. 

Tell you what, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and step up to produce your own game since you are such a pro. Till then, really you are just one opinion in a sea of millions. 
    YashaX

There is so much wrong in what you are saying here Slapshot

• SBS has attracted several publishers but is just unwilling to change the scope of the game to appease them. 
    • SpatialOS wasn't even considered to be part of the fabric of the game till after Kickstarter had already begun, and over time SBS found programs that could provide the same benefit they needed SpatialOS for at a cheaper price. 
    • There isn't a game out there that has ever reached deadlines on time. 
    • I agree they are probably periodically watching these forums in addition to many other gaming forums out there. Why? Because any kind of publicity has an impact on their game. But it certainly -isn't- because Slapshot says!
    • Layoffs are sometimes just part of doing business, no matter what company you run. 

Tell you what, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and step up to produce your own game since you are such a pro. Till then, really you are just one opinion in a sea of millions. 
    1. No evidence of that what-so-ever. And even if there were what I said still applies.  If they THOUGHT he could deliver what he said they would be fighting each other to get in on it.
    2. Bullshit. And Caspien's own words were that it was the fabric the game would be built on.
    3. Oh well then it makes perfect sense to propose that you are going to create one from scratch with revolutionary features, an untested team, and do it in record time right?
    4. Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night
    5. Yup. And when you run massively over your project timeline and costs and haven't found the publisher you promised... it's not a "good" thing.

For one in a million I sure attract commentary from some of you like flies to honey :)  In return I give you my own challenge!   If I am just one in a million feel free to ignore each and every one of my posts.  I bet you can't do it  ;)

YashaXLinif

Kyleran said:

The question is... how?

Well, that is a good idea actually, sort of like the EA FIFA soccer card game.  Players spend profusely opening packs hoping for that one magic player which makes their team unstoppable. 

Never mind the odds are so low one player reportedly bought and opened over 1000 packs with very limited success.

But it does bring in money by the truckload, so they could do  the same here, with one soul in a zillion being able to cast magic well, something I believe they said would be restricted.

I'm not so sure how it would be received.  It does seem like that is the goal though, otherwise why have random souls in packs?

As far as the magic talents... so far he is sticking to the idea that it will be character specific (not account) and that you will have to discover you are talented by doing some random act in game.   Not so sure that is going to stay as the final mechanism...

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited March 2018
    I have to admit that the development of this game has been the most massive live RPG I have ever witnessed! 
    Galadourn said:
    I have to admit that the development of this game has been the most massive live RPG I have ever witnessed! 
    The devs are literally Role Playing a Development Team :)
    EponyxDamorGaladourn

Well, I don't put anyone on a pedestal, but I will say, when you start any kind of large scale creative work, there are always a legion of critics that pop up that want you to fail, so as a defense mechanic, you pretty much need to zone them out, or only deal with them then though a serious filter.

So in short, if a head developer has heard of you, it would be second or third hand information after all the BS and whiny shit was removed. 

or at least that would be case if I was role-playing a developer.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Galadourn said:
    The devs are literally Role Playing a Development Team :)
    not just the Devs, the prospective players are also partaking in this
    Slapshot1188

The question is... how?

1.  You don't have to have a doctrine to be a mechanic either.  However I'll take the guys opinions who went to school for 2 years has worked on cars for 20 years over the guy who has driven a car before lol.

2. I love that extrapolation by the way.  I say you should have the humbleness to realize you don't know everything, and that you aren't as knowledgeable about this as someone who has a degree and been in the industry for 15 years.  And you turn from that too "WELL HE'S NOT EXACTLY A DOCTOR!".  Yeah no shit sherlock, no one said he is.  I'm just saying he knows a lot more than you do about making games.  

3. Like Mystic said, there has been 0 problems attracting publishers.  Publishers started contacting SBS toward the end of 2016.  It's being able to keep their concept without making drastic changes toward monetizing. 

4. From literally every person who has explained this to me who actually have credentials in this field, the loss of Spatial OS is relatively meaningless.  But I guess since slapshot thinks the whole Spatial OS change is a big deal, then it must be.  Again this is you believing your own uneducated opinion instead of looking to people who actually know what they're talking about.  They once said it was "the fabric".  WHo the fuck cares?  You can make a shirt out of many different fabrics.

5. What expert in the industry says it can't be done?  Show me someone who is experienced in the field who thinks that none of what Caspian says is possible.  And Publishers aren't masters of the industry.  THey are businessmen.  You are completely not understanding the industry if you honestly think that computer science experts make the decision on where to spend multi billion dollar companies money.  If you haven't noticed, no game companies are taking risks in these days.

6. I love it when nameless, faceless people on the internet criticize people's credentials, especially when they obviously have none in the field they are talking about.

7. Oh and BTW, Lol, at your previous comment about having some secret relationship with a developer.  So cringe bro.

mystichaze
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    ugh, i thought this was a big name MMO.  but i guess its another cash shop game

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.