Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the pre-Alpha cash shop items flow...

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    Who cares?  Don't like it?  Don't buy it.

I agree! I don't like it, so I will not buy it.
    Ungood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Now where would be the fun in that?

Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

This is a game that's been on my radar since it was announced, I feel the same way about this one as I do crowfall. Love the thought, pvp, whatever else behind it but these cash shops put a giant red flag on it. You are paying for an advantage in a pvp game, its not going to go well in the long run.
    Even better, you can only purchase your advantage pre launch, but not post which IMO isn't an improvement and may deprive the game of needed  revenue.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2018
    Asm0deus said:
    Mendel said:
    ...snip...

It's fairly simple really.

They are allowing p2w pre launch because they want people that join at launch or post launch to enter a world that's already "alive" with established kingdoms, trades and a somewhat working if newish economy.

They are allowing pre launch p2w with the explanation or idea that otherwise if everyone started at zero at launch (no kings, barons, mayors, tradesmen, farmers or economy) or if there was a wipe then it would be like everyone would have to start from caveman era and it would take a long time to get shit rolling so to speak.
    them.

Let's dispense with the idea this plan is a good one,  just a "necessary evil" in order to fund the game's development.

A far better idea would be to take CCPs approach in EVE seeding a portion of the world with a NPC kingdom with all the necessary resources to let new players to build up their skills and resources before venturing out to "claim their kingdom."

Would have been far more fair, interesting, and have an added bonus of a safe (or safer) kingdom for PVEers or even rogue elements who don't wish to join a kingdom to base from.

It even gives a defeated kingdom a place to regroup, lick their wounds, and prepare for their next campaign. 

I understand why Caspian's approach is necessary,  but quit with the BS spin he invented on how this is beneficial,  its just a reach that isn't really valid .
    WellspringSlapshot1188MendelNephethYashaX

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    Kyleran said:

Yup.. everyone knows the real game is all about fussing that the game needs to change to be how you want it to be or you won't buy it.

As opposed to you know.. just not buying the games you don't like.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:

Let's dispense with the idea this plan is a good one,  just a "necessary evil" in order to fund the game's development.

A far better idea would be to take CCPs approach in EVE seeding a portion of the world with a NPC kingdom with all the necessary resources to let new players to build up their skills and resources before venturing out to "claim their kingdom."
    i agree that it's a necessary step to fund the game's development, and though as i have mentioned several times that i do not personally like cash shops, i support it due to the practical lack of other alternatives that wouldn't compromise the vision of the game

you make an interesting point regarding the NPC kingdoms

I had proposed having 8 kingdoms at launch - 6 player and 2 NPC

I believe that the addition of 2 NPC kingdoms would have enriched the 'story' on each server and by having them, would have offered a broader, richer, and fun range of possibilities

however they have already adjusted from the original plan of 3-5 kingdoms per server to 6, and might be that by going to 8 kingdoms it would have shrunk them down too much
    Kyleran said:

i agree that it's a necessary step to fund the game's development, and though as i have mentioned several times that i do not personally like cash shops, i support it due to the practical lack of other alternatives that wouldn't compromise the vision of the game

you make an interesting point regarding the NPC kingdoms

I had proposed having 8 kingdoms at launch - 6 player and 2 NPC

I believe that the addition of 2 NPC kingdoms would have enriched the 'story' on each server and by having them, would have offered a broader, richer, and fun range of possibilities

however they have already adjusted from the original plan of 3-5 kingdoms per server to 6, and might be that by going to 8 kingdoms it would have shrunk them down too much
    As they won't be changing core designs there is the opportunity for a kingdom to try and operate as a "neutral haven" (think the hotel in the John Wick movies) where everyone is free to gather to trade or what not and be protected from attack. 

Not sure if game designs support such though, could be cool if they did. 

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

Yup.. everyone knows the real game is all about fussing that the game needs to change to be how you want it to be or you won't buy it.

C'mon,  you love it down here under the bridge and in the mire with the rest of us.

;)
    Ungood

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Mendel said:
    ...snip...

They are allowing p2w pre launch because they want people that join at launch or post launch to enter a world that's already "alive" with established kingdoms, trades and a somewhat working if newish economy.

They are allowing pre launch p2w with the explanation or idea that otherwise if everyone started at zero at launch (no kings, barons, mayors, tradesmen, farmers or economy) or if there was a wipe then it would be like everyone would have to start from caveman era and it would take a long time to get shit rolling so to speak.
    them.

Would have been far more fair, interesting, and have an added bonus of a safe (or safer) kingdom for PVEers or even rogue elements who don't wish to join a kingdom to base from.

It even gives a defeated kingdom a place to regroup, lick their wounds, and prepare for their next campaign. 

I understand why Caspian's approach is necessary,  but quit with the BS spin he invented on how this is beneficial,  its just a reach that isn't really valid .
    LOL? 

Maybe you're confused on posters but I have been anything BUT a supporter of this game and think many of the ideas are flawed, I been pretty much with Slap on this game.

Maybe next time you quote someone quote the whole damned post especially that last bit where I show that I feel this is a flawed idea instead of getting bent out of shape and accusing someone of "spinning" shit for Caspian.

I made my feelings, about this game and Caspian himself, quite clear way way back when Caspian first posted in these forums.

Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:sifh
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Mendel said:
    ...snip...

them.

LOL? 

Maybe you're confused on posters but I have been anything BUT a supporter of this game and think many of the ideas are flawed, I been pretty much with Slap on this game.

Maybe next time you quote someone quote the whole damned post especially that last bit where I show that I feel this is a flawed idea instead of getting bent out of shape and accusing someone of "spinning" shit for Caspian.

I made my feelings, about this game and Caspian himself, quite clear way way back when Caspian first posted in these forums.

Sigh, you literally presented "their" entire line of reasoning and closed with this 

"You will be able to do everything others have paid pre launch to do, you will just have to start from the bottom rung of the ladder and work your way up in game whereas they allowed people prelaunch to pay to skip ahead, which is how they are funding the game, with what I wrote above as their reasoning.

It does make sense but I feel they are grossly underestimating how awful people can be and how much the pre launch people will troll and how difficult it will be for anyone joining post launch to "catch up" or be able to compete fairly with them."

Despite your final closing statement,  saying that "it does make sense" is hardly the way to show your disagreement with the validity of their defense.

Your point after that about the potential non success is irrelevant.

If you are trying to prove your membership as a Harbinger you are doing it wrong.

Asm0deusYashaX

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    ...snip...
    LOL? 

Sigh, you literally presented "their" entire line of reasoning and closed with this 

"You will be able to do everything others have paid pre launch to do, you will just have to start from the bottom rung of the ladder and work your way up in game whereas they allowed people prelaunch to pay to skip ahead, which is how they are funding the game, with what I wrote above as their reasoning.

It does make sense but I feel they are grossly underestimating how awful people can be and how much the pre launch people will troll and how difficult it will be for anyone joining post launch to "catch up" or be able to compete fairly with them."

Despite your final closing statement,  saying that "it does make sense" is hardly the way to show your disagreement with the validity of their defense.

If you are trying to prove your membership as a Harbinger you are doing it wrong.

Don't be daft.

I was answering someone else that was demanding why Caspian and his underlings though this was okay so I gave him their reasonings as they see it and finished with saying I thought they were underestimating people and how stupid or trolly they can be.

Your post help to show this last bit so thanks for that.

That said trying to show me as somekind of CoE fanboy seriously has blown up in your face as anyone with a memory better than a rabbits would know this to be blatantly stupid and incorrect.

Oh here one post I found real quick from back in 2016

Asm0deus said:
    My god just looked at that thread and the people there.......delusional.  This game screams stay away right now lmao!

Hope to god those that put money in this that haven't drunk the cool aid get refunds pronto!

Who woulda thought it...Star Citizen has been one upped!

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/459061/developer-has-no-objection-to-allowing-high-donating-players-have-gm-accounts-not-p2w-lol/p1

Go puff up your fur elsewhere silly kitten.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Mendel said:
    ...snip...

them.

LOL? 

I'm not entirely convinced that there will be a way to do things post-launch.

The theory is that if someone is selling an item you want to make and sell too (like the cute fox-thing), the way to do that is to kill the person with that item.  However, there's not a clear response if I can take the item, or if Inheritance will cover this.  I've asked this before.  No answer from anyone official or otherwise.

If it's Inheritance, then I can take the fox-critter all I want, but I wouldn't be able to keep it.  He'd spawn an heir and present a will that items were his father's and the items will be reinstated to him.  If I can't take-by-force, all I can do is purchase it in-game.  Given the idea of limited money in-game, that's not going to work for post-launch players.  I'm guessing that the lack of money will essentially make all pre-launch purchases a monopoly, which post-launch players will not have access to.  I understand that there's no plan for 'wild fox-critters' for me to capture and tame myself.

I can't see this being a loot-everything-anytime situation.  The backers (those who are paying for these things) will be protected.  Or there will be whining and complaining of the highest magnitude imaginable.  I just can't envision a company allowing people to pay thousands of dollars for an in-game item and having that item be a free-for-all-grab-the-pixels.  I do not accept that people are buying these items for 'the general good of other people in the game', they're buying for themselves.  They own these items.

I'm betting that players will take the ownership to heart.  So much so that a free-for-all loot scenario may even generate some real life lawsuits.  

I still am unconvinced that it will be possible to take items purchased with real-world money from another player.  I will definitely have to see that in action.

KyleranAsm0deusYashaX

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

The theory is that if someone is selling an item you want to make and sell too (like the cute fox-thing), the way to do that is to kill the person with that item.  However, there's not a clear response if I can take the item, or if Inheritance will cover this.  I've asked this before.  No answer from anyone official or otherwise.

Umm as I understand it, the Foxcelot is a wild animal in the game, they are simply buying a domesticated one. If you want to raise and breed them yourself,  you could simply capture a Fox-things and befriend them, till you had enough to start breeding them on your own, and never once need to deal with the person who bought them ahead of them.

They simply had bypassed the capture and domesticate process.
    YashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

C'mon,  you love it down here under the bridge and in the mire with the rest of us.

;)
    The view of the mire from under the bridge is lovely this time of year.. 

Honestly I might be into this game if it wasnt for the convoluted soul system thing. I would rather just pay for my time per month or whatever and not have to think about anything else.
    Kyleran
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Mendel said:

I can't see this being a loot-everything-anytime situation.  The backers (those who are paying for these things) will be protected.  Or there will be whining and complaining of the highest magnitude imaginable.  I just can't envision a company allowing people to pay thousands of dollars for an in-game item and having that item be a free-for-all-grab-the-pixels.  I do not accept that people are buying these items for 'the general good of other people in the game', they're buying for themselves.  They own these items.

I'm betting that players will take the ownership to heart.  So much so that a free-for-all loot scenario may even generate some real life lawsuits.  

I still am unconvinced that it will be possible to take items purchased with real-world money from another player.  I will definitely have to see that in action.
    there basically isn't anything in this game that can't be taken 

granted it will be easier to steal a sword from a solo player, than take a kingdom from an entire community, however it is to be expected:

KyleranAshyLarry24UngoodLackingMMO
  • AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    edited March 2018
    Honestly I might be into this game if it wasnt for the convoluted soul system thing. I would rather just pay for my time per month or whatever and not have to think about anything else.
    The soul system is one of my favorite parts of the game.  Without it the whole concept sort of falls apart.  Dying in the game isn't a big deal if you can just create a new character as long as you pay your monthly fee. 
    Ungood
  • AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    And the devs have made it pretty clear that after launch there is no protections for anyone after that.   THat's the major reason I don't care about people buying stuff before launch. Unlike some other games the advantages you can buy in CoE can and will be taken away from you. 

I'll be the first one to complain if people are being catered to, too much.  But I honestly think a lot of the people with packages will be overthrown early, because they lack leadership and quite frankly basic social skills.
    Dleatherusmystichaze
    The soul system is one of my favorite parts of the game.  Without it the whole concept sort of falls apart.  Dying in the game isn't a big deal if you can just create a new character as long as you pay your monthly fee. 
    I agree the whole soul system really sells this game to me.
    AshyLarry24

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    One big problem with selling cash shop items this early in the game's development is that it accumulates technical debt.  They're now legally obligated to create these cash shop items when in some cases they might not even be sure how feasible they'll be to implement in the final product.  A foxcelot pet is probably safe enough at least, though, unlike how they sold entire castles and basically entire countries before they've determined just how much their engine and net code can handle.
    YashaX
    Selling map sections, or even whole zones is nothing new, games have been doing that since 2003, or maybe sooner, so that also is a safe bet. Not like making a map area and a castle is going to be hard in the grand scheme of making an MMO.
    YashaX

edited March 2018

Might be cool for a single player game where you can reload your last game save to recover hours of work like Rimworld, but I imagine its gonna cause some keyboard rage in an mmo for a few folks because it will happen at the worst time most likely.

They are asking you not to get attatched to the work you put into your character. That's a big stretch. I just can't play like that. Maybe it's just me but I like that sense of acomplishment I get from building the perfect avatar for my play style in an mmo and being able to show off years of work with titles and gear.

Even in old games like EQ, swg you could kinda tell who the vets were. In a single player game it maters less if I lose progress and have to restart. If I want to start over in an mmo I can make an alt. This is why this game has been such a hard sell to investors, its a gamble for sure.

SWG Bloodfin vet

edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    Selling map sections, or even whole zones is nothing new, games have been doing that since 2003, or maybe sooner, so that also is a safe bet. Not like making a map area and a castle is going to be hard in the grand scheme of making an MMO.
    I'm curious, what game in 2003 sold individual players a map section or zone?
    YashaX

And the devs have made it pretty clear that after launch there is no protections for anyone after that.   THat's the major reason I don't care about people buying stuff before launch. Unlike some other games the advantages you can buy in CoE can and will be taken away from you. 

I'll be the first one to complain if people are being catered to, too much.  But I honestly think a lot of the people with packages will be overthrown early, because they lack leadership and quite frankly basic social skills.
    My bet is everyone of the early package kingdoms will be ousted in under a year unless the devs build in something to protect them.

In EVE even the greatest of organizations eventually lose,  no matter how good they are, but the best regroup and take control of somewhere else....for a time.

Dleatherus

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:

there basically isn't anything in this game that can't be taken 

granted it will be easier to steal a sword from a solo player, than take a kingdom from an entire community, however it is to be expected:

I am aware of what has been said.   Yet, they've also suggested an inheritance system with rules and heirs and laws and contracts to protect some things, pretty much contrary to the idea of winner-take-all.  To me, they appear to be supporting both sides.  That's sending mixed messages.

I'm also skeptical about the nobility and aristocracy making up only 2% of the population.  That's a lot of other players they will need to attract (and retain).  But that's fodder for another thread.

Ungood said:
    Mendel said:

Umm as I understand it, the Foxcelot is a wild animal in the game, they are simply buying a domesticated one. If you want to raise and breed them yourself,  you could simply capture a Fox-things and befriend them, till you had enough to start breeding them on your own, and never once need to deal with the person who bought them ahead of them.

They simply had bypassed the capture and domesticate process.
    I saw somewhere that the fox-critter wasn't a wild creature.  That was one of the selling points. Maybe they've changed their minds.

I'll see if I can dig up a reference.

YashaX

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.