Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - 4.2 Savage Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - 4.2 Savage Review - MMORPG.com

When patch 4.2 was released, one of the first things I did was review the new PvE content. However, I’m not a part of a particularly hardcore group, so I wasn’t able to see much of Savage beyond the first couple of fights. A month later, we’ve cleared Kefka — and started working on taking down his bigger, badder final form. Now I’ve fought through the majority of the encounters, it’s the perfect time to put down my thoughts about the FFXIV’s current round of hardcore content.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I've started 2 months ago on this game, reached max level on few jobs but i don't think i'm ever going to touch the harder stuff. After my encounter with Shinryu normal for the first time it was clear i'm not cut out for the hard stuff like savage. To me it doesn't look like fun at all but frustration.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Signex said:

I've started 2 months ago on this game, reached max level on few jobs but i don't think i'm ever going to touch the harder stuff. After my encounter with Shinryu normal for the first time it was clear i'm not cut out for the hard stuff like savage. To me it doesn't look like fun at all but frustration.

The raid content is pretty awful in this game, and there isn't much else worth playing the game for once you get to end-game - unless you spend all of your time leveling every class in the game.
    zanfire
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I actually enjoy everything about this game besides the end game raid content. If you miss your DDR step you die and potentially wipe the attempt - not my kind of boss encounters.
    JeroKanezanfire
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Eureka going live tonight, so we'll see how that turns out.
  • alamirkurdialamirkurdi Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Play BDO. Its much better
    HALO13
  • mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73

Play BDO. Its much better

yeah, you only need to pay 200-300 dollars a month in pets and food to stay relevant lels
    AlexanderVendiJeroKaneangerbeaver
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    edited March 2018
    This would be my go to game if I didn't play LOTRO. I paid for over a year and maybe played 5 months. I just don't have the time to do both (trying to finish all deeds/achievements on LOTRO).
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Albatroes said:
    yeah ...SE doesnt learn from past mistakes...ugh and this is the system that was on production for months and the main issue is that de the dev team removed 1 instance (2 dungeons instead of 3 ) because the need time to work on Eureka.

Warlyx said:

Albatroes said:

yeah ...SE doesnt learn from past mistakes...ugh and this is the system that was on production for months and the main issue is that de the dev team removed 1 instance (2 dungeons instead of 3 ) because the need time to work on Eureka.

Even delayed an entire patch cycle for....and this is just "part 1" yippie!
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I had a little hope for it too, being a bit closer to FFXI "raid" content.  Ah well, not sure I would have resubbed to it anyway, not like it stopped being a direct WoW clone.
    I had a little hope for it too, being a bit closer to FFXI "raid" content.  Ah well, not sure I would have resubbed to it anyway, not like it stopped being a direct WoW clone.
    The whole thing really revolves around how FFXI's open world NMs used to work where you would spawn them by killing placeholders etc to get whatever you needed to upgrade the relic armor/weapon (which you have to do per armor/weapon for each class). In FFXI in worked because you had some of that gear for years, where as in FFXIV you're replacing gear almost every 6 months not to mention this is only part 1 of Eureka, so god knows about what you'll have to do for further progression only to get an higher effort glamour piece at the end of the expansion.
  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Gotta love all "I don't like learning mechanics, where's my participation trophy" people here.
    pantaro
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited March 2018
    LionShard said:
    Gotta love all "I don't like learning mechanics, where's my participation trophy" people here.
    Who are you talking about, exactly? I see nothing even so much as implying that.

Your post is just one of those typical "oh, people are expressing dissatisfaction with a game I like. I better defend it by creating a strawman of them to attack personally..."

What I see are people expressing their dissatisfaction with the system.. which should surprise no-one at this point. Yoshida demonstrably sucks at creating engaging, fun end-game content that falls outside of his go-to boss/raid fight mechanics. It's unarguable at this point. He's tried at least 5 times, and he's fallen way short every. single. time.

If it falls outside his comfort zone of singular, highly scripted boss fights inside isolated round or square platforms - very rarely something more interesting, like Bahamut's hand- he falls apart.

Yoshida did a great job of recovering and fixing the broken game he inherited, because all the content, story and everything was already finished and ready for him. The problems he fixed were identified by the players long before he even showed up on the project. Once he moved beyond that and began making FFXIV in *his* own vision - starting with Heavensward (Realm Reborn wrapped up what was established under Tanaka with 1.0)  - it began going rapidly downhill.

FFXIV has been profitable, yes. But its success has nothing to do with its "MMO" elements. Yoshida's great at drumming up nostalgia, shoe-horning fan service, and loading up the mog station. He sucks at developing an engaging MMO experience.