Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Begathon forever

LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
Yep, they will keep milking the game as long as the whales stick around.

As M. Berek said : We'll be continue these livestreams, and the Launch one will absolutely be amazing and fun (as they always are!! ).

From this point forward though we will be calling them just "Release Postmortems", "R52 Postmortem", or "Postmortem Livestreams", etc... no more using the word "Telethon". 

Of course, the post got locked by M Berek.
Closing thread, as we've answered the question, which is that we will be continuing these "Postmortems". 

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/launch-telethon.112191/page-2

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       Im trying to understand the problem with this , there are perfectly within there rights to sell there product for as long as they want for however much they want ..

This is what most business do that have set out to make money ..

It is also perfectly within your right to not purchase ..

But to post and be bothered by a company advertising and selling there product .. is just wrong...

This is America last i checked ..
    CrazKanukSovrathblorpykinsMikehaScotmgilbrtsncheyaneVladamirBegemot
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Why change the name if it is in practice exactly the same? 

Kickstarter money was all that was needed and now they will continue to beg for money after release?

Isnt it time the game stand on it's own merits?
    Ice-Queen
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    All I've been hearing around the net has been how epically crap this game is. /shrug
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Aragon100 said:

Kickstarter money was all that was needed and now they will continue to beg for money after release?

One word. Optics. You can see the precedent that this created and, now, they aren't able to change the name of something? In reality, Postmortem is quite common in any industry. The reaction from people simply shows, once again, that transparency cannot be achieved with the level of intelligence and maturity on the Internet. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited March 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aragon100 said:

One word. Optics. You can see the precedent that this created and, now, they aren't able to change the name of something? In reality, Postmortem is quite common in any industry. The reaction from people simply shows, once again, that transparency cannot be achieved with the level of intelligence and maturity on the Internet. 
    You forgot to answer the questions.

Here they are -

1. Why change the name if it is in practice exactly the same? 

2. Kickstarter money was all that was needed and now they will continue to beg for money after release?

3. Isnt it time the game stand on it's own merits?

Ice-QueenEarthgirl
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aragon100 said:

In all fairness most retrospectives, even in the indie game community don't involve fundraising activities.

Clearly this is one area this team is being innovative,  not sure even Roberts Industries considered this idea.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Doesn't matter if America likes telethons or not, the game should stand on its own as a buy to play game like it's been advertised.  Why they require a monthly fundraising event to sustain development and payroll is going to be a deal breaker for anyone not already invested up to their eyeballs.
    Ice-QueenEarthgirl
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Scorchien said:

You forgot that in America, we will whine about anything!
    ScorchienBillMurphyVladamirBegemot
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Just most signs this is a bad game and how dead it is.  I also watched recent videos on SOTA.  None of the people responding to these videos are saying positive things about it.   We also have some people here coming to this forum calling people out who do not drink the kool aid of this game.

If SOTA was to be good it really needed to be get away from the mind set of being an online and offline game.  It needed to be an Open World game.  It also needed to have a Subscription with the game because weather people like it or not the B2P model supporting everything does not work outside of very large MMORPGs which has a lot of money to throw at figuring out what people will buy in a cash shop.  Thats without turning the game into a P2W game.  You can cry its not P2W, yet you have in game cities being paid for with real money and crap like this.

"Crowns of the Obsidians (COTOs) are rare items that can drop from almost any activity, with higher occurrences on higher level creatures and resource nodes. They come in several different metal types. Gold Crowns can be used to pay for various things including paying taxes (versus in-game gold), buying rare Obsidian Potions that boost things like carry capacity or gathering speed, and they can even be used to repair maximum durability on items. "

None of this shit I am willing to deal with so I do not play the game.  I am 100% OK with a $12 a month subscription.  I know people who refuse to spend any money on any game wouldnt.  But they do not matter when you want to have a healthy game.   Just look at Ashes of Creation and its popularity even though it will be a P2P game.   

O and I watched a recent video of the game last night.   On it shown a vendor that had stuff put on it in August and nothing ever sold.  This just points out how dead this game is.   The way the world is instanced does not help to remove the idea this is a dead game.   You know what is funny.  I seen a few hundred people on an official UO server in the last week, vs when I played SOTA for 50 hours 2 years ago I seen 1 person.   Yes 1 person in 50 hours.   
    Ice-QueenEarthgirl
    Well what really matters is how many people will you find in game starting March 27th and afterwards.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Kyleran said:
    Well what really matters is how many people will you find in game starting March 27th and afterwards.
    Honestly Its not going to change from what is in game today.   Simple put on March 27th there is no change from March 26th.    You just buy the game now and play it.   
    Ice-Queen
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Scorchien said:
       Im trying to understand the problem with this , there are perfectly within there rights to sell there product for as long as they want for however much they want ..

Simple answer: Because the Add On Store was only supposed to be there to fund the development of a completed Buy to Own game promised in Kickstarter. An Episodic game that was specifically NOT an MMO in it's own FAQ, that was supposed to be launched in October 2014.

Permanent fundraising belongs to the Fee 2 Pay model the game really has, and the Begathons are there to fund the Real Money Trading that is the basis of the economy no one except RMTs asked for or thought they'd backed.
    MadFrenchie
    danwest58 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Honestly Its not going to change from what is in game today.   Simple put on March 27th there is no change from March 26th.    You just buy the game now and play it.   
    Well I don't disagree, and Rel 52 doesn't add much to the current game,  but it seems quite a bit did in the last 2 or 3 releases, so that's why I'm interested in more up to date reviews.

Come the 27th I'm sure some will return to check it out again, I believe, will they stay is the question. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Aragon100 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aragon100 said:

You forgot to answer the questions.

Here they are -

1. Why change the name if it is in practice exactly the same? 

2. Kickstarter money was all that was needed and now they will continue to beg for money after release?

3. Isnt it time the game stand on it's own merits?

Sorry, 

1) I did answer this one. Optics was the answer. In other words, it's just wordsmithing trying to make things sound less..... amateurish. 

2) Kickstarter money is almost never all that is needed. Also, as funding increases, so does scope (in most cases), so the "all that was needed" idea is actually pretty worn out. I thought that at this point everyone pretty much accepted that it takes more than the funding amount to make a game, especially in the case of an MMO. 

3) Continuing to fund the game on an ongoing basis IS standing on it's own merits, is it not? If it fails to be successful then it was obviously unsuccessful, but if they can continue to sell shit, why wouldn't they? Standing on it's own merits simply means that it's able to support it's ongoing development. If this is a monetization strategy... well... it's something. 

Kyleran said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aragon100 said:

In all fairness most retrospectives, even in the indie game community don't involve fundraising activities.

Clearly this is one area this team is being innovative,  not sure even Roberts Industries considered this idea.

Exactly! I mean let's be honest, who the fuck wants to watch a retrospective? So we have to assume that if someone is watching this, they're a fan. So why would you not sell to a captive, loyal, audience? You basically have your most invested users watching. Should be interesting to see how it works long-term. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Personally, I think they have made a mockery out of something that should be used for charities, disaster or social help funds.

Why their current fans encouraged these telethons is even more bizarre.
    Ice-QueenblorpykinsDakeru
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Earthgirl said:
    Personally, I think they have made a mockery out of something that should be used for charities, disaster or social help funds.

Their dev studio is in Austin and when Houston was in crisis, they held a telethon and didn't even mention what was happening next door.
    Earthgirl
    edited March 2018
      They have raised a lot of money for charity also ...........
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    edited March 2018
    Earthgirl said:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/10/16/shroud-of-the-avatar-sells-toilets-and-wheelchairs-for-charity/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=80416

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/make-a-difference-children-and-family-charities.102851/

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/23/shroud-of-the-avatar-new-outfits-new-zones-and-charity-aid/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225#tab-breast_cancer_charity

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225#tab-autism_awareness_charity

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225#tab-children___family_charities

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225#tab-safe_water_and_sanitation_charity

Never let your Perceived Truth get in the way of the Facts ..

Just another example on this site of people more interested in Bandwagon Bashing a Game than actually learning anything about it first ...

And ill add SOTAs community wants these , they get to help there charity of choice and get some cosmetic stuff for house and clothing ... They feel good about it , why should it bother anyone ...??

Post edited by Scorchien on
    pantaroVladamirBegemot
    Charitible giving sounds good, until you read the fine print and realize its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

"Through that store we donate anywhere between 10-50% of the net proceeds from purchases of items made by our community."

Dakeru

edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Charitible giving sounds good, until you read the fine print and realize its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

"Through that store we donate anywhere between 10-50% of the net proceeds from purchases of items made by our community."

cmon man its not a gimmick , the community uses these to raise money to help fund there interest and help a charity ...

Next time the Girl Scouts come to my door selling those fucking cookies that fund there interest and raise money for charity im turning the fucking dog on them .. and those Boy Scouts selling that popcorn .. How fucking dare they ...

Get a grip people there are functions like this across all of society ..

Its the SOTA communtiy that wants it ... If they didnt it would die fast ...

Ill ask again why would anyone have a problem with this ... why fucking care .. Its not like they are mugging your grandma to pay for these cosmetic items that fund there interest and donate to charity ..
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

cmon man its not a gimmick , the community uses these to raise money to help fund there interest and help a charity ...

Next time the Girl Scouts come to my door selling those fucking cookies that fund there interest and raise money for charity im turning the fucking dog on them .. and those Boy Scouts selling that popcorn .. How fucking dare they ...

Ill ask again why would anyone have a problem with this ... why fucking care .. Its not like they are mugging your grandma to pay for these cosmetic items that fund there interest and donate to charity ..
    The difference is in how the money is shared. Note, Shroud states 10 to 50% percent of the "net proceed" and not the total sale.

As for Girl Scout cookies, its based on the full retail price, (they go on to say this is 100% of the net proceeds on the GS site.)

"On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price; the amount shared with participating Girl Scout troops, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price."

https://www.google.com/search?query=Percentage+of+net+proceeds+on+girl+scout+cookied&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&hl=en

Never confuse a "feel good" business marketing gimmick with an actual charity.
    SlyLoK

edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

The difference is in how the money is shared. Note, Shroud states 10 to 50% percent of the "net proceed" and not the total sale.

As for Girl Scout cookies, its based on the full retail price, (they go on to say this is 100% of the net proceeds on the GS site.)

"On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price; the amount shared with participating Girl Scout troops, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price."

https://www.google.com/search?query=Percentage+of+net+proceeds+on+girl+scout+cookied&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&hl=en

Never confuse a "feel good" business marketing gimmick with an actual charity.
    The % does not matter here .. Why do you care if this is what that community wants to support .. Why do you fucking care.. If they donate 10%  50% .. 80% .. who cares its there fucking money its there interest ..

How is it hurting you ..

Or anyone else ........... why does it bother you ... there should be no reason
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Scorchien said:

But to post and be bothered by a company advertising and selling there product .. is just wrong...

A lot of people complain about companies they don't like.  Some even put up websites named, Ihatexyzcompany.com, all they do is discuss why they hate the company.  They may hate the way they do business, or their ethical practices.  So, complaining about a company is nothing new.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Scorchien said:

A lot of people complain about companies they don't like.  Some even put up websites named, Ihatexyzcompany.com, all they do is discuss why they hate the company.  They may hate the way they do business, or their ethical practices.  So, complaining about a company is nothing new.
    its weird man
    Octagon7711
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Scorchien said:
    The % does not matter here .. Why do you care if this is what that community wants to support .. Why do you fucking care.. If they donate 10%  50% .. 80% .. who cares its there fucking money its there interest ..

How is it hurting you ..

Or anyone else ........... why does it bother you ... there should be no reason
    The % matters a lot.

But the real question is:
    How is this hurting YOU?

Why does it bother you what we think?
    Why does it bother you to a degree that you are talking like a Stop and Go sign?
    There should be no reason.
    Kyleran
    Harbinger of Fools