Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please try not to laugh...Second Life or IMVU?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I'm not working right now because of an injury.  I'm bored.  Please try not to laugh, here, but...I have been considering checking out Second Life or IMVU to kill some time.  For those of you with experience in either or both, which would you recommend and why?  Or, is there a different, similar option?

Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited March 2018
    Or even Gaia Online?  Or is that for teens?  =/
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    What is IMVU?
    Sovrath

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Why not play Elder scrolls online or any of these top 5 mmorpg games or you can look in to this Rift prime the 7 th
    bartoni33

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited March 2018
    IMVU is purely a chatroom. I'd imagine it will be mainly played by teens. It does have an adult only section, but the chat interaction will be the main source of content.

SecondLife is quite dated. It's a large open sandbox, which might be more interesting to explore. The interface will be be clunky relative to the newer titles.

I enjoyed There the most. It was the most casual and least adult of the experiences back in the day. It was shut down briefly and reopened 6 years ago. The game is 14 years old now. I haven't played it since the shut down.

VRChat is what everyone is playing these days. It's built for VR, but many are playing it without. Haven't tried it, but it will have a giant community compared to all of the above.
    anemo
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    SecondLife can be played as a really good market competition game if you're a programmer/artist/similar (even soft social skills can get you in some interesting spots).  I had tons of fun being a third party scripter, Where I would do technical work for already established shops that needed something custom scripted.

I got tons of glorious glorious hate mail from competitors.  The most hilarious one was from a chick who was massively overcharging along with DRMing related gear, her stuff broke in the most embarrassing way the next day (game update), causing her customers SIMs to crash repeatedly <3.  (I was very legit and from scratch for my work)

Did well enough that when I withdrew everything I was able to cover a semesters worth of college books.  Good for a hobby,  utterly terrible if I was doing it for pay.

Though a bit expensive to get started.  Your starting avatar could be anything from $20 to $200.  Though after you start hanging around and talking somewhere in newbie looks asking for recommendations can find you some good deals.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited July 2018
    Second Life without a doubt! Unless you're 12 and have a thing for bobblehead dolls, and no, I'm not being sarcastic. You need to compare pictures and do some investigating to see how much SL has changed. Avatars can look very realistic, but you will have to spend some money. 

I tried IMVU years ago, left, and never looked back. IMVU has cartoony avatars and many people playing seem to be either a teen or a preteen. If you fit in that demographic that's the only reason I would suggest IMVU; adults play SL. 

The only thing to remember, in both games you will be entering a social environment, finding friends is not as easy anymore, and people will come off as shallow. That's why my time in SL is limited, I much rather kill stuff in an MMO, than to find an online friend.

Now, I do know of another similar option; it's Sansar, from the same developers of Second Life (Linden Lab). However, I do not recommend it (yet). While it does have VR support, it doesn't have the creators that Second Life has, so avatars do not look as good as in SL. Sansar can be downloaded, but it's still in beta and will be for a least a few more years.

Like others have said on this site, the world is not ready for VR, yet.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Tatsuya9411Tatsuya9411 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Second Life, while having a quite rusty engine under the hood is still significantly more friendly to free users and has more options than IMVU.

On IMVU, unless you are willing to blow exorbitant amount of cash and/or dealing with copycats/working your ass off to create and finance your spendings, you wont  have much fun out of it. 

IMVU is the kind of 'service" which really loves to make you feel as a third class citizen if you arent paying into their VIP sub and loves to spam your "ingame" inbox with promo newsletters, and you cannot opt out of them or block them even,

The ONLY redeeming thing about their service is that they have a mobile client which also support 3D chat display, everything else is forgettable
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I was going to do my laughing policeman impression, but everyone is taking this so seriously. Ok then, Second Life, was not for me but a big open world of stuff to do. Maybe I should have checked it out more, but a new MMO pulled me back MMOland.
    anemo
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Did you ever get into Civ6? Just wondering. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ZygoriaZygoria Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    IMVU and Second life are in many many ways the very same except for IMVU is easier to control and Doesn't cost nearly as much rl money wich is a positive thing.on both IMVU and secondlife you can chat with others via typing stuff out to them but second life gives you the option for voice chat and lets be honest...who really wants to voice chat?? I don't even like people that much,let alone to have to hear them talk on a mic and be annoying.IMVU has a way bigger selection of clothes,realistic skins,Mesh heads that look super realistic,actions,poses,rooms,furniture..the list is endless,Secondlife has some realistic skins and heads to except not much inventory for clothes etc.In IMVU you cant have boobs that bounce all over the place when you walk but in secondlife you can...but if you get action in rl then you don't really need bouncing boobs or butts...lol.Both are virtual chat worlds,the main thing of both is to create and chat...even though people from second life will try and tell you it isnt a game,it in fact is and its just like imvu...you can rape in second life and people have been known to age play and do other disgusting acts,alot of children are on second life even more so the IMVU because IMVU staff actually does their jobs and doesn't let pedophilia and other things happen.Second life is also a ticking time bomb running on borrowed time and they might even close without telling any of their users because of all the lawsuits and nasty stuff people have been caught doing.On IMVU you can buy rooms and decorate them,you always get one free room but its basic,but the cost of buying a new room to put in its place would really be nothing compaired to the amount of money the average secondlife user spends...wich is in the 100's to the 1000's by the end of one year,because they make you pay for land ownership each month...it's really not a game for people in their early 20's to late 30's or 40's unless they are disabled,retired and don't have a life in rl and nothing to buy in rl.IMVU is just all around better,and safer for the user.Ive played both and second life might look great but its not as great as it seems with all the hackers,trolls,ageplay,rape etc.It's an outdated site that won't make it much longer.So go to IMVU.
  • ZygoriaZygoria Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Second Life, while having a quite rusty engine under the hood is still significantly more friendly to free users and has more options than IMVU.

On IMVU, unless you are willing to blow exorbitant amount of cash and/or dealing with copycats/working your ass off to create and finance your spendings, you wont  have much fun out of it. 

IMVU is the kind of 'service" which really loves to make you feel as a third class citizen if you arent paying into their VIP sub and loves to spam your "ingame" inbox with promo newsletters, and you cannot opt out of them or block them even,

The ONLY redeeming thing about their service is that they have a mobile client which also support 3D chat display, everything else is forgettable
    Actually....if someone can afford secondlife they sure as heck can afford IMVU,Secondlife is unrealistic on their prices...no one ever should have to pay that much to get a decent avatar...or rent land they dont even own in rl....each month.You must be part of the secondlife staff trying to draw in people to that money hungry pedophile filled game.YUCK
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I tried Second Life because people were recommending it, but ugh it is hard to get into....It's one of those sandboxes where you can do anything but end up doing nothing most of the time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited April 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light