Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Ultima 'Plays Like Ultima Online 2' within LoA - Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegends of Ultima 'Plays Like Ultima Online 2' within LoA - Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

Legends of Aria News - One of the unique features of Legends of Aria is the ability for server admins to create unique worlds for their players to adventure in. One of the interesting ones that came across our desk recently is one called Legends of Aria that aims to provide players with an Ultima Online 2 feel. "It's an incredible server and truly plays like UO2 with even more features than the official LoA server" according to our tipster.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    And the link to this movie you talk about?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's in the article. An HTML tag remained unclosed so it didn't display correctly. It does now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Riot55Riot55 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited February 2018
    Here's the link to the video if they don't update article:

This server is awesome btw. I'm the one that sent in the tip because I'm so impressed with the level of commitment the staff has and their CONSTANT updating and communication with the players. They've added so much and it's progressing all the time. There are so many more quality of life things on this server I've noticed than any other (including official), not to mention all the custom content they have added. I highly recommend giving this a shot, you get access even with the cheapest pledge to Legend of Aria (I think it's 30 bucks). And then visit my vendor at the Vesper Moongate for gear! :P
    Post edited by Riot55 on
    Trinity999
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The article was updated. You have to click Read the Full Story Here to get to the full post with the embedded YT video in it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Wait... doesn’t UO2 have to include cash shop items and real money housing with the occasional begathon to auction vials of blood?

IceAge

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Will look at this tonight. Seems like that other game I tested awhile back . . Shards Online maybe? Not sure. I will get more info first. Might be worth checking out. Nostalgia runs deep of course.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Grendizer73Grendizer73 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I was a player in UO but I can't play anymore a game with that kind of movement...
    Aethaeryn said:
    Will look at this tonight. Seems like that other game I tested awhile back . . Shards Online maybe? Not sure. I will get more info first. Might be worth checking out. Nostalgia runs deep of course.
    Shards Online has been renamed to Legends of Aria :)
    Aethaeryn

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Aethaeryn said:

Shards Online has been renamed to Legends of Aria :)

Ah okay :) that explains a lot. I thought it was decent but that was quite a while ago. It needed work. maybe they did some? :) I didn't like the cross transfer of Sci-fi ish items to the Fantasy worlds so much. Hmm. . felt similar :)

Thanks!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Yeah they have a full game world now on the original Aria server.  They also support player run modded servers and this Logends of Ultima is one of those.   I haven’t checked it out yet but probably should.

Aria is fun, but I not sure it’s a game that’s big enough to last for years... I think the future is in these player run shards.

edited February 2018

I was a player in UO but I can't play anymore a game with that kind of movement...

I use WASD in this game and it feels fluid. There is obviously point and click but I like keyboard movement better.
    killerqueer
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited February 2018
    Got to say I'm impressed not just with the game and what they are trying to achieve here but with the attitude the video narrator has towards microtransactions and mount purchases, “we don’t want your money, we just want to play with you”. And I have to say I'm far more inclined to part with my money when the devs have this attitude.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I played UO Pre-T2A and loved UO until 2003.  With that said, I would never go back to a game that has Open world PVP with Full looting.   LoA has this.  Yes they say they have Safe zones, BUT even in Safe Zones players can kill you.   There is a Video out there of players killing other players at a bank there are also reddit post about being killed at a blacksmith in a city and being killed.   

Their System is I attack you and instead of getting an instance guard whack like I did in UO, Guards port in and chase me which gave me the time to kill you and take your stuff.  

OyjordManWithNoTanValdheim
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    O and people can flame me for this but. No Trammel does nothing but make this game to be MO or the hundreds of other Free UO shards that have at most 1K players on them and most have less than 50 people play on it. This game will not last long trying to make the very small group of Pre T2A players out there. Just look at MO.
    OyjordManWithNoTan
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    danwest58 said:
    I played UO Pre-T2A and loved UO until 2003.  With that said, I would never go back to a game that has Open world PVP with Full looting.   LoA has this.  Yes they say they have Safe zones, BUT even in Safe Zones players can kill you.   There is a Video out there of players killing other players at a bank there are also reddit post about being killed at a blacksmith in a city and being killed.   

Their System is I attack you and instead of getting an instance guard whack like I did in UO, Guards port in and chase me which gave me the time to kill you and take your stuff.  

Are shard operators not allowed to create custom rule sets? So can't the shard operator just change it to NOT be full loot pvp? 
    ManWithNoTan

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

danwest58 said:

O and people can flame me for this but. No Trammel does nothing but make this game to be MO or the hundreds of other Free UO shards that have at most 1K players on them and most have less than 50 people play on it. This game will not last long trying to make the very small group of Pre T2A players out there. Just look at MO.

I understand this concern. So far this server seems to have a steadily increasing population with over 150 to 200 on at all times. Admins probably know more specifics and I'm sure there are a lot more guildmates off in places I don't even see frequently. I have not been PK'd once in my month of playtime, though a large amount of that has been spent mining and crafting. My GM warrior has been attacked once during a solo dungeon crawl, but the economy of the game (and I know as a crafter of gear) is set up so that losing armor kinda sucks in the moment but is cheap enough with player vendors to restock easily. Especially non-exceptional gear... It's dirt cheap for dungeon sets! The guard mechanics are still evolving too. I think you can generally avoid PVP if you try to, but the threat of danger keeps you on your toes and makes every situation more exciting. PVP helps the player run economy and makes guilds/housing/events more interesting. There are plenty of anti-PK players too to help fight!
    ManWithNoTanValdheim
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Looks amazing - I miss old UO - some of my best MMO memories. Will be checking this out for sure. Purchased the game before it was rebranded but it didn't have the UO feeling I was looking for. This MOD looks like what the game was missing for me.

The Town Drunk - Chesapeak Shard
  • Goratrix69Goratrix69 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Are there any guidelines for GM - player interactions, are the GMs held accountable in cases of unprofessional, unfair acts?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Are there any guidelines for GM - player interactions, are the GMs held accountable in cases of unprofessional, unfair acts?

If you have to ask, probably not the free shard you are looking for.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

There is a lot you don’t know about the developers of this community server, start asking them, and the answers you will or you will not get will tell you a lot.

CrazKanuk said:

danwest58 said:

Are shard operators not allowed to create custom rule sets? So can't the shard operator just change it to NOT be full loot pvp? 

Yes they can. This team decided to go with a pre trammel focus, you know, for fans of the game as it was then right?

Likely some other team will offer up their interpretation once the game gets a bit closer to release.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

;)

The answer is no. Players are treated unfairly and unprofessionally. Don’t make the mistake of investing your time and money into them, just to realize the fact that they will help their friends kill you in game.
    ManWithNoTanSlapshot1188

Kyleran said:

;)

The answer is no. Players are treated unfairly and unprofessionally. Don’t make the mistake of investing your time and money into them, just to realize the fact that they will help their friends kill you in game.
    Ah, so you were just baiting us for a reply to a question or dispute you already have gotten wrapped up in.

I always fall for that one...

;)
    ManWithNoTanSlapshot1188

There is a lot you don’t know about the developers of this community server, start asking them, and the answers you will or you will not get will tell you a lot.
    Perhaps a couple of examples might help , otherwise I might just ask them something inappropriate like their stance on US gun control or winning lottery numbers.

Seriously,  quit dancing around, what did they do to you?