Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about MMORPGs?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    Loke666 said:
    The difference between MMOs and other games is basically that people tend to make friends in MMOs which might happen a bit in other games but not on the same scale. When a game comes out lacking that potential (like Destiny for instance) MMO fans tend to be upset.

Who are these "people"? I don't make friends in MMOs. My kids don't make friends in MMOs. The people i pug with don't make friends in MMOs. 

That's not a very big sample of players is it? Besides for all you know the PUG groups are just saying they are not friends, after they hear you bang on in group and zone chat, questioning the point of the games community and telling players they should read more books and watch more TV. :)
    Shhhh, he and his family don't know about the "super-friends" chat in every MMO we all belong to in order to mock the loners.

B)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    MMOs have never been what I want them to be. Not out of any sense of "they should play like these other games/genres" but more-so it's a case of constantly anticipating how MMO's might evolve along lines no other game platform can.

It bothers me when then turn into a half-baked iteration of something else instead. Like a MMO that really wants to be narrative driven, but does so by creating a very linear single-player focused experience, or alternatively loses almost any context with grinding for the sake of grinding on loot tiers or sandbox games with no coordinated intent to the player's actions. 

Guess shorthand is I'm one of those people still wishing things like a robust AI dungeon master would finally be able to be developed to accommodate a collaboratively built and shared virtual world, giving an overarching and evolving narrative and life to an experience we can shape on a personal and social level.

But alas, neither our technology has reached that point nor do many studios really make many runs at such a thing. It's a costly endeavor still requiring a lot of experimentation and innovation before it has the chance at being a reality. This unfortunately puts it outside the interest of most AAA publishers/developers to sink money into, and beyond the reach of many smaller developers and individuals.

Hope we can get there eventually any ways, as it's the kind of game environment you really can't realize on any platform other than an MMO as the scale of user interactivity is a core feature and tool of that kinda experience.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Every activity has its "real Scotsman" debate.

In sports real "football" is the NFL (or NCAA), in Australia its rugby, and everywhere else in the world its soccer.

Photography, it was the same,  real photographers shot in medium format, 35mm was for hobbyists. 

Pick-up trucks, "everyone knows" they have to be Fords....or was that Dodges...or Chevys?

Basically whatever I like is the "real thing" and whatever you like isn't,  unless of course you like what I do.

Signed, 

A "real" MMORPG gamer, most of the rest of you are just tourists.

B)
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Scot said:
    What is it about MMOs?
    It is not MMOs, it's you...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:
    What is it about MMOs?
    It is not MMOs, it's you...

Well I got a post out of him rather than one of his ubiquitous LOL's, I am counting that as a win. :)
    Kyleran