Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What uncommon setting(s) do you think would work well for an MMO?

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    voodoo steampunk

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Are we saying that the problem is settings?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    How about Krull? Has a lot of the fantasy/sci fi tropes.  Im sure there may have been books but I only saw the movie.  Or how about Logan's Run?  I realize these are movie IPs but maybe they could work.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    There is one that I found a few months ago called Nightmarchers.  Right now it is a single person shooter that Wyrmbyte is working on.

From what I have seen released of it, I would love to see it over time be expanded and made into a MMO with all that Hawaiian island in it.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Hrimnir said:

I always thought Midkemia from The Riftwar Cycle would be awesome.  They actually did make 2 games way back when (this should show my age) called Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor, the first of which was widely considered one of the best games ever made, but alas, nothing more.

For anyone who has read the series, there is SO MUCH lore there that could be made into an MMO it's mind boggling.  So many different enemies, so many different physical locations, races, etc etc.

Ugh, its driving me nuts just thinking of the possibilities for awesomeness.

Iron Realms tapped that IP to make a MUD.  It was not profitable enough for them to renew the rights.

But you did miss a good couple year run.  Even if being an Iron Realms game it had a cash shop that would make EA super jealous. 
    andy8169

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Loke666 said:
    any setting could do well.. hard part is making it happen.
    Well, almost at least. There are a few that are so politically loaded that we probably do well staying far from them. Things like the holocaust is not something I think anyone sould pull off.

But besides that you are right, with the right mechanics and fun gameplay you could probably turn almost any setting into a success. In many cases is that far harder then others though and a crappy made setting needs an awesome system to be fun.
    yeah probably not unless they did some kind of "The Man in the High Castle" kind of spin with an alternate history kind of deal.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    waynejr2 said:
    Are we saying that the problem is settings?
    Not as such but you do have to agree that there is a rather limited selection to pick from at the moment. If you think high fantasy is silly you basically have Eve and TSW to play if you want a MMO, besides a few pirate and super hero MMOs of usually doubtful quality.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    A fantasy stone age MMORPG.
    -Limited gear (stone, wood, leather, shells) means you can redirect assets to other stuff.
    -use real historical religious and cultural ideas and expand with fantasy.
    -magical stones
    -magical flora products (woods, thorns, fibers, etc.)
    -rare metals at highest skill levels, very hard to get
    -extensive alchemy
    -extensive ritual magic (think Stonehenge here)
    -henges, ancient altars, magical groves, etc., with magical meaning
    -star system for modifiers to rituals, alchemy, magic, and henges/altars/groves
    -extensive buffs based on all of the above and more
    -extensive construction (small stones, wooden, rope and fibrous plant)
    -extensive plant use (farming, seeding defensive barriers with man-eating plants or Black Lotus's, etc.)
    -lots of variations in plant/animal products, rare "golden fleece" type stuff.
    -Runes
    -Animal Spirits stuff
    -Elemental stuff
    -Trolls, Bugbears, Orcs, Elementals, Spirits, intelligent Giant Serpents, Nagas, Sphinxes, Rakshasas and other animal headed magical humanoids, etc.
    -Deities based on constellations and earth spirits, wide scope.

Along with even more ancient lost civilizations that were more advanced in all the above. The opposite of technologically advanced.

Once upon a time....

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I always thought the Deathgate cycle would have made a great mmo
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Hrimnir said:

I always thought Midkemia from The Riftwar Cycle would be awesome.  They actually did make 2 games way back when (this should show my age) called Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor, the first of which was widely considered one of the best games ever made, but alas, nothing more.

For anyone who has read the series, there is SO MUCH lore there that could be made into an MMO it's mind boggling.  So many different enemies, so many different physical locations, races, etc etc.

Ugh, its driving me nuts just thinking of the possibilities for awesomeness.

I love the Midkemia series, Magician is probably my favourite book of all time. 

So yeh, I agree and I'd love to see it turned into an MMO. You have Midkemia itself which isn't an uncommon setting, it's just a standard fantasy world with orcs, goblins, elves, dwarves and the like. Still fun, but nothing unique. 

But then you open up Kelewan through a rift and you've got your Asian style cultures, mixed in with centaurs and man-sized Ants and everything having crazy colours. 

Then you could open up the hall of worlds which basically gives you unlimited freedom to create whatever the hell you want. Then open up the various dimensions/levels and you get yet more choice. 

Problem is, pulling that all together into a cohesive game is tough. You'll either end up with a standard fantasy game with one or two interesting locations, or a gigantic mess. Chances of getting it right (and lore appropriate) are slim in my opinion. 
    Hrimnir
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    prizm1234 said:
    voodoo steampunk

Voodoo Steampunk Middle Earth.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    ya know what would be a rally awesome setting.

Nightbreed

Now I am not sure if the Movie, Comic, or Book, would be better.. but over all, it would be a great setting, for an MMO.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

Nightbreed

Now I am not sure if the Movie, Comic, or Book, would be better.. but over all, it would be a great setting, for an MMO.
    that was a great movie and i'd love to see that or something based on hellraiser(though that franchise has been butchered and probably need to be put to rest by now.)

just give SWL a shot that's probably the closest you'll ever get and it's not really that bad.
    Ungood

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:

Nightbreed

that was a great movie and i'd love to see that or something based on hellraiser(though that franchise has been butchered and probably need to be put to rest by now.)

just give SWL a shot that's probably the closest you'll ever get and it's not really that bad.
    I had thought of Hellraiser, as well, but that would be very hard to pull off well.

What is SWL?
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gruug said:
    4507 said:
    What sorts of settings do you thing would be good for an MMORPG that haven't really been tried yet?

Personally, I think an MMO set during the fall of Rome would be amazing: tons of possible factions/races (Goths, Vandals, Franks, Huns, Persians, etc), lots of geographic variation (snowy Alps, thickly forested Dalmatia, windswept plains of Armenia, barren Sahara desert, barren ancient ruins of Egypt, bustling markets of Rome and Constantinople, etc), and an instantly recognizable world and "lore" (if it can be called that)  without having to pay for a fictional IP.
    There was a Roman themed MMO that was being developed several years ago. Unfortunately, it went belly up before it ever made it to market. I wish I could recall the name but I can't. Someone else perhaps remembers.

Gods and Heroes
    Yeah. It actually released and I played it. It wasn't even too bad, just completely unfinished. It had a few original ideas even. Then it just got abandoned by the developers and I stopped logging in after a while. I believe the client as is stayed online for quite some time.

And OT, a Maya/Aztec setting. Violent, colorful locations and TONS of lore, you could have some awesome enemies too.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Nightbreed

I had thought of Hellraiser, as well, but that would be very hard to pull off well.

What is SWL?
    Secret World Legends

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    prizm1234 said:
    voodoo steampunk

Voodoo Steampunk Middle Earth.
    But that already exists !!!

Voodoo (trolls) Steampunk (goblins and gnomes) Middle Earth (volcanoes, evil overlords, shires, etc...), and the name is...

World of Warcraft ;-)
    Nice try, but that wasn't quite what I had in mind. :)