Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Review 2018

AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163
I recently started playing this game after a drought of finding any decent games. Note that this game is by no means great but it will occupy your time for a little while.

The Good :

> Lush graphics - The different zones are simply beautiful to look at. And the graphics for the characters are also excellent.

> Combat System - A rather unique experience using blocks and dodge mechanics to avoid or mitigate damage instead of the usual methods you find in most games.

> Cut-scenes - Almost every major quest line has a cut-scene which spices things up a bit. For those who may have bought the game itself, this little probably adds a little value to the purchase so that you can at least feel as though the developers spent some time and effort of the game.

> Leveling - Really fast. You could just do dungeons and reach max level in a weekend of casual gaming.

> Loot - Easy to get. Standard missions (Called Vanguard requests), quests and dungeons offer virtually the same loot for your level. Once you realise this, you tend to just ignore dungeon drops since you can get them through other means anyway. And once you hit max level your gear stats just jump exponentially and these are simply given to you. 

The Bad :

> Storyline / Quests - Very run-of-the-mill, i.e. run here, run there, drop this off, pick that up, speak to this / that person. Nothing which really grabs you by the neck and go "OMG ! I have to help these people !". You do these just for the xp and maybe some of the rewards.

> Animation - A very odd part of the combat system which requires your character to go through certain animations to execute a skill, e.g. think of Dr. Strange going through those hand and finger gestures to open up a portal. This may look and sound cool until you realise that these animations lock your character in place (some animations can be cancelled but not all). Imagine your character about to unleash a nuke on a mob and the mob simply steps out of the way and there's nothing you can do to realign the shot, resulting in a wasted shot and a cool down before you can go through it all again.

> Crafting - Virtually worthless. Gathering resources is only good for getting a nice free Halo costume and getting more inventory slots.

> Trains - The developers must have been veterans of Everquest during the old days when mob trains were the norm because it will be virtually impossible for you to go anywhere without pulling a long train. Dungeon zones are especially annoying when you soon realise that you can't really clear your way to the target since the mobs respawn too fast for you to make any headway towards the target. This results in you giving up and simply training your way to the target (Apologies to those I've killed getting to those dungeon teleporters :P)

> Pathing - Ugh ! Be prepared to get stuck riding your mount up steps in almost every location where there are stairs.

> Class Balancing - Not very effective. If you play this game you will see vast differences in class abilities resulting in lots of FOTM. At the time of this post, the Valkyrie and Brawler seem to be the current flavour.

> Game Population - Not very many people seem to be playing this game anymore. Group dungeon wait times for the early (not end game) dungeons can go up to 15 minutes or more. And you can always see people in global chat LFG for end game dungeons too. Additionally as you ride through some zones, you will notice that there is absolutely no one in that zone except you.

This game also has an interesting feature in that all female characters seem to be required to have the least amount of clothes on as possible :D . There's nothing that gives you a giggle more than watching a metal armor class walk into fights in what is essentially a bikini; think sexist poor cousin of GW2. Note also that only certain races can play certain classes. No real reason can be easily identified for this. You get the sneaky suspicion that someone in Management just woke up one morning and went "Ok I didn't have my coffee this morning so only Elins can be Ninjas."

This game is by no means dead or unworthy of game play. Play it just for the heck of trying something new like their combat system. It's just not likely to be a game that retains your attention for a long period of time. It's like that guy / girl you like to go out and have fun with but you sure as hell aren't going to marry.
cjmarsh