Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there ever be a game like Will Wright's SPORE (not EA's version)?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Will any developer try to make SPORE, but Will Wright's Version? The one that was going to be a lot more realistic, scientific and a much bigger game before EA came in like a wrecking ball?

SPORE was released a long time ago, was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history and no one has tried making a game like it since.

It be cool to have a game of evolution, but each "era" is far more realistic and in-depth and a lot more eras added to it. Then space could be super involved and highly in-depth. And you would have a lot more realistic creatures you could make, like Will Wright planned on having, where you could make a creature that was just a failed evolutionary experiment and fail lol. Realistic breeding, combat and all that. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    The original spore design crammed like four games into one.  That kind of game-plex is a gaer's dream, but for developers it's a terrible return on their investment.  Though, game companies in general seem to fail at getting a better return on their investment by reusing engines and other assets to make sequels.  To make a 'real spore' work, you'd have to make one game and have it be popular and profitable on its own (which the celular age of spore isn't), then you could release the rest as expansions.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Maurgrim said:
    Yeah, I remember that game so many years ago. It was one of the reasons I made the thread, cause Thrive popped up on another forum I go to after I forgot about it for years. However, despite many years later...they've barely finished their bacteria stage lol. At the rate they've progressed, I'll be dead by then and so would any grandchildren lol.

Its pretty much what I had in mind though.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    There is a game (mod) sorta similar I guess. Very very different genre. But you start in the caveman era (but next they are gonna work on Nomadic time period where you are actually nomadic) and go all the way to the space era (and beyond). Some of the newer maps you can actually colonize space.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-caveman-2-cosmos.449/

Its a civ 4 mod, caveman 2 cosmos.

It isn't like spore at all, but it does touch on most of the eras of humanity (even more so once nomadic era is put in)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    Op you say the game was bad...terrible,i am not arguing that but funny how it made headlines from being one the biggest hacked,stolen games of it's time.Funny how so many wanted to play a bad game?

I think you sort of already touched on the problem of seeing such a game,cost,more likely to find a gimmick and just quickly get something out to the market.

Notice how a forum user posted a CIV MOD,yeah go figure,that is because gamer's have more passion to do more for a game than the devs who just want cash flow.

Will there be another similar game,i would say most certainly,it is a good idea on paper,how good it would actually be implemented is something we can only wish for.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.