Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do they plan to make money?

2»

Comments

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 37
    YashaX said:
    Here is the link to where he says hundreds of thousands they expect on each server across the globe:

https://clips.twitch.tv/EndearingPricklyZebraWoofer

those defending the game and those hoping it will fail.
    As far as I know, no one here is "hoping the game will fail". Also there is no game, the project is not even in Alpha.
    sorry, my bad and it was not intentionally :) What I meant was those who think it will fail. Thanks for pointing that out. As mentioned in another thread constructive feedback illuminating aspects of the production which for an outsider seems obvious could potentially help insiders (developers and followers) adjust if the feedback is takein into consideration :)
    YashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 29,305
    edited February 8
    YashaX said:
    Here is the link to where he says hundreds of thousands they expect on each server across the globe:

As far as I know, no one here is "hoping the game will fail". Also there is no game, the project is not even in Alpha.
    That's a good point, even we Harbingers are not rooting against the game's success. 

I for one would love to join in and help build a kingdom, I am a terrific support leader and have no problem with others taking the lead as they have.

But I will continue to call out deficiencies (as I see them) in either planning, design or funding, it's just what you do as a project man....err, harbinger. 

I might add that to my business cards, Certified PMP - Harbinger of Failure 

B)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    YashaXcjmarsh

Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member RarePosts: 2,368
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

That's a good point, even we Harbingers are not rooting against the game's success. 

I for one would love to join in and help build a kingdom, I am a terrific support leader and have no problem with others taking the lead as they have.

But I will continue to call out deficiencies (as I see them) in either planning, design or funding, it's just what you do as a project man....err, harbinger. 

I might add that to my business cards, Certified PMP - Harbinger of Failure 

B)
    The term I always used for that was Corporate Scapegoat.  Wish I'd have thought of Harbinger.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,890
    Harbinger could go down as Caspien’s greatest contribution to gaming.
    Kyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,075
    We already know there will be cash shop after launch, we just don't know what all will be in it. The only two things that have been confirmed to date are going to be Soul Packs and Sparks of Life. Myself I have always assumed that there will be other things added to the shop at a later date, but because of the structure of the game they have to be conscious of the things sold and how it is going to affect the players. 

For example, if they were to sell cosmetic items like clothes pets or tattoos,  they are taking away from the player's jobs. (IE. Tailors, Breeders, Tamers and Tattoo Artists).  So you see it kind of limits them to the things they can sell in their store. Perhaps personalized merchandise could be an option. Such as shirts, mugs or figurines with dynasty logos as well as CoE's? I don't know just a thought. heh

They will have things like Tattoo artists in the game? I know games like second life offer User Generated Content, and most of the game is made up of that, so, while possible, is it really likely that it will be Barbers, Tattooist, Dye Makers, and the like will all be players.

If so, yes that would limit things.

But if that is the case, then he could charge for UGC submissions, IE: You pay to submit your own custom tattoo work to the game that other players can only get from your tattoo parlor, which would drive in-game commerce, but also have a way for him to sell stuff, and yet not impact the plan for limited resources.
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 29,305
    edited February 8
    I'd say go for "air drops" like in H1Z1, open world chat access (ten tells for a buck, monthly sub for say $5 a month) and perhaps instant teleporting scrolls like the b-tels I loved in Lineage 1 so much.  I'd pay $5 for a 10 pack.

Just trying to help.....

;)

Post edited by Kyleran on

Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 351
    edited February 8
    Ungood said:
    We already know there will be cash shop after launch, we just don't know what all will be in it. The only two things that have been confirmed to date are going to be Soul Packs and Sparks of Life. Myself I have always assumed that there will be other things added to the shop at a later date, but because of the structure of the game they have to be conscious of the things sold and how it is going to affect the players. 

For example, if they were to sell cosmetic items like clothes pets or tattoos,  they are taking away from the player's jobs. (IE. Tailors, Breeders, Tamers and Tattoo Artists).  So you see it kind of limits them to the things they can sell in their store. Perhaps personalized merchandise could be an option. Such as shirts, mugs or figurines with dynasty logos as well as CoE's? I don't know just a thought. heh

They will have things like Tattoo artists in the game? I know games like second life offer User Generated Content, and most of the game is made up of that, so, while possible, is it really likely that it will be Barbers, Tattooist, Dye Makers, and the like will all be players.

But if that is the case, then he could charge for UGC submissions, IE: You pay to submit your own custom tattoo work to the game that other players can only get from your tattoo parlor, which would drive in-game commerce, but also have a way for him to sell stuff, and yet not impact the plan for limited resources.
    Submitting your custom tattoo ideas are already part of the Courtier/Artisan packages (which are no longer available) as a Design experience and it is my understanding that they won't be selling any more of them because of the cost to the studio when working with one of the developers. However, that information might have been regarding the other design experiences. If so, and they could do it, it is a good idea. 
    Post edited by mystichaze on
  • UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,075
    Ungood said:

Submitting your custom tattoo ideas are already part of the Courtier/Artisan packages (which are no longer available) as a Design experience and it is my understanding that they won't be selling any more of them because of the cost to the studio when working with one of the developers. However, that information might have been regarding the other design experiences. If so, and they could do it, it is a good idea. 
    Well that's cool.

There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?