Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Female Player Reportedly On Tap to Join Overwatch League - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Comments

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    it's the year 20 freaking 18 and people STILL act like women/girls/female children playing video games is SUCH a big deal! just one of the many reasons while i play games when i have nothing better to do but refuse to label myself as a gamer ever. we need to do better as a society.....
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    It is only speculation,is she legit,who really knows?

I don't know the OW community at all,nor do i know who is good because i don't consider it a good enough pvp game to get into it.

So i will draw my conclusions from another Blizz game..Hearthstone.It really isn't that much of a SKILL game but it has some ,enough to determine good player from bad.

Well there are a few female players invited into the pro ranks and imo they were not at all worthy but female players attract more attention which is good for that team and it's sponsors.Why i mention this is because it seems guys are very quick to discredit other male players but when it's a female player they tend to get a free pass to the point i feel they are afraid to degrade a female player for the backlash.
    Personally i like to call it as i see it,if a player looks blatantly out of rank,i say it,i don't care what gender they are.
    My bigger issue is that OW is extremely SPAMMY,back in the day we consider spam combat to NOT be skilled at all and why larger maps like DECK 16 became so popular.Also the graphics/animations/effects really blur the screen terribly,so much so i find it near impossible to tell accurately if a player is cheating in OW.
    From what i watched in the videos,she looks legit but in saying that,ONLY a lan can tell the true story because i know slow aim,naturally looking aimbot scripts exist.Even still the weapon she uses takes VERY little skill an d has a large span to aim with and is pretty much just SPAM firing even when in a laser direct mode.

Bottom line,the game is not designed good enough to take pvp serious enough to worry about her or the league.It seems Blizzard and it's players LOVE their SPAM combat,Diablo series is all about spam as well and of course HOTS is constant spam as well.I guess they don't like tactics or cunning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    May be an IP ban will work.
    bartoni33

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    pantarowingood

kitarad said:

May be an IP ban will work.

Nope.
    vpn

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I have better things to do with my time but since you said you were keeping this up all day... bye.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The designers of the maps must be very amateur because the lighting is awful,it is actually TOO bright,to the point it creates a fog like effect and tough on the eyes.I could make a couple rooms to show what bad ,too bright lighting does to a screen/map but i am too lazy,people who understand it will know.

Designing what seems every class to be full on spam firing is really bad for anything skillful and plays directly into cheat and cheat accusations.One would have to literally slow down the vids to see if there is any possibility of cheating but even if there isn't,the spam also plays into small increment benefits to those with better systems/dps/framerates etc etc.

I would much rather prefer 1-1 than team games,that is what purest pvpr's grew up on.Yes there is some intrigue to world matches that are like say Germany versus USA or similar but still for pure out skill,1 on 1 is best.Point being that everything i watched from her is in team settings,so much spam flying around the skill,it is near impossible to tel if she is any good or not.
    Blizzard can push,market the hell out of this league ,like i expect them too because i said this LONG b4 the league existed,Blizz relies on Esport more so than the quality of games.The quality of OW design is not there not in weapons,not in map design,not in lighting,it all looks amateurish in design.
    DragnelusIDontThinkSoNo

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Wizardry said:
    The designers of the maps must be very amateur because the lighting is awful,it is actually TOO bright,to the point it creates a fog like effect and tough on the eyes.I could make a couple rooms to show what bad ,too bright lighting does to a screen/map but i am too lazy,people who understand it will know.

Designing what seems every class to be full on spam firing is really bad for anything skillful and plays directly into cheat and cheat accusations.One would have to literally slow down the vids to see if there is any possibility of cheating but even if there isn't,the spam also plays into small increment benefits to those with better systems/dps/framerates etc etc.

I would much rather prefer 1-1 than team games,that is what purest pvpr's grew up on.Yes there is some intrigue to world matches that are like say Germany versus USA or similar but still for pure out skill,1 on 1 is best.Point being that everything i watched from her is in team settings,so much spam flying around the skill,it is near impossible to tel if she is any good or not.
    Blizzard can push,market the hell out of this league ,like i expect them too because i said this LONG b4 the league existed,Blizz relies on Esport more so than the quality of games.The quality of OW design is not there not in weapons,not in map design,not in lighting,it all looks amateurish in design.
    Millions of players would disagree. And for my part, even though I didn't enjoy Overwatch (which I attribute to the worst matchmaking I've experienced since I joined eharmony), I still acknowledge the game as being polished to a mirror shine. 

That said, I can't see the appeal as a spectator sport. There is far too much going on visually for a casual audience to understand it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I don't get it. After reading this thread I can only shake my head at some of the levels of ignorance. Why do  we have to say things like how she identifies herself? What does that have to do with what she's done? This girl is good enough to play with the best of them. She should be recognized as such. In a perfect world, she'd just be another among her peers, where gender has nothing to do with it,  and she'd only be recognized according to the skills she possesses. But this isn't a perfect world and so she's had to overcome even more than many of her peers did to get where she is. So now she's an inspiration for those who will support her and use her as an example of what can be done.

AeanderSovrathpantaroAllerleirauhAvarixSBFordwingood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Guys I think cooling down a bit is in order, her joining is not going to break the world in two or anything. :D
    pantaroAeanderwingood
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Sad that this is actually a thing at all. I'd hoped the gaming industry didn't give a rats ass about the gender of the gamers involved
    AeanderAllerleirauhwingood
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited February 2018
    Eldrach said:
    Sad that this is actually a thing at all. I'd hoped the gaming industry didn't give a rats ass about the gender of the gamers involved
    Yeah, I feel the same, so it's a "big deal" for me. Being a good gamer has absolutely nothing to do with gender.
    wingood
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    I don't get it. After reading this thread I can only shake my head at some of the levels of ignorance. Why do  we have to say things like how she identifies herself? What does that have to do with what she's done? This girl is good enough to play with the best of them. She should be recognized as such. In a perfect world, she'd just be another among her peers, where gender has nothing to do with it,  and she'd only be recognized according to the skills she possesses. But this isn't a perfect world and so she's had to overcome even more than many of her peers did to get where she is. So now she's an inspiration for those who will support her and use her as an example of what can be done.

totally agree! reminds me when people who obsess over their favorite celebrity wanna go on about their sex life like seriously that's not my business nor do i care!

if i was actually into esports or overwatch i dont give a damn if she plays and has purple skin i just would want to see her or any of the players kick some ass and take names and be entertained by it!
    GeezerGamerSBFord
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited February 2018

When my daughters were born, I wished I could change the world they were going to grow up in. Now, I wish for them to have the power to do it themselves.
    SovrathAllerleirauhJunglecharlySBFordwingood
    pantaro said:

totally agree! reminds me when people who obsess over their favorite celebrity wanna go on about their sex life like seriously that's not my business nor do i care!

if i was actually into esports or overwatch i dont give a damn if she plays and has purple skin i just would want to see her or any of the players kick some ass and take names and be entertained by it!
    When my daughters were born, I wished I could change the world they were going to grow up in. Now, I wish for them to have the power to do it themselves.
    I wish they live life at the fullest.
    GeezerGamerwingood

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Blizzard gave me 100 coins to buy a pro outfit for a character. I can't find the black and white one.I want that because i am all about balance in life. You know it bro. Anyways, wtf Blizz give me a black and white outfit for Winston
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    is that her in picture? hard to tell...
    AllerleirauhSBFordGeezerGamerwingood
    Arskaaa said:
    is that her in picture? hard to tell...
    You don't need to tell! LOL.
    Junglecharly

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited February 2018
    bartoni33 said:
    The irony of one subset of basement dwelling poop-socking fat fucks that is collectively stereotyped as "Gamers" going after another subset based on looks is delicious.

Careful with those stones folks.
    WTF is a poop-sock?  If I go to the urban dictionary, will it have a definition of "poop-socking"?  Is this something you have experience in???  :)

OMG, why did I look that up???  I am now scared for life.  How would you even line that up?  I am guessing there is a mirror involved?
    AllerleirauhSBFordbartoni33Aeander
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• claytondoraclaytondora Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I was really hoping she was like the best Symmetra/Mercy player in the world. Would have been perfect.

Competitive OW is a joke.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Decided to check the comments for a lot of sexism from men and double standard replies from feminists and white knights - was not disappointed.

FYI attractiveness makes life easier no matter of gender.

Thank you for your time!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

That is so beautifully said. Thank you. It makes me feel hopeful for my own daughter. :)
    seraphis79GeezerGamerwingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    kitarad said:
    Being a woman coming from an Asian country this type of stuff makes me angry and impotent and I look to the West to do things differently and it annoys me that Overwatch a Blizzard game definitely western does this crap too but glad it got rectified.
    I can understand your frustration with this issue but I dont understand how it could make you "impotent". 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I don't really get people. There's one simple rule in life: don't be a dick. And yet, here we are.
    wingood
    Looking at the comments, can we not have a picture of the person next time. I mean, how necessary is it to have the person's picture? 
    It's too bad that people are not mature enough to handle it. I used to think this site didn't have a toxic forum, but it must be due to really good moderation.

This discussion has been closed.