Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI - discount coupons in BDO work only after you have a full amount available

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,193
So lets say you want to buy a costume that costs 3000 pearls - and you have a discount coupon for 20% discount coupon.

So the actual price with the coupon is 2400 pearls - so you are like YAY I have 2500 pearls I can buy this now!

You can't.

You have to have 3000 pearls (full price) before the coupon will be eligible to be used - so yes it will cost you 2400 pearls - but you have to have 3000 pearls on you.

So in other words - you are still going to be spending $30 to buy 3000 pearls even if you want to spend 2400 with the coupon.

They really need to make this point clear - as it's terribly misleading to players.
holdenhamletPhry

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    Can you keep the remaining pearls to use in a future purchase? If so, that's common practice for the discounts to make any sense if only you are a regular customer. 

There are tons of variations of said practice. For example Riot, makes you buy currency and not items directly. The currency you buy is either a little short, or a little above of the items on the shop. Even if you buy larger packages, there will be always a good amount of change left. So if you are a one time purchaser, you'll lose money. And that remaining change turns into an incentive to buy more currency later on.

Not saying this is good, I just haven't seen a game with a cash-shop that uses an in-game currency and not doing this one way or the other. 
    holdenhamlet
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,786
    edited January 2018
    Can you keep the remaining pearls to use in a future purchase? If so, that's common practice for the discounts to make any sense if only you are a regular customer. 

There are tons of variations of said practice. For example Riot, makes you buy currency and not items directly. The currency you buy is either a little short, or a little above of the items on the shop. Even if you buy larger packages, there will be always a good amount of change left. So if you are a one time purchaser, you'll lose money. And that remaining change turns into an incentive to buy more currency later on.

Not saying this is good, I just haven't seen a game with a cash-shop that uses an in-game currency and not doing this one way or the other. 
    Designing the currency packages and items with the aim that players will never be able to spend all currency is common practise.

Designing the store so that you're unable to buy an item unless you've got extra virtual currency in addition to the item's price isn't common, and it's also a practice that could get you in trouble with consumer protection officials.
    holdenhamlet

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    Vrika said:

Designing the currency packages and items with the aim that players will never be able to spend all currency is common practise.

Designing the store so that you're unable to buy an item unless you've got extra virtual currency in addition to the item's price isn't common, and it's also a practice that could get you in trouble with consumer protection officials.
    I agree. They are basically doing the same thing, but in a much more untasteful way. 
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 224
    edited February 2018
    They are real slimey charlatans aren't they, lol :).

Still cannot get my head around the lies and broken promises about the Founder Pack.
  • blacksirenblacksiren Member CommonPosts: 2

I have reckoned these discounted coupons are really making an amazing impact over all. Be it for anything, in todays world, these are really making its mark up. I have got some too, Carousel Check Coupons given from a colleague. I have them but i have no work from it.. any one wants it?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,021
    edited January 7
    Can mmo MTX ideas get any more stupid?

They were bad enough when you had (still have to) buy $20 dollar worth of MTX because the item you want is just over the $10 dollar pack.

This is a new level of scumbaggery.

This discussion has been closed.