Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Confirms 'Early 2019' Release, Claims It's Not a Delay, Also Posts Nearly $200M Loss in Q3 2017 -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageEA Confirms 'Early 2019' Release, Claims It's Not a Delay, Also Posts Nearly $200M Loss in Q3 2017 - Anthem - MMORPG.com

Anthem News - Earlier today, EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019. EA's Blake Jorgensen told the WSJ, "It's not a delay. People are trying to create a story." However, from the start, BioWare and EA said that Anthem would be released in fall 2018. If that's not a delay, we don't know what is.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«13

Comments

  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,223
    Sounds more like they want to wait until the heat's off them for the whole Star Wars Gamblefront casino before releasing this game.
    rojoArcueidThupliDhamon99CoolitYashaXAlomarPhaserlightSamhaelGdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,561
    Microsoft ......................
  • gamer2025gamer2025 Member UncommonPosts: 13

    Alverant said:

    Sounds more like they want to wait until the heat's off them for the whole Star Wars Gamblefront casino before releasing this game.



    I dont think it has anything to do with that I think the game just honestly needs time for them to fully flesh it out. Its clear they are trying to do something pretty big with Anthem so the more time they take the better
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 543
    Delay was a smart decision if they are planning on Battlefield #196.

    In other EA news they just announced they are bringing everyone's beloved Micro transactions back to BF2 in the next couple months! I cant wait to see what they plan to do, all I know is I will have my popcorn ready!
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,435
    gamer2025 said:

    Alverant said:

    Sounds more like they want to wait until the heat's off them for the whole Star Wars Gamblefront casino before releasing this game.



    I dont think it has anything to do with that I think the game just honestly needs time for them to fully flesh it out. Its clear they are trying to do something pretty big with Anthem so the more time they take the better
    You say that, until the game comes out with a cash shop with similar shenanigans first seen in SWBF2.

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,212
    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?
    donpadrexIselinThupliGrimDagnirCoolitGdemamiTacticalZombehAlomar

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • donpadrexdonpadrex Member UncommonPosts: 46

    Scot said:

    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?



    Yup. Or the Wall Street Journal is where Americas Gaming community and EA's diehard fanbase is.
    ThupliGrimDagnirScotStjerneoddPhloom
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Looks like EA was rushing Bioware and they were told that if it releases too soon it will be a disaster. In response to losing a lot of money, EA told Bioware take your time and get it right, we effed up once and lost a crapload, lets not do it again.
    ThupliGdemamiPhloom
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,025
    My guess is the delays are due to the devs furiously revising the monitization model and mechanics to support.
    SpottyGekkoThupliGobstopper3DWarlyxTacticalZombehStjerneoddPhloomGdemami

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,655
    i just wish they would turn 2142 back on...... the last good battlefield game
    Infeareal
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 420
    edited January 2018


    Looks like EA was rushing Bioware and they were told that if it releases too soon it will be a disaster. In response to losing a lot of money, EA told Bioware take your time and get it right, we effed up once and lost a crapload, lets not do it again.



    I don't think they are rushing them at all. When you   July,2018 comes around the game will have been in development for 6 years. Which really shows how much patience EA has for this project and why the pressure is on for it to be successful.
    https://www.gamepur.com/news/27149-anthem-genre-revealed.html
    Post edited by Bakgrind on
    ThupliTalonsinPhloomGdemami
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member UncommonPosts: 275

    DrunkWolf said:

    i just wish they would turn 2142 back on...... the last good battlefield game



    Titan Mode was the shit! I miss that game as well.
    Infeareal
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299

    Scot said:

    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?



    AAA game development has always been a corporate concern with the amount of money it can generate. The problem is that business executives don't always understand that the quality of the game and the loyalty of the fanbase (also known as customer retention in the business world) are usually what drives the bottom line in AAA development.
    GdemamiPhloom
  • MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 963
    EA does not want to release it in 2018 because of the reputation damage. - also i think that game was designed from scratch to be a lootbox lottery game.
    WarlyxTacticalZombehGdemami

    Proud MMORPG.com member since 2009! 




  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,212
    cjmarsh said:

    Scot said:

    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?



    AAA game development has always been a corporate concern with the amount of money it can generate. The problem is that business executives don't always understand that the quality of the game and the loyalty of the fanbase (also known as customer retention in the business world) are usually what drives the bottom line in AAA development.

    Rather depends on your definition of a corporation. Back in the day the likes of Turbine and Origin Systems were not corporations. I do not think all gaming publishers were strictly speaking. Over the last 20 years we have seen their growth into corporations or being bought out by corporations.
    LucienReneGdemami

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,025
    edited January 2018
    Scot said:
    cjmarsh said:

    Scot said:

    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?



    AAA game development has always been a corporate concern with the amount of money it can generate. The problem is that business executives don't always understand that the quality of the game and the loyalty of the fanbase (also known as customer retention in the business world) are usually what drives the bottom line in AAA development.

    Rather depends on your definition of a corporation. Back in the day the likes of Turbine and Origin Systems were not corporations. I do not think all gaming publishers were strictly speaking. Over the last 20 years we have seen their growth into corporations or being bought out by corporations.
    Well...Origin's full name was Origin Systems Incorporated because....they were a corporation.

    Here in the States most businesses incorporate as it can shield the owners personal assets from being seized in case of litigation. 

    I attempted to start my own business twice, and formed Corporations both times.

    But I understand what you are saying, Origin incorporated with Richard and 3 family members, not the same thing at all as Electronic Arts is today.

    Might surprise you to know EA was started by Trip Hawkins as a small corporation like Origin, but it grew an entirely different way as businessmen took it over.
    LucienReneScot

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 3,085
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    My guess is the delays are due to the devs furiously revising the monitization model and mechanics to support.
    just was going to post this , looks like Anthem was going to be a "Game of Boxes" , but after SW fiasco....they need to wait or rethink the monitization .
    Mensur said:
    EA does not want to release it in 2018 because of the reputation damage. - also i think that game was designed from scratch to be a lootbox lottery game.
    this
    TacticalZombehPhloomGdemami
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Not everything is a conspiracy, it just makes sense not to release too many big name games at the same time /shrug
    Gdemami
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,440

    Alverant said:

    Sounds more like they want to wait until the heat's off them for the whole Star Wars Gamblefront casino before releasing this game.



    More like, now Gamblefront Casino II blew up in their faces, they now have to manically re-develop Anthem and as such push the release of this game to 2019!

    It's pretty obvious Anthem was developed in exact same way as Battlefront II and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
    YashaXTacticalZombehPhloomGdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,282
    I wish I was a fly on the wall when they realised the limits they could push their lootboxes and had to revamp the Anthem systems. Must have been a fun day at work.
    TacticalZombehPhloom

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,212
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    cjmarsh said:

    Scot said:

    "EA told the Wall Street Journal that BioWare's Anthem will be coming out in early 2019"

    Does anyone need to read more than that to understand that AAA gaming is now first and foremost a corporate concern?



    AAA game development has always been a corporate concern with the amount of money it can generate. The problem is that business executives don't always understand that the quality of the game and the loyalty of the fanbase (also known as customer retention in the business world) are usually what drives the bottom line in AAA development.

    Rather depends on your definition of a corporation. Back in the day the likes of Turbine and Origin Systems were not corporations. I do not think all gaming publishers were strictly speaking. Over the last 20 years we have seen their growth into corporations or being bought out by corporations.
    Well...Origin's full name was Origin Systems Incorporated because....they were a corporation.

    Here in the States most businesses incorporate as it can shield the owners personal assets from being seized in case of litigation. 

    I attempted to start my own business twice, and formed Corporations both times.

    But I understand what you are saying, Origin incorporated with Richard and 3 family members, not the same thing at all as Electronic Arts is today.

    Might surprise you to know EA was started by Trip Hawkins as a small corporation like Origin, but it grew an entirely different way as businessmen took it over.

    Fair one, but Hawkins was no surprise, I mentioned him in a recent post. What I should have said is this is about the nature of what those business/corporations were and what they have become. Becoming a corporation at start up for legal reasons is not the same as what being one would later mean for those companies.
    Gdemami

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,781
    I want more information!

    Flat year on year growth, with $186m loss in Q3. Means they must have had a good first two quarters to balance out that massive loss. Is that loss due to SWBF2? Is it a more general, overall downturn in revenue due to loss in reputation? Did they get fined by Disney? Are their costs just going up as they ramp up Anthem development or new Battlefield development?


    I really want to feel smug about this news as I despise EA, but not enough information available. 
    PhloomGdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2018
    As far as Anthem goes it was "pencilled in for FY2018" when they released their Q1 results - quote:

    "First, we gave fans the most comprehensive look to date at our FY18 titles, including Star Wars Battlefront II, FIFA 18, Need for Speed Payback, Madden NFL 18, NBA LIVE 18, a new EA Originals title in A Way Out, and our stunning new IP, Anthem"

    They hadn't, however, included it in their slate of title launches for FY2018.

    And by the time their Q2 results were released - c. 3 months ago - it had moved to FY2019 - quote:

    "The core of our fiscal 2019 is a full slate of sports titles and their associated live services, plus
    new live services from Star Wars Battlefront II. We will add the next Battlefield game, and move
    into the action genre with Anthem."

    So very much a non-story.
    PhloomGdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2018


    I want more information!

    Flat year on year growth, with $186m loss in Q3. Means they must have had a good first two quarters to balance out that massive loss. Is that loss due to SWBF2? Is it a more general, overall downturn in revenue due to loss in reputation? Did they get fined by Disney? Are their costs just going up as they ramp up Anthem development or new Battlefield development?


    I really want to feel smug about this news as I despise EA, but not enough information available. 



    There is phasing going on which can be seen by looking at what they predicted e.g. in Q2 for Q3. (OK that is only 3 months but you can look back at Q1 and even the previous Q4).

    If you do you see that the Q3results are better than predicted e.g.
    Net revenue was higher than expected ($1,160M vs. $1,135M)
    Operating costs were lower than expected ($690M vs. $680M)

    The headline number is not - however - what they predicted but this - based on what they reported - is due to the impact of the "tax reform" stuff.

    And it seems to be a one off as it hasn't impacted their underlying predictions for the end of the year. They haven't changed the end of year guidance they gave in Q2 when they actually increased it slightly based on what they were saying in Q1, Q4 etc.


    So you are right to not feel smug! Despising them though? Basically EA produce sports games on console in particular (e.g. FIFA 42M players on console) along with BattleField and The Sims.

    And in "EA Originals" I think they are doing something that should be applauded: funding independent studios who will get all the profit. (OK you could say this is EA pulling out of making games!)

    To quote EA however:

    "During the fourth quarter, we will also launch the first two games from our EA Originals program,
    Fe and A Way Out. As you’ll remember, we started EA Originals with a commitment to help
    independent developers bring unique and memorable games to the world. We can’t wait to see
    fans come out and support these deeply-talented creators and the ideas they have brought to
    life in these games."

    And here are a couple of links about Fe and A Way Out. Funded by EA but not EA games.

    https://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/12/11915090/ea-originals-fe-zoink-games

    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-10-ea-originals-program-continues-with-a-way-out

    Oh and "A Way Out" was vaguely floated for early 2018 as well. Big news (not) small studio is late to deliver!
    Gdemami
  • XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,257


    See the source image
    ScotdonpadrexcameltosisimmoralthangStjerneoddPhloomcjmarshVrika
Sign In or Register to comment.