Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud's Sub-Reddit Being Shut Due To Toxic Community

Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
And finally it's starting to hit the mainstream media. MassivelyOP covered it here;

A brand-new mod who took over r/shroudoftheavatar is now asking fans if they want the sub to remain open in light of several other subreddits covering the game and the sub devolving into a mess of trolling and outright attacks. “If you want this to stay open, posting is the second best thing you can do,” the new mod said. “Make your case not just here, but out there. Provide some things worth talking about. Win or go out swinging.”

I personally am the current target of most of that harassment. I detail the wider context here, although unfortunately MassivelyOP didn't publish it there.

Long story short, it was more than just "outright attacks", the unhinged lunatic behind much of the stalking and harassment has been slowly escalating to the point that he was suggesting on Xmas Day my family would be raped and killed if I kept criticising the game; he was suggesting he was coming to my country and looking for weapons, and another user was encouraging him by giving an address in Canada to also visit... which got deleted 3 days later when someone in Wichita was killed in a similar swatting incident.

Reddit then finally pulled their fingers out and pressured the moderator of the Sub to take control, he resigned rather than bother, and the new moderator quickly realised it probably couldn't be saved, and so opened the poll on it.

The unhinged lunatic then manipulated the poll itself, in part to try and slander me by claiming I was forging votes to shut it down (I didn't have too, he did it all by himself) and well, here we are today. It's being locked down because the Mod claims people need time out to relax...

He simply moved over to the now dominant, critical forum Shroud_Raw, and carried on as before. I currently have police reports active on him in the UK, where I live, and Austin Texas where Portalarium are, but until either they or Reddit is willing and able to identify him, prosecution is being held up.

He's also tried manipulating people here too; you will have seen him getting instantly banned on the recent Shroud coverage.

Bear all of this in mind when people try and tell you it's a great community. And I've not even mentioned the Real Money Traders yet, and their campaign to shut down anyone telling the truth about it...

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well it seems the problem may be solved, seems there's now a "ShroudoftheAvatarNice" sub reddit, and the plug pulled on the "neutral"

As a confirmed hater you'll likely want to stay clear of it and stick to the RAW one.

Perhaps the attacks will abate,  but if not it really is up to you to solve the problem.

(Easy solution,  stop making negative posts)
    Wraithone

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited January 2018
    By "toxic community" do they mean harsh criticism?

Well, then again, I have never been on Reddit. I kind of feel people know what they are getting into when they get into discussions there.
    Ice-Queen
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    And finally it's starting to hit the mainstream media. MassivelyOP covered it here;

um, I wouldn't call a video game site "mainstream media" but thanks for the update.
    AllerleirauhInteritusWraithone
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Shutting down the reddit because players dont't even care anymore.  Doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy.
    Aron_Swordmaster
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Kyleran said:
    Well it seems the problem may be solved, seems there's now a "ShroudoftheAvatarNice" sub reddit, and the plug pulled on the "neutral"

As a confirmed hater you'll likely want to stay clear of it and stick to the RAW one.

Perhaps the attacks will abate,  but if not it really is up to you to solve the problem.

Nice to see you show your true colours. You've always had an incredibly thin skin with regards to criticism of the game, but justifying rape and death threats because of it? That's exceptionally low.

The guy who set up the "Nice" sub-forum by the way is a Real Money Trader who also runs multiple false identities, got caught on Reddit admitting he'd stolen people's RMT possessions by exploiting the renting system, and after trying to use his facebook account to forge "doxing" by quoting his posts and thus his real name, revealed he'd also scammed thousands of dollars by falsely representing himself as connected to a charity.

So... not exactly nice at all, really.

But still, shutting people up talking about things like that is worth a little victim blaming I guess?

Wraithone
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181

Well, then again, I have never been on Reddit. I kind of feel people know what they are getting into when they get into discussions there.
    Quite the opposite; they mean that people attempting to criticise the game were being subjected to an unmoderated stream of direct threats and harassment, and that the moderator despaired of ever bringing it under control.

Fortunately, he's since been bombarded with claims that the harassment was justified because I didn't bat my eyelids and go "I guess I'll just go back to the kitchen and be sugar and spice and all things nice", and decided to make one of his co-mods the person who encouraged the talk of SWATing people, and posted an address in Manitoba to come visit him too on.

So the sub is saved!

Or maybe not.

KyleranJamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited February 2018
    I never understood the appeal of reddit.    We have MMORPG.COM to discuss mmorpgs...

SovrathDakeruKyleranbartoni33Wraithone

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I am right in thinking this game is not out yet? If so do you not think it is pointless in getting involved in all this drama? It seems to be launching in March, soon players can make their mind up for themselves how good or bad it is.

Until then do something like play another game, I cannot believe any game, no matter how good or bad is worth this much of anyone's time.
    KyleranBeezerbeez[Deleted User]bartoni33Wraithone
    Kyleran said:

Nice to see you show your true colours. You've always had an incredibly thin skin with regards to criticism of the game, but justifying rape and death threats because of it? That's exceptionally low.

The guy who set up the "Nice" sub-forum by the way is a Real Money Trader who also runs multiple false identities, got caught on Reddit admitting he'd stolen people's RMT possessions by exploiting the renting system, and after trying to use his facebook account to forge "doxing" by quoting his posts and thus his real name, revealed he'd also scammed thousands of dollars by falsely representing himself as connected to a charity.

So... not exactly nice at all, really.

But still, shutting people up talking about things like that is worth a little victim blaming I guess?

Always? I have no issue with criticizing anything, but little tolerance for people who go spoiling for a fight with crazy people and then get upset when said crazies don't play by the rules of civilized society. 

Worse,  then they expect others to bail them out when the most simple solution is to walk away and leave the crazies alone in the asylum. 

Look, I get standing one's ground on issues that really matter, some which might even be worth dying for, but over a game, when they don't even like it?

Even fanboi fanaticism makes more sense, but certainly doesn't excuse rape and death threats which of course all rational people agree on.

AzothWraithone

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Quite the opposite; they mean that people attempting to criticise the game were being subjected to an unmoderated stream of direct threats and harassment, and that the moderator despaired of ever bringing it under control.

Fortunately, he's since been bombarded with claims that the harassment was justified because I didn't bat my eyelids and go "I guess I'll just go back to the kitchen and be sugar and spice and all things nice", and decided to make one of his co-mods the person who encouraged the talk of SWATing people, and posted an address in Manitoba to come visit him too on.

So the sub is saved!

Or maybe not.

Perhaps you could create a new sub reddit and be the moderator? 

Problem solved, ban anyone you deem toxic.

Wraithone

• hamlathishamlathis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited February 2018
    Xodic said:
    Reddit...

Good luck with that drama series.
    Not in Reddit too.
    no more / not anymore on sota :wink:
    Post edited by hamlathis on
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    SoTA was a Toxic community overall.   When I suggested that buying the player cities was pay to win people were very close minded and rude.   This is why this project is failing because the entire community that spent a lot of money on the game is closed minded.
    JamesGoblin
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202

It's not just reddit.  mmorpg, steam, other game forums where people dont like thier game these jokers try to say their all toxic and trolls. Its just their way to try and make excuses because they literally cant get anyone beyond the RMT fans they got to play it. The real toxic people is their community and devs.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    These shisters I'm shocked honestly I mean who would not trust themRisultati immagini per eye roll emoji
    Rawyn
    Chamber of Chains
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Next on the list of dead games?  SotA.  Before Wildstar even!  (And i make the crack being a fan lol)
    Rawyn
  • maxlancemaxlance Member UncommonPosts: 35
    It's truly sad how the anonymity of the internet brings out the most immature and boorish and uncivil nature in people voicing criticisms and dislikes. MMO makers have my sympathy.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    maxlance said:
    It's truly sad how the anonymity of the internet brings out the most immature and boorish and uncivil nature in people voicing criticisms and dislikes. MMO makers have my sympathy.
    I disagree.

This game got it's well deserved negative critiq.

Only fanbois that fail to understand this. 
    HachlathIce-Queen
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited February 2018
    there's no more fanboys on the game, I'm always ALONE online
    last ultimate fans are on forum not anymore on the game ^^ Even the fans are gone. tried several days ago, it's always the same joke. last time I saw players on the game it was 2 years ago maybe 3.
    Ice-Queen