Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster Hunter World Scores Megabucks for Capcom with 5M Copies Shipped - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Siveria said:
    Like I said they'd make a fortune if they sold MH on a real console, (being ps4 no ne cares about xbone anymore), Insted of some underpowered nintendo shiz.
    You say that, but I'd purchase this game a second time if it launched on the Nintendo Switch. Best. Console. Ever.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Plus, who doesn't want to dress and arm their cats to the teeth?
    my Cat is fully geared like a Watcher from Horizon Zero Dawn and it even makes the little robotic movement sounds. Can't wait to dress my character as Aloy as well.
    infomatz

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018
    OhhPaigey said:
    Torval said:
    I'm going to get it when it comes to PC Secondary Race. :D
    I have nothing to play so I bought it last night. Booting it up now on my PS4. If it's good and I'm still interested I'll buy it on PC too, since I have an expensive PC that plays like 0 resource intensive games lol.
    I was going to wait for the PC version as well but i couldn't resist. I've got 26-28 hours in and the fun doesn't seem to have an end. I will get it on PC as well this fall for the 60fps alone.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited January 2018

Anthur said:

How do they dare to be successfull without having microtransactions and lootboxes ? Scandalous !

Well it's not like it's an MMORPG or lots of players in one area...so they know no one has to show off to another. Otherwise they'd be stupid not to milk it.
    This is actually not true. The Monster Hunter franchise historically and in this one are ALL about cosmetics. Half the fun of the game is unlocking a new armor set and looking at it for the first time going...I NEED THAT! This is also a game that has historically been a co-op focused game where there was literally content locked off unless you played in co-op. The new one can be played entirely solo, but you are missing out on half the game due to how much differently it can play with a group. There are also weapons that aren't good solo, but work really well in a group. They could have milked it easily, hell they still are planning to do MTX. (just small ones and yes, they are cosmetic) 
    edited January 2018

3dom said:

I wonder if delayed PC release is a part of anti-piracy strategy? They likely to sell more console copies if people won't expect to get pirated PC copies instead of waiting for 8 months.

I swear to ... the world really needs to crack down on piraters. Those who use pirated content and those who provide such. We need some real harsh penalties.
    While I tend to agree, do realize that what you are asking for includes: No more streaming TV, Movies, or Music outside of paid services. 

Wizardry said:
    I don't see numbers as being anything meaningful and i learned that way back when Farmville was reeling off millions of dollars.Times have changed,lots of foolish spending now a days,more money than brains.

I have over the last few years witnessed almost EVERY single new game become instantly popular because gamer's are bored and will play whatever the next big streamer is playing for a week then rinse and repeat.

I am not going to point at particular games but i have seen total low budget junk doing well,so how could Capcom not do well imo they would have to be totally incompetent to not do well.

Let's talk about Monster hunter in a month from now when it is dying off very quickly and talk about how so many gamer's just jump on every new bandwagon with no merit what so ever.

Right now gaming and spending is like a gambling or alcoholic disease,very foolish spending across all aspects of gaming.
    My opinion,Monster Hunter is barely a 5/10,meaning i don't want to play it,not even a little bit,not even for free.So why would i care if 5 million copies are sold,does that mean i am supose to jump off that same bridge just because everyone else is?

Spoken like a true cynic. You know it is okay for people to enjoy a thing you don't like just because you are trying to be a contrarian and have not even played the game. This is not an MMO. This is just a game. It is not supposed to last for years. A month and it being dead is certainly pushing it though. This game will do well for most of the year as they provide ongoing support for it. Does it matter if it will be old news / low population a year from now? No. It is just a video game that came out, that people are enjoying. It does not need to last forever. 

You are also not allowed to have a valuable opinion on a game that you have not played as well, sorry. That is like judging a movie or television show entirely on a trailer -or- like looking at the cover of a book and saying it sucks. 
    Aeander
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Is there that much to explore and do in the game? I heard that the number of encounters is limited and pretty much one pattern. Not that there aren't different ways to do the encounters, but there is a "right" way that will be most efficient, and therefore used 95% of the time. How many hours till you start rinsing and repeating?
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    well I'm glad that a "big budget" online game does well. Encourages investors to invest in future games, without we having to cope with another kickstarter or early access pre alpha opt-in.

Only concern is the micro transactions in MHW, they aint lootboxes, but when that moneystream dries out, what will they then throw at us?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2018
    Is there that much to explore and do in the game? I heard that the number of encounters is limited and pretty much one pattern. Not that there aren't different ways to do the encounters, but there is a "right" way that will be most efficient, and therefore used 95% of the time. How many hours till you start rinsing and repeating?
    @esc-joconnor Good questions. Monster Hunter is a grind, a big one. You are literally hunting lootboxes. But they are the best lootboxes ever, they roar, they stomp, they behave like real creatures. And yes, you might have to hunt and slaughter them a dozen times, those encounters can play out completely different each and every time. Take into consideration that each weapon plays like a completely different class AND that Capcom is adding post-launch monsters and you easily have 100s of hours of gameplay, for some even 1000s.

It is hard to explain, there really isn't anything like it that quite captures the essence and video's really don't do it justice. I'll be playing it to the moon and back on just ONE out of 14 weapons, Switch Axe ftw!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    @esc-joconnor Good questions. Monster Hunter is a grind, a big one. You are literally hunting lootboxes. But they are the best lootboxes ever, they roar, they stomp, they behave like real creatures. And yes, you might have to hunt and slaughter them a dozen times, those encounters can play out completely different each and every time. Take into consideration that each weapon plays like a completely different class AND that Capcom is adding post-launch monsters and you easily have 100s of hours of gameplay, for some even 1000s.

It is hard to explain, there really isn't anything like it that quite captures the essence and video's really don't do it justice. I'll be playing it to the moon and back on just ONE out of 14 weapons, Switch Axe ftw!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Thanks! I guess I'll have time to see how it plays out as I don't own a console (aside from the switch I have no games for and will probably sell)
    edited January 2018
    As far as exploring the world, it has a whole lot of it. The maps look great and there is more then enough killing, gathering, and hunting to go around. They are also multi-layered as well so there is some basic pseudo platforming. (Think Uncharted / Assassins Creed)  What you were told could not be further from the truth though. There are tons of ways to do every fight, each weapon will be good enough to get you through the game and if there is an optimal weapon (most fights have a few) then you will learn it through an in game tool.

Efficiency is not really a good way to look at Monster Hunter. I know, cause this is the approach I figured it would take. You can be efficient in what order you do things, but what it boils down to is that there are a whole lot of ways to do them. The different weapons aren't just slightly different, they make the game feel like you are playing something else in some cases. The weapons have been refined over years and years to what they are today. Most MH Veterans always tell me to not worry about my weapon and to pick the style that suites me. 

Not only that, but every time you fight the same encounter, it is rarely the same. If you are solo, with other people, everyone's weapons, the creatures that are around, the environmental tools / hazards, other monsters, the chase, and even the location changes a ton. Probably the only thing in that whole list that can be similar is the location of the monster. That can change quickly though depending on how quickly you get to it. 

Now don't get me wrong, there is ALOT of grinding in this game, but it is masked incredibly well behind encounters that always feel varied as well as extremely good gameplay that rivals games like Dark Souls. 

There is also a pretty hefty amount of monsters, all having variants normally at the end game with different abilities then they did previously. 
  • pureremedypureremedy Member UncommonPosts: 42

SBFord said:

etlar said:

Fantastic game haven't stopped playing it, those who get it on pc are in for an eye watering treat when it comes to how the game looks. It's looks beautiful on the PS4 Pro so the pc will look fantastic.

When you first enter the game you are on a ship on your way to the the new world and the totorial Islands.

As soon as you land you know your playing something special and a lot of effort has gone into the game.

when is this out for pc? havent watched anything about it, though i always desired to play one, im mostly a pc guy. and Also, for you info, your words, sounds like a way i would describe something i cared about and felt is good; so congratulations, you just hyped me beyond myself, i need to get this game lol :)

Not until Fall 2018. :<

Yes they must test the side effects on us console peasants before bringing the product to our pc master race overlords! ;)

games look great on consoles and its out already pc has to wait half a year to get it so much for the pc master race overlords!
    ConstantineMerus
    edited January 2018

SBFord said:

etlar said:

Fantastic game haven't stopped playing it, those who get it on pc are in for an eye watering treat when it comes to how the game looks. It's looks beautiful on the PS4 Pro so the pc will look fantastic.

When you first enter the game you are on a ship on your way to the the new world and the totorial Islands.

As soon as you land you know your playing something special and a lot of effort has gone into the game.

when is this out for pc? havent watched anything about it, though i always desired to play one, im mostly a pc guy. and Also, for you info, your words, sounds like a way i would describe something i cared about and felt is good; so congratulations, you just hyped me beyond myself, i need to get this game lol :)

Not until Fall 2018. :<

Yes they must test the side effects on us console peasants before bringing the product to our pc master race overlords! ;)

games look great on consoles and its out already pc has to wait half a year to get it so much for the pc master race overlords!
    PC is not the master race because it gets every single game that is on console, it is because it is not only the superior machine, objectively,but it also has way more gaming options then console. :P

The main reason MH does not have a PC release out of the gate is because PC Gaming is not very popular in Japan. Japanese culture is more about mobile gaming then any other kind of gaming. It is the main reason the Monster Hunter franchise has been primarily mobile up until this point. 
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    OhhPaigey said:
    Torval said:
    I'm going to get it when it comes to PC Secondary Race. :D
    I have nothing to play so I bought it last night. Booting it up now on my PS4. If it's good and I'm still interested I'll buy it on PC too, since I have an expensive PC that plays like 0 resource intensive games lol.
    I was going to wait for the PC version as well but i couldn't resist. I've got 26-28 hours in and the fun doesn't seem to have an end. I will get it on PC as well this fall for the 60fps alone.
    Yep I have a good few hours into it too and really enjoying it. Real intense combat, fun weapons and world design, ect.
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Quick, somebody tell me how Dauntless is different and how people can enjoy both. :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2018
    Quick, somebody tell me how Dauntless is different and how people can enjoy both. :D
    I can't speak for Dauntless at this moment due to lack of experience, but I will say that it's f2p business model at least makes long term developer support more likely than for any single Monster Hunter title. 

I know speaking for potential isn't a strong argument, but if Dauntless can even survive, longevity is likely. Best case scenario, we're looking at a similar scenario to Warframe vs. Destiny. Except that, unlike Destiny, MHW is actually good, and thus presents a higher bar to leap.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Watching Dansgame play this,the only thing i saw was two things...
    somersault...swing...somersault..swing...somersault..swing,then i went into zzzzzzzzzz mode and reminded myself why i don't get into the hype of bad games.

AeanderCelcius

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2018
    Wizardry said:
    somersault...swing...somersault..swing...somersault..swing,then i went into zzzzzzzzzz mode and reminded myself why i don't get into the hype of bad games.

Says the guy who called Paragon the best moba. I swear, you either have the worst taste in the world, or you are pointlessly contrarian for its own sake.
    Celcius
    Aeander said:
    Wizardry said:

Says the guy who called Paragon the best moba. I swear, you either have the worst taste in the world, or you are pointlessly contrarian for its own sake.
    Some people just hate things because a lot of other people like them. 
    Celcius said:
    As far as exploring the world, it has a whole lot of it. The maps look great and there is more then enough killing, gathering, and hunting to go around. They are also multi-layered as well so there is some basic pseudo platforming. (Think Uncharted / Assassins Creed)  What you were told could not be further from the truth though. There are tons of ways to do every fight, each weapon will be good enough to get you through the game and if there is an optimal weapon (most fights have a few) then you will learn it through an in game tool.

Efficiency is not really a good way to look at Monster Hunter. I know, cause this is the approach I figured it would take. You can be efficient in what order you do things, but what it boils down to is that there are a whole lot of ways to do them. The different weapons aren't just slightly different, they make the game feel like you are playing something else in some cases. The weapons have been refined over years and years to what they are today. Most MH Veterans always tell me to not worry about my weapon and to pick the style that suites me. 

Not only that, but every time you fight the same encounter, it is rarely the same. If you are solo, with other people, everyone's weapons, the creatures that are around, the environmental tools / hazards, other monsters, the chase, and even the location changes a ton. Probably the only thing in that whole list that can be similar is the location of the monster. That can change quickly though depending on how quickly you get to it. 

Now don't get me wrong, there is ALOT of grinding in this game, but it is masked incredibly well behind encounters that always feel varied as well as extremely good gameplay that rivals games like Dark Souls. 

There is also a pretty hefty amount of monsters, all having variants normally at the end game with different abilities then they did previously. 
    Hmmm, I'm an altaholic who doesn't really get into grinding at all unless I like the world itself. I also have no use for vanity pets. I get the feeling a lot of people are in the honeymoon phase now with this game. I'll see what the game is like when it comes to PC I guess.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Historically speaking, that is what a game is supposed to do. Challenge you to find a way to beat an encounter, level, puzzle etc and then those who want to overachieve can figure out, not only how to beat it, but how to do it as efficiently and effectively as possible.