Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    NorseGod said:
    Most of the descriptions in these updates are about fluff, updated assets that get updated again.

The judge said, all that CIG needs to do to avoid giving back refunds; was to prove that they are still in development.

So expect rework of rework and meaningless fluff. Oh, and more concept art for sale.

I still don't get how people allow them to get away with calling it an Alpha, when it lacks core mechanics. Software doesn't generally go into Alpha until core mechanics are in place.

That's why the people who know that, call SC a Tech Demo. And the people who don't know that, call the others "haters" for keeping CIG honest.
    There's more than enough real work to do without reworking something just to reworking, that argument is nonsensical.
    MaxBaconOdeezee
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Alpha 3.5.1 was released. 
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-5-1-live-1798586-patch-notes

Its highlight is the addition of visual ship customization for exterior, interior and components. The rest is polish/bug-fixes.
    In development bits, the server-side OCS that is another major improvement to network (allow servers to unload and load areas of space as needed):

""Work was also completed towards ‘server-side’ object container streaming (OCS). Several bugs discovered during testing were addressed, as were some found on the current diffusion network. All work last month paves the way for the completion of as much of the new diffusion network as possible before ‘holistic’ testing begins."

"They also completed general systems work, which included adding support for authoritative and non-authoritative entity component updates, the first implementation of server-side OCS, and establishing debug GUI user framework (based on IMGUI integration)."
    Odeezee
    Last roadmap update https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Normal progress, to note the work finishing on another network improvement feature, the client to server actor networking refactor is meant to reduce perceived lag and jittering. On the AI it seen a push back of 3 AI features to the next patch, leaving AI for 3.6 with FPS AI Covers.
    The normal graph:

The SQ42 Roadmap:

On SQ42 relevant change is one chapter 21 completing its white box playable stage. Coming weeks as quarter comes to an end will set how many chapters pass upon their next stage.
    ErillionNorseGod
    In 3.6, the majority of the Flyable Ships will be purchasable with in-game currency, each location will still have its own inventory of ships to sell:

As well in 3.6 follow up patch (before 3.7), players will also be able to rent ships for in-game currency, a planned mechanic to not have to grind the buyout to play with other ships.

These ones for me being gigantic features to the planned economy and progression of players as announced, ofc won't be that much impact yet until the game stops facing wipes in-between major updates.
    NorseGod
    Last SC roadmap update:

With the needed release of 3.6 soon, the new version of character customization, fps cover usage (AI) and the Banu Defender are pushed to 3.7. Ship Rentals and the Origin 890 will come within 3.6 as the follow-up patch.

Ship Purchasing Kiosk was added to 3.6 being already in polish. Hover Mode, System Misfires, Carriables v2, Transit System v2 were completed this past week into polish.
    Erillion
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    NorseGod
    edited June 2019
    The first build of Alpha 3.6 has been released to the Evocati.

Initial patch notes https://pastebin.com/kW8GiiFJ

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Roughly what percentage of total ships are fly-able at this point, any idea?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

(with the 3.5 data now flight ready)
    KyleranErillionOdeezee
    I am all for choice but at what point is it just to much?  I realize this is their big income generator but at a certain point some type of redundancy has to set in.
    The core of ships drives the professions or core activities of the game such as salvaging, hauling, mining, piracy, etc... etc.. then they also have a bunch of variations of the same model like with the Constellations.

In past times there has been far more investment on funding that is not new ships, such as the ground vehicles and recently the ship vanity customization of interiors/exteriors.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

(with the 3.5 data now flight ready)
    I am all for choice but at what point is it just to much?  I realize this is their big income generator but at a certain point some type of redundancy has to set in.
    Most of those ships don't even exist. The ones that do exist, most are just copies of the same airframe. There really isn't much different ships at all in game.
    ErillionOdeezee
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    edited June 2019
    I like a selection of players totally expects this game to crash and burn, maybe not even ever fully release for whatever reason. But, if it releases to glowing reviews I'm jumping in and trying. Not really a lot of other choice out there atm.
    Erillion
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    Well based on the picture:

Finished 82+4 from 3.5 = 86; in progress (as of Feb) another 2+3+4+3 (3.6+3.7+3.8+SQ42);
    in concept (as of Feb) 31. Total: 129

So 2/3 complete (up to 3.5) and another 10% in progress (as of Feb).
    KyleranOctagon7711ErillionNorseGod
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Thanks, too late for me to be doing maths.

2/3rds complete is a far cry different than claims that  "most" are unfinished.
    ErillionMaxBacongervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    To be fair, there is quite a bit of difference between being a flyable ship and a finished ship.

These things were meant to come with all sorts of gameplay features that have only been partially realised in the most basic form possible.
    NorseGodOdeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You also have to take into account the time and expense of reworks.  Is something finished when it may be reworked and have it's design updated?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited June 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Finished 82+4 from 3.5 = 86; in progress (as of Feb) another 2+3+4+3 (3.6+3.7+3.8+SQ42);

Flyable does not mean finished. 

Your math is misleading.

You're not taken into account all the push backs to later patches (you're counting those). Most ships that are flyable are not finished (you're counting those). Most ships have multiple variants of the same airframe because they scrapped modules (you're counting those).

The number is 40 different looking ships. Less than 1/3 of what you stated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX-b5jVW3c

Post edited by NorseGod on
    MaxBaconOdeezee
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2019
    NorseGod said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:

Flyable does not mean finished. 

Your math is misleading.

You're not taken into account all the push backs to later patches (you're counting those). Most ships that are flyable are not finished (you're counting those). Most ships have multiple variants of the same airframe because they scrapped modules (you're counting those).

The number is 40 different looking ships. Less than 1/3 of what you stated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX-b5jVW3c

I just based it on the picture - as I said - partly to answer @Kyleran 's question and partly out of curiosity. Using the codes F for flight ready, C for in concept etc. Can't even remember how I counted stuff in re-work! Maybe I didn't count them ..... the universe is doomed! No agenda. No interest in what flyable means. 

Now if you knew the answer why didn't you say!

But hey based on your link - your link - the percentage is 50%. If I have counted accurately! A far cry from your answer of "most don't exist". 

Going forward - them churning out ships is now the proverbial sausage factory. Just a case of how many people work on the "task" which will dictate the speed at which the remaining ships are finished. (Yes the ships are different but in PM terms they are "repeaters".)

So unless they run out of money all the ships will happen - eventually. Will they come up with new ones? I neither know, care, nor follow the game that closely. Key question: are there enough now for persistence?

Edit: arguing that there are "fewer" completed ships because they are "just variants"  works both ways since the total number declines - since they are just variants right! This may make the %complete higher. Or lower - no idea. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    NorseGod
    gervaise1 said:
    But hey based on your link - your link - the percentage is 50%. If I have counted accurately! A far cry from your answer of "most don't exist". 
    His link is even outdated. Since that link up to the 3.5 patch, there is around ~15 new flyable ships of the list now in-game (with some new ones added over that period of time too).

The reworks, with the release of 4 reworks in 3.5, there are 4 reworks scheduled up to mid-2020 currently.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2019
    gervaise1 said:

Key question: are there enough now for persistence?
    It's never been a question whether there are enough ships for persistence, one ship would be enough for persistence. Persistence is a questions of when background systems are able to save and load data and handle respawning and despawning to keep the gameworld clean.
    Kylerangervaise1Octagon7711Erillion

edited June 2019
    To be fair, there is quite a bit of difference between being a flyable ship and a finished ship.
    No Ship in SC is finished if you account for the functionality hooked into them, some of it widely used around all ships other unique. This is not just "salvage, mining, etc...", it's the full extent of the simulation/components/flight model features.

Functionality is hooked into the ship after its creation, but nothing is finished until you can call 100% of all the features and mechanics and little nuances that are hooked into ships on this game to be done.
    Kyleran
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited June 2019
    Gotta have diseases, sicknesses, and disabilities before hospital ship functionality can begin.  Mining is in but nothing to craft with.  And then there's salvage and ship repair, etc.

Should all be finished in another 4 years or so I imagine.  ...like most SC predictions, this is going to look optimistic four years from now.
    edited June 2019
    TiamatRoar said:
    Mining is in but nothing to craft with. 
    SC is more of a trading game than a crafting game. When one mine you're more concerned about hauling it than going to a crafting station. The focused game loop of the mining as released is to earn money and one of the best ways of doing so.