Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated February 27th)

12627282931

Comments

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    Gdemami said:
    Kefo said:
    When they add things that they have been working on for a while and near completion so they look good or they just remove things because they are no longer going to work on them for now or just constantly push them back all the time they aren’t trying to show you any picture or be transparent.
    ...that is how software development works.

    You have several branches of the code so multiple teams can work on the code in parallel.

    While you do have a base roadmap with main features/fixes setup for particular release, there is plenty of room for stuff that can still go in or out depending on priorities and progression on the tasks.

    Projects like these have dozens of code branches and delivery management is quite a thing on it's own.

    You grossly underestimate the scale of the project such as 'AAA' MMO or very SC.
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

    In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
     
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,175
    edited December 2019
    Vrika said:
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

    In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
    Cards...wut?

    You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

    That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

    Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    edited December 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

    In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
    Cards...wut?

    You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

    That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

    Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
    Card is the term used by RSI. 

    I asked for cards specifically because I understand that there's no point in reporting us every change and fix. Only those large enough that they're made into their own card.
     
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited December 2019
    Vrika said:
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

    In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
    Cards...wut?

    You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

    That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

    Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
    Card is the term used by RSI. 

    I asked for cards specifically because I understand that there's no point in reporting us every change and fix. Only those large enough that they're made into their own card.
    Attm they have the Jira board but the roadmap is manual work from the producers translating that into the card updates.

    The other stuff in dev is surely from concept prototypes to implementations, and seeing from issues, prioritization of other things, simply the management of resources causes undertakings to pause to be revisited later, I guess it still requires producers to constantly maintain even if they drop disclosing details for those features.

    I am unsure if they'll do it, tho it'd be nice to represent better all that is going on simultaneously be it road mapped yet or not.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited December 2019
    2 vid clips from snow storms on microtech:

    Flying through: https://streamable.com/ik7e1

    On foot: https://streamable.com/ml4bf




    And 1 clip of the new craters on the v4 tech: https://streamable.com/79f2v
    Babuinix
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Welp, be looking in at in sometime around Oct. 2020.  Maybe we'll all get a surprise and they'll have a beta to announce.

    NorseGod
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,175
    edited December 2019
    Vrika said:
    Card is the term used by RSI. 

    I asked for cards specifically because I understand that there's no point in reporting us every change and fix. Only those large enough that they're made into their own card.
    I am not familiar with the term, I am not following SC development closely but if what MaxBacon said was true - that it is a manual work of being hand picked from internal tracking system, then it us precisely what I was referring to.

    End-user, or even game designer, perception is vastly different from actual engineer/programmer working on the code - they do not work on feature A on Monday, feature B on Thursday.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,497
    MaxBacon said:
    2 vid clips from snow storms on microtech:

    Flying through: https://streamable.com/ik7e1

    On foot: https://streamable.com/ml4bf


    And 1 clip of the new craters on the v4 tech: https://streamable.com/79f2v
    That deep crater looks awful imo, the others look good, it's nice to see they've done overlapping ones as well.

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Gdemami said:
    Vrika said:
    RSI could still have something like cards where no release target has been set on their roadmap.

    In fact it's likely they do have those kinds of cards. They're just hiding them from us.
    Cards...wut?

    You are looking at it from end-user perspective.

    That single 'card' actually represents several tasks among hundreds of tasks of bigger piece of work that was cut into.

    Yeah, they are 'hiding' shit load of changes and fixes from you because there is no point reporting evety detail.
    Card is the term used by RSI. 

    I asked for cards specifically because I understand that there's no point in reporting us every change and fix. Only those large enough that they're made into their own card.
    Attm they have the Jira board but the roadmap is manual work from the producers translating that into the card updates.

    The other stuff in dev is surely from concept prototypes to implementations, and seeing from issues, prioritization of other things, simply the management of resources causes undertakings to pause to be revisited later, I guess it still requires producers to constantly maintain even if they drop disclosing details for those features.

    I am unsure if they'll do it, tho it'd be nice to represent better all that is going on simultaneously be it road mapped yet or not.
    I think that they do some manual work to add the card, but that it's automated after it's added to roadmap.

    According to their roadmap caveats:
    "Feature progress and release plans will be updated here in an automated fashion, once per week"
     
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,175
    Vrika said:
    I think that they do some manual work to add the card, but that it's automated after it's added to roadmap.
    ...thing you are still missing is that 'roadmap' isn't a development tool but rather production tool.

    Roadmap does not track all changes, just specific milestones.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    MaxBacon said:
    2 vid clips from snow storms on microtech:

    Flying through: https://streamable.com/ik7e1

    On foot: https://streamable.com/ml4bf


    And 1 clip of the new craters on the v4 tech: https://streamable.com/79f2v
    That deep crater looks awful imo, the others look good, it's nice to see they've done overlapping ones as well.

    The best bits of the tech improvement is more on the shadows for me with the actual mountains casting shadows visible at long-distance was something quite missed, can still notice on the last clip some close-up res issues but beyond that is good




  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,497
    The fog/mist definitely adds a nice atmosphere to it.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    Another patch for 3.8's testing: https://pastebin.com/VTHrVKgJ

    It is now possible to pick where do you want to spawn in (first time you play):



    The new Argo ship

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited December 2019
    From the round-up the changes on the last roadmap update:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

    "Moved into polish:

    • New Babbage Landing Zone – Exterior
    • Rest Stop Space Station: Interior Variants
    • microTech Planet
    • Vehicle Look Ahead Camera
    • Vehicle Third Person Camera
    • FPS: Close Combat
    • Law System v2: Fines
    • Mining Heads
    • Rescue Hijacked 890 Jump
    • Restricted Area Rework
    • Advanced Gunship Defensive Maneuvers
    • Apocalypse Arms Animus Missile Launcher
    • Behring P6-LR Ballistic Sniper Rifle
    • Planet Tech V4

    PU – Restricted Areas
    Following review, we’ve determined Restricted Areas will require more time to work out a few implementation issues and has been moved to Alpha 3.9.

    PU – Planetary Weather Effects
    Planetary Weather Effects has been added to Alpha 3.8 and has been set to polishing. This card introduces the first iteration of snow, dust, and sand storm effects on planets, as well as a variety of accompanying effects, including impacts to atmospheric flight. Some elements of weather seen at CitizenCon, alongside dynamic weather tech, will be added to the Roadmap separately in the future.

    PU – Server-side Object Container Streaming (SOCS)
    Server-side Object Container Streaming has been added to Alpha 3.8 and has been set to polishing. SOCS is core technology which allows us to stream in and out Object Containers and other entities on the server contextually, based on the players connected to said server. By only loading Object Containers when they are required, fewer entities are loaded on the server at any one time, resulting in reduced server load per instance.

    PU – microTech Collection
    Because the stores where you will be able to purchase this collection will be in New Babbage, the microTech Collection has been shifted back to Alpha 3.9 to correspond with the release of the landing zone.

    The following cards on the SQ42 Roadmap have been moved into completed:

    • FPS: Close Combat
    • Flight Gunships"


    So we have the new clothing & restricted area pushback, with the addition of weather effects for different types of storms in alpha 3.8 and the long-awaited first implementation of SSOCS.


  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,355
    Is account sharing against the ToS?

    I would like my Great Grandchildren to play this when they are 18yrs old.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Is account sharing against the ToS?

    I would like my Great Grandchildren to play this when they are 18yrs old.
    oh wow. that was such a good joke. no one has ever made that one before. 10/10
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    3.8 continues on initial testing with multiple patches 
    Current on J: https://pastebin.com/ssMRLPu3


    As for more microtech












    Erillion
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    Alpha 3.8 PTU wave 1 has been pushed: 
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/3-8-ptu-wave-1-help-us-test-socs

    The PTU build is different, a test focused on primarily stress testing server-side OCS and breaking it as much as possible before the rest.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    The last roadmap update:




  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    The SQ42's update:




    No changes on chapters.

    Q3 2019 dragged due to the 2 major capital ships not yet complete.

    Q4 2019 closing soon also swamped with SQ42's ships needing completion. But has a backlog of tasks that should push back to Q1 2020.


  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    Last PTU patch: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-8-0l-ptu-3855389-patch-notes

    Fixing waves continue with the last addictions, open PTU is intended within a week if a wanted to release before Christmas break.
    Tom_Neverwinter
  • Tom_NeverwinterTom_Neverwinter Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I'm excited the weather and new ships look fun to mess with. I cant wait to also explore the new planetoids
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    Alpha 3.8 PTU is now open to all backers. Constant bug-fixing patches continue to hit so the update can be labeled for a live release on the next days.
    Erillion
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-feedback-increased-player-cap-to-60

    Star Citizen PTU is now testing servers with 60 players per game-server.


  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    edited January 13
    MaxBacon said:
    I though they already did some tests with 60 players last year.

    I doesn't necessarily mean they'd be increasing the capacity, though. All multiplayer games do occasional tests with loads that are known to cause problems, it helps to both optimize and to detect problems where something implodes instead of just performing poorly.
     
Sign In or Register to comment.