Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Zath is the New Limited Time Server Set to Release on January 24th - Age of Conan: Unchained

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageSaga of Zath is the New Limited Time Server Set to Release on January 24th - Age of Conan: Unchained - MMORPG.com

Age of Conan: Unchained News - You may remember that late last year, Funcom announced a new Age of Conan server type: the limited time server. In a new post on the AoC site, details about how the server works and how you can get involved have been posted. The "Saga of Zath" server is set to launch on Wednesday, January 24th if all goes according to plan and it will be live until May 15th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

CryptoCrow

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Eh, I'll give it a crack. This will be on the old client right? (meaning I can get it via steam?) And they aren't expecting a sub fee right?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Albatroes said:
    Eh, I'll give it a crack. This will be on the old client right? (meaning I can get it via steam?) And they aren't expecting a sub fee right?
    Yep, on the 'old' client, it's simply just a new server. No sub needed, but it has the same f2p (so as a sub you will level faster, and won't have gold cap). But even without the xp boost, you can level to 80 during the close 4 months (while the server will be open) even if you hop on one leg.

Not about raiding, or at least not exclusively - unless you want your name at the end on the e-peen board :smiley:  Personally, for me it is more like a fresh start experience, with lots of players leveling at once. There won't be account bonuses or similar buffs, so in theory the peak of the normal distribution will stay together, more or less - sure there will be the rushers, and the rose-smelling slower players on the sides.
    To be honest, I don't even remember when was the last time I could run the early dungeons with an on-level group... and not with at least 1 (or more) higher levels there.

If they won't funcom'ng it, I'm sure it will be fun.
    ScottJeslisAlbatroes
    Is necro any good as a first class or is there something better for someone new that's ranged/support focused other than just being a pure healer?
    MrMelGibson
    edited January 2018
    AoC has 12 classes, with at least 1 unique in each archetype category, those might considered a bit more difficult to handle, but also more fun to play. Necro is not among them (from the mages the 'unique' one is the herald, a melee mage who can turn into a demon).

Another factor might be the combo system, which could be a bit confusing for a new player (or at least that was the case 10 years ago, now it is more common), but, necro doesn't use the combo system.

I can't think of anything else just those two points :wink:  so yep, a necro sounds like a good starter class based on that. It handles just like any casters from other MMOs, and it is fun to have your own little army. Has a limited form of 'pet management/formation' but nothing close to CoV's mastermind for example. Simply you have a set amount of points, and can only summon that much pets at a time, according to your goals. Can be a swarm of (smaller) melee damage ones, or two hard-hitters, etc.

As for support, I think it's only limited (but admittedly I always went after damage with my necro). Has CC, some buffs, but where it really shines is damage. The pets don't tank for you (by default, you can set one to grab aggro but it will die fast, and then you're the target again), and the pathfinding can be wonky, so necro is not as smooth as a demo for example. Can go for a pet-less route too, and just being a dark mage, that is smoother but more boring, since pets are fun.

Ranged/support, that sounds more like the ranger, but I never liked the ranger... maybe @Nebless can drop in here (instead making a new thread :wink: ) and update you on rangers.
    MrMelGibsondaltanious
    Po_gg said:
    AoC has 12 classes, with at least 1 unique in each archetype category, those might considered a bit more difficult to handle, but also more fun to play. Necro is not among them (from the mages the 'unique' one is the herald, a melee mage who can turn into a demon).

Another factor might be the combo system, which could be a bit confusing for a new player (or at least that was the case 10 years ago, now it is more common), but, necro doesn't use the combo system.

I can't think of anything else just those two points :wink:  so yep, a necro sounds like a good starter class based on that. It handles just like any casters from other MMOs, and it is fun to have your own little army. Has a limited form of 'pet management/formation' but nothing close to CoV's mastermind for example. Simply you have a set amount of points, and can only summon that much pets at a time, according to your goals. Can be a swarm of (smaller) melee damage ones, or two hard-hitters, etc.

As for support, I think it's only limited (but admittedly I always went after damage with my necro). Has CC, some buffs, but where it really shines is damage. The pets don't tank for you (by default, you can set one to grab aggro but it will die fast, and then you're the target again), and the pathfinding can be wonky, so necro is not as smooth as a demo for example. Can go for a pet-less route too, and just being a dark mage, that is smoother but more boring, since pets are fun.

Ranged/support, that sounds more like the ranger, but I never liked the ranger... maybe @Nebless can drop in here (instead making a new thread :wink: ) and update you on rangers.
    Is Herald the only one who can transform or are there others as well?
    Herald is the only one, that's his signature move :wink:  and does pretty good damage while possessed (in demon form).
    MrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is a trending gimmick to attain quick money grabs similar to what EQ2 is now doing with very little effort from the developer.
    So basically luring me in via a RAID gimmick,something i detest about mmorpg's.

Masses of people left for a reason,do they honestly think a raid gimmick will send people scurrying back to play?

My biggest peeve was like so many other mmorpg's,it felt like a single player game with lights turning on/off in houses and even Tortage a cool idea is a single player idea.
    daltanious

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'm interested. Haven't played in a long time. I'll see how this goes.
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    I'm really trying my best with this game, but dang....there's so many pills you have to swallow to put it nicely. It definitely looks and places way older than its release date. I can get over the look of the game but the ui and combat feel really pre-dated for its time, like just above EQ1 but not close to vanilla wow
    The UI you can replace or edit as much you like, it is really flexible. (curse used to have tons of custom UIs, and you can find some on the forum as well)

Combat, yep as said above the casters behave pretty much like other games' casters :wink: single target and AoE spells behave just like that, and only at a few spells you need positioning. But you asked for something familiar and easy for a newcomer :smiley:
    Melee is a bit more demanding. This tutorial is old, but still accurate https://youtu.be/zIAsPkrLGK8  (except sprinting is not tied to stamina anymore), the magic part starts at around 3 minutes.

The "looks and places way older than its release date" is not very accurate however (luckily you can get over it as you said :wink: ), you remember the games of that era? MMOs were still fairly blocky, and on the single player side Oblivion for example just launched two years before...
    Sure, might not be a "valid" entry since Henryx makes great videos, but check this https://youtu.be/1-3krIaMRkk   in those years it was pretty huge.
    A large part of the launch issues (most of the bugs) was originated in that too, I had a quad with a good gfx card so it was mostly ok for me, but a lot of guildmates struggled with their average (but more than enough for wow or EQ or for their usual games) gear, they had crashes all the time, freezes, etc.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Server is trash. Good luck to all who try.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited January 2018
    Po_gg said:
    My main's a lvl 80 Ranger.   For Basic's you'll end up with some strong bow attacks, backed up with more basic melee attacks.    If in a group you can hang back and range away to your hearts content, solo the targets are going to come after you and if it's more than one on one you might have problems.

You get traps you can set before you which will either slow up or extra damage the targets that come to melee you so towards the higher levels you'll be able to drop one, have the target hit it, get stuck out of melee range so you can drop back, drop another trap and continue killing it outside of melee range.

Rangers can be alittle thin skinned if you set it up like any of the forum's recommended feat builds.  If on the other hand you're willing to give up some of those recommended things and invest in building up your armor / con it works out pretty good.

I don't raid so all I can say is from a Solo point of view is Ranger is a workable class, although disliked by many.

Now I would recommend a Tempest of Set as a starter character.  Ranged attacks with a heal function.    Beside's my Dark Templer, it's been one of the easier classes to play for me.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Just a bump - have to say it didn't take much time :wink:  - what was mentioned here https://youtu.be/kCv-kZVKR2Y?t=1m7s  was done on the weekend by some rushers, but it took some time to Funcom to actually spread the item and only appeared on the claims now.

So, if you have a character on the Saga server you can now grab the cloak through the claims. It is account-wide, and... it is fugly. A lot. 
    But, it's free, and those rusher players worked for it, so... freebie :smiley: