Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's group-based PVE requiring teamwork and not trivial to win

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,267
Yes, Hyper Universe is a MOBA, and not technically an MMORPG.  But if you wanted group-based PVE of the sort that some might hope that MMORPGs would provide, Hyper Universe does it better than most MMORPGs.  Yes, really.

The basic idea is that it's a 4 on 4 MOBA where you destroy the enemy towers to win.  Unlike most MOBAs, Hyper Universe is side-scrolling rather than overhead view.  You can play it with keyboard and mouse, just keyboard, or a gamepad.  Keyboard and mouse would probably be rough unless you've got a mouse with a lot of buttons, as I'd think it's better to have two hands on the keyboard otherwise.

As is common in MOBAs, there is a group finder, so you enter the queue and seconds later, you have a group.  Unlike the other MOBAs I've seen, PVE is a major component of the game, basically co-equal with PVP.  You can play it as a PVE game, as PVP, or as both.

Unlike League of Legends and Atlas Reactor (the other MOBAs that I've played), if you want to play it as PVE, you get a full team of real players on your side, and the AI is tuned to be beatable but not trivial.  While I haven't yet lost a match, my side has had more deaths than kills in 5 of the last 11 matches I've played with only one easy win where we just marched right through the AI in that time.

The tutorial says that they set the PVE so that you win about 90% of the time.  That's much harder than winning 50% of the time in PVP, of course.  But it's far more of a challenge than the PVE combat in so many MMORPGs where you don't even have to pay attention and basically win just for showing up.  If you get sloppy in Hyper Universe, you'll end up dead in a hurry.

There is considerable teamwork involved, and skirmishes tend to be won by whichever side has more players in the area.  Or perhaps rather, by whoever has a tower in the area if there is at least one player to defend it, but otherwise, more players.  That doesn't mean that you all stay together.  It's hard to kill anyone who can readily back up, so flanking your opponents and having extra firepower show up at an inopportune time for your opponents is a major part of combat.  That said, while teamwork is important, there isn't much in the way of communication within your team.

You might expect flagrant pay to win from a Nexon game.  We're fortunate that League of Legends was so successful with a pretty generous business model, and Hyper Universe seems to borrow from that.  There are 41 "hypers" (playable heroes) in the game, of which 6 are currently free to play on a rotation.  The ones that are free vary from one week to the next, but when characters are in the rotation, you can use their gear for free.  You can buy permanent access to a character, and separately buy access to some gear specific to that character.  There are also four particular characters that you unlock for free, along with their gear, very early on.

You can get a lot unlocked very early on, however.  If you want just the character unlocks, I could unlock 15 arbitrary characters of my choice right now.  If you want characters plus gear, I could get 7 right now, and am close to making that eight.  Again, that's arbitrary characters of my choice, with permanent access to them.  And that's in addition to whichever characters are on rotation.

Granted, most of that is from early, one-time bonuses, and it's going to slow down tremendously.  But even after that, the prices aren't terrible.  Unlocking a character costs 15000 "game points" or $5, and you seem to get game points from playing matches at about 2000 per hour.  Unlocking all of the character's gear is another 12000 game points.  You get additional game points from missions, such as 500 for your first win of the day.  You can also obtain characters by crafting, though that's slow and random.

So how do they make money?  It looks like they're going to mostly rely on people buying skins.  Each character has two alternate skins.  You can get them by crafting, which is slow and only partially lets you pick which skin you even unlock.  Or you can buy them:  one skin is $5.90 per character, and the other is $9.90.  You get one alternate skin of your choice for free, but after that, they're whale bait.  But skins are purely cosmetic.  Pay to look different, maybe, but that's not pay to win.
Mikeha