Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resurrecting Warhammer Online - General Columns

13»

Comments

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Played this emulator a bit. I enjoyed it at first, but the balancing by the developers is really bad. Last I checked my BW was just getting disrupted constantly. The worst part is, they don't care about most players opinions and say the game is "their vision" of what Warhammer should be. So it technically isn't a recreation of the original game.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    I still miss my pre-nerf Warrior Priest hammering on a door and keeping everyone around me safe from burning oil by doing pretty well only that :)

TBH, I don't even remember why I quit WAR, I have nothing but good memories of it.
    If I recall correctly it was because the end game gear was obtained by running the PvP scenarios where you siege the enemy home cities and it was broken to give gold bags to those who were in the battle the longest... so people never left the queues and eventually most were just AFK.
    I left before that became a thing. I do remember being annoyed when half your RVR army vanished whenever a scenario popped though :)
    Hope that doesn't start happening in ESO! 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    I still miss my pre-nerf Warrior Priest hammering on a door and keeping everyone around me safe from burning oil by doing pretty well only that :)

TBH, I don't even remember why I quit WAR, I have nothing but good memories of it.
    If I recall correctly it was because the end game gear was obtained by running the PvP scenarios where you siege the enemy home cities and it was broken to give gold bags to those who were in the battle the longest... so people never left the queues and eventually most were just AFK.
    I left before that became a thing. I do remember being annoyed when half your RVR army vanished whenever a scenario popped though :)
    I think Matt learned his lesson in WAR so they made ESO in a way that you can't queue for anything while in Cyrodiil RvR. - not PVE instances nor PVP scenarios.
    JamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I think Matt learned his lesson in WAR so they made ESO in a way that you can't queue for anything while in Cyrodiil RvR. - not PVE instances nor PVP scenarios.

Matt worked on WAR?
    Yeah on the early development although he left Mythic before the launch.
    GorweJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

You can queue for BGs from Cyrodiil, at least I tried it last week and I could do it.
    JamesGoblin
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

You can queue for BGs from Cyrodiil, at least I tried it last week and I could do it.
    Hmm.. Well if that's true it's new. You couldn't queue for anything from there before. Just curious, when you tried it did it successfully find a BG group for you and port you out?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Luiden said:
    Warhammer was actually a tragedy of a game.  I still to this day can't believe the same team that developed DAOC was responsible for putting this game together.  They basically ignore years.. years of lessons learned from DAOC and put out a game destined to fail. 

It's like they said.. we are going to ignore the greatest RvR/PvP game ever created and just go do our own things, come up with our own ideas and the people will love them!  So stupid.  
    I agree but I think a lot of that is in hindsight.  DAoC was an amazing game.  I am a huge Warhammer fan.  DAoC in the warhammer universe. . nice!    Yeah I was disappointed.  

I do think they were trying to improve or do something different at the least.  Looking back DAoC was amazing.  I loved it even before I got into RvR.  I left UO for it and stayed.  

There just wasn't much to compare it to at the time to suggest that it was *going* to be the best PvP experience etc.  Now we know.  I just can't think they decided to throw it all away. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Hmm.. Well if that's true it's new. You couldn't queue for anything from there before. Just curious, when you tried it did it successfully find a BG group for you and port you out?
    Yeah, I was really surprised because I didn't think it would work. I was already grouped with a friend when I queued though, not sure if that made a difference.
    JamesGoblin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    Suzie points out the key lesson for future MMO's one which was not learnt after WH, as we saw it again if to a lesser extent in the likes of SWTOR.

If you have really fun instanced battles or for that matter "sports" events, any other PvP will be questioned by players. Those who prefer PvE in particular are going to question why they are going to a siege which might take a couple of hours, when you can do another "fun" mini game.

The only solution is to divorce the rewards for such PvP from the rest of the game, be it no xp, equipment that only works in certain types of pvp and so on. If you don't separate rewards the players will only do one type of player versus player. If you don't separate PvE rewards from PvP your players will either do one or the other.
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    After all it is still Warhammer with all of its flaws. But the devs are doing a lot in making patches, fixing things and bringing new content. So far so good, the problem with this project is the behaviour of the staff. GMs, Devs, etc. They are very aggressive with the players and making it clear on a daily basis that they dont give a fuck about them. It is really that bad that it is ridiculous some times. They ban people for really minor reasons ar whenever they feel like. There are no rules at all for the staff and basically everyone does what he wants. RoR is great if you ignore the people making it, which is really a pitty.
    GorweKylerankitarad
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

ANY criticism, no matter how polite, well-meaning, and constructive, is met with insults and a ban. These devs are children on a power trip, and they've made sure to surround themselves with a community of sycophants and yes-men. If that's the kind of community they want then fine; it's their server and they can do as they damn well please. I certainly don't want any part of it though, and would urge anyone who absolutely cannot live without WAR to play the game without saying anything which could be even remotely construed as negative in chat or on the forums. In fact, you're best off not talking to anyone and pretending the forums don't exist. And if you're going to do that, well, why play an MMORPG at all?

I dunno I've been having a great time the last couple of months, I just dont have any expectations of the service because it literally costs me $0. . .
    JamesGoblin
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Thing I miss most was WAR's take on a "paladin" (aka the Warrior Priest). Finally, a game that got the class 'right'. I never really liked WoW's take, wearing heavy armor and carrying a shield. To me, a Paladin should be a mail-chain wearing, two-hand swinging, front-line healer. Not some Warrior that just happened to study some holy magic between sparring matches.

...I also miss their take on PVP. I remember looking at the maps of the tiers and going "oh sweet, at max level, when I'm done with PVE...the map is almost entirely RvR (aka PVP)!". Meanwhile, I could level in peace and quiet without fear of being ganked by those who rushed to max level and then camped the lower-level zones.

....WAR was also my first introduction to Public Events (FF14's FATEs, WoW's World Quests, RIFT's Rifts), it was such a cool concept, that usually saw the entire zone show up to partake in. Made the world seem 'alive', because you got to see familiar faces show up and everyone present wasn't 'just an npc'...they were another player.
    IselinJamesGoblin

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    MrBum21 said:
    wait, we are allowed to talk about fan run emulated servers now?  that is how I got my avatar.
    Only if the official servers have been shut down, (WAR, SWG), or the IP owners have given permission for the emu server (Project 1999)

There is/was one exception, a set of vanilla servers that Blizzard officially conversed with for a time with Etherium (?) being that last name as I recall.

I asked Bill for permission to openly discuss the relaunched DAOC free shard in January of 2017 and he replied "we'll see" but he never came back on it so I don't mention it by name directly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RoRiiRoRii Member CommonPosts: 1
    So, RoR devs… You might think the negative stuff is just hyperbole. It's really not. And it's worse than reported by any Source; a big part of the drama isn't even public. The abuse is just as bad on the inside of the team. Most of the guys and gals that actually wrote their source/DB are long gone, and most of these breaks were not at all on friendly terms. Most of this boils down to a single individual in the team. Meanwhile the guy that pays for the server is unable to act, as he believes this one individual to be the only person able to implement client patches. Doesn't help that this one individual is actively holding this knowledge hostage internally while new recruitment to fill his position won't happen because, well, Yaliskah is too afraid to call the bluff.

The people that gained control of the server and are actively abusing their own playerbase and staff are not the people that made that resurrected the game. What is left is mostly the least capable portion of the staff, the ones that love their artificial power too much to leave and the ones that carry out the abuse, while not being able to implement any sound content as the knowledge to so do simply lacks in the current rostet. Not to mention that balance was also hijacked by said individual, and his intentions are more malicious than anything else even here.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I played War live to RR 93 (Gatlin ) my statue stood in Altdorf for 9 months at one point .. That being said ive played on RoR server for 2 1/2 years now , and its a great time , these guys have the game in better shape than EA did at close ( altho Shaman are OP) They have the LAkes and Keep battles a much better experience .. The only people ive seen get jammed up with the staff were people acting like fools in game or on the forums ,,
    JamesGoblin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    t0nyd said:
    I miss this game. The low level PVP was fun. Had a black orc names kruunk and a shaman named kraank, kept em in t1 PVP. Had an engineer in t3, and a myriad of others in t2. My only gripe was spammable ranged attacks by every class is kind of odd.

Warhammer has a nice theme. Chaos has such a cool look.
    http://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php

[Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    edited January 2019
    I played this game even though it was PvP mainly. I did the battlegrounds and I played a healing mage like class an elf I think. I really enjoyed the BGs but it killed the open world PvP sadly. The PvE was shit but the PvE in DAoC was shit too so no surprise there. Smartest thing Jacobs did is not to have PvE in Camelot Unchained because the team is completely crap at it.

I recall when I played Dark Age of Camelot for the first time and mind you I'm a PvE player, I was truly disappointed that a game that had come later than Everquest and had better graphics could not produce a world that had half the allure Everquest still had. It was dead and lacked the feeling that you were actually in a world. The RvR was excellent I don't have to say that as many veterans of Dark Age will tell you but the world was never alive.
    Post edited by kitarad on