Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SBS is no longer using SpatialOS (simplified version)

13»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Rhoklaw said:
    CoE threads are much better than SC threads now.

For entertainment purposes that is.
    You are welcome
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    These "devs" are incompetent amateurs.

That's the reason.

I just wanted to point out that I questioned the viability of making a MUD in this thread (and there were others) and now they cancelled it. It was about as useful making a MUD as it would have been to get a pencil and paper and write stuff down. All you can do with a MUD is text. Hell even the VoxElyria thing was cancelled. Really shows you they have no idea WTF they are doing.

When this "game" launches there is going to be a river of salt.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    there were several reasons, but this final one was the tipping point:

here is what SpatialOS was doing/providing:

here is how SBS is now doing things:

i think we all agree this was a very key change/decision in not going with SpatialOS 

the reasons have been explained clearly

the solution has been explained clearly

that folks are skeptical about it is normal - usual glass half-full/half-empty social dynamics where neither side will ever "convince" the other  

what is amusing though is that many of those skeptical about SBS no longer using SpatialOS, were questioning SBS teaming up with SpatialOS in the first place and that it was a negative thing- now that SBS have dropped SpatialOS and come up with an alternative solution, the very same people are saying 'this is a negative thing'

SpatialOS was for sure one of the key foundations of the concept of devopment

the need to partner with SpatialOS has now been replaced with an explanation (read the actual post for more in depth details) and which programs etc they are going to use

since these are pre-existing programs they don't have to spend a lot of time writing code etc - will it delay the game some? - not sure - VoxElyria is still slated for April of this year - we shall have to see

@dleatherus ;
    How did this age?
    Dakeru

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018