Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SBS is no longer using SpatialOS (simplified version)

2»

Comments

  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I love how clueless nitwits from the COE forum keep coming up posting bullet lists of middleware solutions that Caspian provided them as proof of a working solution. As if saying they are going to use Node.js and Docker means anything more than they can google for "popular middleware applications which will impress my naive MMORPG customers".

    Node.js is just a backend server which happens to excel at long polling.
    Docker is just a containerization platform.
    etc.

    Saying you are using them doesn't mean anything, they aren't intrinsically pluggable. 

    You still have to do a bunch of shit to make anything of it, and unfortunately all that shit they have to do is stuff that SpacialOS was going to have done already for them.

    - - -

    HEY GOUYS! I'm going to build a house! We were going to have this contractor do it, but they cost too much money. But hey, don't worry. I am going to use rebar, and steel reinforced scaffolding, and pressure treated lumber, and galvanized steel nails. I've never built a house before, but no worries this will be easy.
    cjmarshNildenYashaXkrulerSpottyGekkoAsm0deuscraftseekerKyleranGdemami
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    MaxBacon said:
    Going with a self-created solution for one MMO backend, may Gaming God have mercy on those poor souls.
    I don't think they're self-created reading through the list. It looks like they're just using different solutions for different needs rather than betting the farm on an all-in-one.
    The problem is the "all-in-one" solution was the heart of their game. As a former backer disenchanted by the decisions of the development team already, this comes as no surprise to me. Despite the enormous amount of work this will add to their already enormous (and severely underestimated) amount of work, it seems that the development team is going to try to roll their own version of this complicated software in a way that will end up delaying the game even further and possibly forever. They already bit off more than they could chew and now they're biting off even more in the classic indie developer mistake of all time: "let's create our own MMO from scratch!".
    TorvalGdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,725
    cjmarsh said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Going with a self-created solution for one MMO backend, may Gaming God have mercy on those poor souls.
    I don't think they're self-created reading through the list. It looks like they're just using different solutions for different needs rather than betting the farm on an all-in-one.
    The problem is the "all-in-one" solution was the heart of their game. As a former backer disenchanted by the decisions of the development team already, this comes as no surprise to me. Despite the enormous amount of work this will add to their already enormous (and severely underestimated) amount of work, it seems that the development team is going to try to roll their own version of this complicated software in a way that will end up delaying the game even further and possibly forever. They already bit off more than they could chew and now they're biting off even more in the classic indie developer mistake of all time: "let's create our own MMO from scratch!".
    The PiedPiper is real!

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,679
    genaknosc said:
    I love how clueless nitwits from the COE forum keep coming up posting bullet lists of middleware solutions that Caspian provided them as proof of a working solution. As if saying they are going to use Node.js and Docker means anything more than they can google for "popular middleware applications which will impress my naive MMORPG customers".

    Node.js is just a backend server which happens to excel at long polling.
    Docker is just a containerization platform.
    etc.

    Saying you are using them doesn't mean anything, they aren't intrinsically pluggable. 

    You still have to do a bunch of shit to make anything of it, and unfortunately all that shit they have to do is stuff that SpacialOS was going to have done already for them.

    - - -

    HEY GOUYS! I'm going to build a house! We were going to have this contractor do it, but they cost too much money. But hey, don't worry. I am going to use rebar, and steel reinforced scaffolding, and pressure treated lumber, and galvanized steel nails. I've never built a house before, but no worries this will be easy.
    Image result for crappy shack
    cjmarshgenaknosckrulerOctagon7711SpottyGekkoAsm0deus

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • WellspringWellspring Member RarePosts: 1,137
    Have we considered this topic from a legal standpoint?

    For over a year SBS was able to see exactly how SpatialOS worked, which I assume is privileged information and NDAs were signed.

    Now after concluding that SpatialOS is too expensive, SBS is just going to use (read: steal) all that knowledge and build it themselves for free? How is that not going to result in a lawsuit once/if CoE is profitable?
    Octagon7711Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,736
    Have we considered this topic from a legal standpoint?

    For over a year SBS was able to see exactly how SpatialOS worked, which I assume is privileged information and NDAs were signed.

    Now after concluding that SpatialOS is too expensive, SBS is just going to use (read: steal) all that knowledge and build it themselves for free? How is that not going to result in a lawsuit once/if CoE is profitable?
    I don't think Improbable is too worried about SBS reverse-engineering their product, lol

    We're talking about a company that's raised over $502M in funding. They'll squash SBS like a bug...
    Slapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,725
    Have we considered this topic from a legal standpoint?

    For over a year SBS was able to see exactly how SpatialOS worked, which I assume is privileged information and NDAs were signed.

    Now after concluding that SpatialOS is too expensive, SBS is just going to use (read: steal) all that knowledge and build it themselves for free? How is that not going to result in a lawsuit once/if CoE is profitable?
    Anyone who honestly believed they could do this was just foolish.  They couldn’t even deliver a mud... err... VoxElyria...
    So far after all this money and time all we’ve gotten is Links of Elyria.
    Gdemami

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,552
    As I stated previously in this thread. The reason they gave for dropping SpacialOS is total BS.
    The JSSDK was depreciated. But it had always been listed as experimental. Meaning that SBS was basing their entire presentation of SpacialOS on the basis of experimental software? That's insane! I can't even believe even at the height of incompetence that someone isn't going to question the viability of this entire project in using that. Which means, it was a lie from the start. So, the real quesiton is..........Was SpacialOS ever really in the picture?
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,725
    As I stated previously in this thread. The reason they gave for dropping SpacialOS is total BS.
    The JSSDK was depreciated. But it had always been listed as experimental. Meaning that SBS was basing their entire presentation of SpacialOS on the basis of experimental software? That's insane! I can't even believe even at the height of incompetence that someone isn't going to question the viability of this entire project in using that. Which means, it was a lie from the start. So, the real quesiton is..........Was SpacialOS ever really in the picture?
    In general, I honestly believe that Caspien does not try to scam anyone.  I think overall he genuinely believes what he says when he says it.  He just is missing that "adult in the room" to keep him at least lightly tethered to reality.
    GeezerGamerGdemami

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,385
    I don't understand what this thread is supposed to do.  It isn't convincing anyone that the dev team is not incompetent.....
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 1,866
    I think the real question is ‘What would Ghettomaster do?’

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 31,071
    lahnmir said:
    I think the real question is ‘What would Ghettomaster do?’

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Donate another 20 grand of course.
    Wellspring

    "I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 279
    genaknosc said:


    Node.js is just a backend server which happens to excel at long polling.

    Except this part. Not sure where you got this info. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,552
    As I stated previously in this thread. The reason they gave for dropping SpacialOS is total BS.
    The JSSDK was depreciated. But it had always been listed as experimental. Meaning that SBS was basing their entire presentation of SpacialOS on the basis of experimental software? That's insane! I can't even believe even at the height of incompetence that someone isn't going to question the viability of this entire project in using that. Which means, it was a lie from the start. So, the real quesiton is..........Was SpacialOS ever really in the picture?
    In general, I honestly believe that Caspien does not try to scam anyone.  I think overall he genuinely believes what he says when he says it.  He just is missing that "adult in the room" to keep him at least lightly tethered to reality.
    If what you are saying is true, I'll repeat myself.
    "That's insane!"
    But I think your reference to being disconnected from reality will suffice.
Sign In or Register to comment.