Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SBS is no longer using SpatialOS (simplified version)

2»

Comments

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 109
    I love how clueless nitwits from the COE forum keep coming up posting bullet lists of middleware solutions that Caspian provided them as proof of a working solution. As if saying they are going to use Node.js and Docker means anything more than they can google for "popular middleware applications which will impress my naive MMORPG customers".

Node.js is just a backend server which happens to excel at long polling.
    Docker is just a containerization platform.
    etc.

Saying you are using them doesn't mean anything, they aren't intrinsically pluggable. 

You still have to do a bunch of shit to make anything of it, and unfortunately all that shit they have to do is stuff that SpacialOS was going to have done already for them.

- - -

HEY GOUYS! I'm going to build a house! We were going to have this contractor do it, but they cost too much money. But hey, don't worry. I am going to use rebar, and steel reinforced scaffolding, and pressure treated lumber, and galvanized steel nails. I've never built a house before, but no worries this will be easy.
    cjmarshNildenYashaXkruler
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    MaxBacon said:
    Going with a self-created solution for one MMO backend, may Gaming God have mercy on those poor souls.
    I don't think they're self-created reading through the list. It looks like they're just using different solutions for different needs rather than betting the farm on an all-in-one.
    The problem is the "all-in-one" solution was the heart of their game. As a former backer disenchanted by the decisions of the development team already, this comes as no surprise to me. Despite the enormous amount of work this will add to their already enormous (and severely underestimated) amount of work, it seems that the development team is going to try to roll their own version of this complicated software in a way that will end up delaying the game even further and possibly forever. They already bit off more than they could chew and now they're biting off even more in the classic indie developer mistake of all time: "let's create our own MMO from scratch!".
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,286
    cjmarsh said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Going with a self-created solution for one MMO backend, may Gaming God have mercy on those poor souls.
    I don't think they're self-created reading through the list. It looks like they're just using different solutions for different needs rather than betting the farm on an all-in-one.
    The problem is the "all-in-one" solution was the heart of their game. As a former backer disenchanted by the decisions of the development team already, this comes as no surprise to me. Despite the enormous amount of work this will add to their already enormous (and severely underestimated) amount of work, it seems that the development team is going to try to roll their own version of this complicated software in a way that will end up delaying the game even further and possibly forever. They already bit off more than they could chew and now they're biting off even more in the classic indie developer mistake of all time: "let's create our own MMO from scratch!".
    The PiedPiper is real!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,618
    genaknosc said:
    I love how clueless nitwits from the COE forum keep coming up posting bullet lists of middleware solutions that Caspian provided them as proof of a working solution. As if saying they are going to use Node.js and Docker means anything more than they can google for "popular middleware applications which will impress my naive MMORPG customers".

Node.js is just a backend server which happens to excel at long polling.
    Docker is just a containerization platform.
    etc.

Saying you are using them doesn't mean anything, they aren't intrinsically pluggable. 

You still have to do a bunch of shit to make anything of it, and unfortunately all that shit they have to do is stuff that SpacialOS was going to have done already for them.

- - -

HEY GOUYS! I'm going to build a house! We were going to have this contractor do it, but they cost too much money. But hey, don't worry. I am going to use rebar, and steel reinforced scaffolding, and pressure treated lumber, and galvanized steel nails. I've never built a house before, but no worries this will be easy.
    Image result for crappy shack
    cjmarshgenaknosckruler

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer