Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you chase graphics cards?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,320
edited January 2018 in Hardware
There are frequently articles about the latest amd or Nvidia graphics cards.  Usually with an associated amd vs. Intel discussion. (Which seems a waste ..... Go Nvidia

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

Post edited by mgilbrtsn on

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,514
    I tend to hang on to my last purchase until it dies a natural death or it's so old that it can't keep up with the games I like.  Even then I will still use it on an older computer or save it for an emergency.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,422
    What does the title mean?

I looked up definitions of word "chase" from google, and I still don't understand how one could chase a graphic card.
    dave6660eddieg50

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,952
    Nope. I have a mediocre oem GTX970 and before that my main rig was a GTX260. The 260 was such an amazing card that could gracefully handle stuff it wasn't rated for. I'd put that card in the top 5 or 10 best card models ever.

The 970 has disappointed a bit, not much because it still handles 1080p at 60 frames fairly well, but for an Nvidia x70 series it didn't live up.

I only upgrade when hardware bottlenecks and can't handle the load or it dies or I'm unhappy with its performance. The latter outweighs all. I try and build systems that are balanced so most of it ages similarly. I'm not happy with the 970 so it might see an upgrade or I might build a new system and pass this down. The jury is still out.

MrMelGibsonjoeyboots
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,355
    I tend to buy one step below whatever is the best laptop card is at the time of purchase and upgrade only when replacing the laptop. (Every 3 yrs or so)
    MrMelGibsonjoeyboots

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,838
    I just recently got a new PC with a 1080ti. However, I do not change very often. Probably once in 5 years...basically when the PC turns into a potato :)
    MrMelGibsonjoeyboots
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,610
    edited January 2018
    Vrika said:

I looked up definitions of word "chase" from google, and I still don't understand how one could chase a graphic card.
    It would be an expression.

Most likely meant as "do you buy the latest and greatest graphics card".

I wait a bit but as soon as I start seeing issues with the games I play I upgrade.

I'm no longer satisfied with equipment that doesn't give me the results I want.

TorvalVrika
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

Thanks. I'd never heard that expression before.
    Torval

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,610
    Vrika said:
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

It's probably mostly used in the context of "chase your dreams" or "chase the rainbow" or "Chase the wind".
    MrMelGibson
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I am not exactly a chaser of the latest and greatest, but I like to be able to comfortably play games on PC for a long period of time.  Part of that is having games run steady without lag at 60fps.  

I have a 4K TV hooked up to my PC so it needs a lot of power to hit 60 FPS even with medium to high settings.  Depending on your 4K TV or monitor the scaling of resolutions may not be great.  For instance, on my TV scaling 1080p to 4K results in a blurry image that can cause eye strain.

Needless to say, I recently bought a pretty powerful GPU.  I tend to go for mid-range cards and if you have a 1080p TV or monitor you might get away with a GTX 1060 or 1070 to play games with mid to maxed out settings at 60 FPS or higher. 

It's always nice if you can get some power efficiency out of your graphics card and CPU as it will reduce the heat generation and noise.  The recent generation of CPUs and GPUs seem to be getting better in this regard.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I have a simple guideline to buying new GPU's. Once i can longer hit a 55-60 or greater FPS Average I upgrade.  Currently i have a 980 ti which should last me quite a awhile.
    Torval
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,309
    edited January 2018
    My 980 ti will still last a few years I think.

TorvalEponyxDamorMrMelGibsonJeffSpicoli
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,190
    Nope i usually do a full rig upgrade ever 3-5 years if i come in to money (like a tax return or other) but then again i work minimum wage so spending the cost of a decent gaming computer on a GFX card is simply.. well.. impossible
    TorvalMrMelGibson

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 7,223
    No it just depends on what I can buy at the time I upgrade the whole machine.
    TorvalMrMelGibson
    Martens: "With all due respect, madam, where are you going with this?"
    Avasarala: "Wherever I goddamn like."
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Its super situational for me. I recently upgraded to a very modern model because of Ark, but it is the first modern card I've bought in a decade. All depends on the gaming landscape at the time.

I even raided WoW from Vanilla through WotLK with a mediocre card. The pain...
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,320
    Vrika said:

Perhaps you should look up the word 'colloquialism.'  Might help with your dilemma.
    Velifax

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,096
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There are frequently articles about the latest amd or Intel graphics cards.  Usually with an associated amd vs. Intel discussion. (Which seems a waste ..... Go Intel
    Here's a review of the latest Intel graphics card:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/202

Note the date:  1998.  Not this millennium, even.  So no, I sure hope people aren't still chasing Intel graphics cards.
    Clutch586mgilbrtsnRich84
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vrika said:

Perhaps you should look up the word 'colloquialism.'  Might help with your dilemma.
    Thanks, but Sovrath explained it well enough already.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 733
    I upgrade every 3-5 years when I get a new PC, so certainly not. I currently have a 980ti, however, I originally had a 980 SC; unfortunately, there was a terrible issue with EVGA's 980 OCs voltage, and I ended up upgrading to the 980ti after going through about 6 RMAs.

Typically, I buy one step down from the "top end" GPU, and I rarely, if ever, upgrade between building new PCs.

I don't see myself upgrading any time soon, either; I don't plan to play in 4K anytime soon, but when I do, that's when I will be upgrading. Currently, it would cost an arm and a leg to replace 2-3 screens with 4K screens and also upgrade GPUs to use them. Just not worth the investment for me, yet.
    TorvalMrMelGibson
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,320
    I upgrade every 3-5 years when I get a new PC, so certainly not. I currently have a 980ti, however, I originally had a 980 SC; unfortunately, there was a terrible issue with EVGA's 980 OCs voltage, and I ended up upgrading to the 980ti after going through about 6 RMAs.

Typically, I buy one step down from the "top end" GPU, and I rarely, if ever, upgrade between building new PCs.

I don't see myself upgrading any time soon, either; I don't plan to play in 4K anytime soon, but when I do, that's when I will be upgrading. Currently, it would cost an arm and a leg to replace 2-3 screens with 4K screens and also upgrade GPUs to use them. Just not worth the investment for me, yet.
    I might think on upgrading when I jump into 4k or VR, but that might be some time yet.  When I see the card reviews, I get a twitch, but I don't usually bite.  Thank God, cause they are always so expensive when they first come out.
    MrMelGibsonEponyxDamor

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,060
    edited January 2018
    I typically do every 2 or 3 generations. There needs to be enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase.

There have been a few occasions where I've broke that rule, if a big jump in tech comes about, if I break a card and need to replace it, or if I'm building a new rig and want to keep my old one intact.

I don't know of anyone who's ever chased Intel video cards, but that's an interesting proposition.
    MrMelGibsonTorvalEponyxDamorAsm0deus
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,224
    I upgrade when I detect the need for upgrading from noticing the need in real world use, for example I upgrade my gpu when I notice it struggling to play a game med or max setting at 1080p, since I play on big screen tv.

Of the 3 pc's in the house one has a gtx1060 and the other two have a gtx 760.  Not in a hurry for now to upgrade the 760's as they work fine for what we do and the games we play.  The 1060 replaces a 5770 which wasn't up to par anymore.

MrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Are you sure you don't mean AMD vs Nvidia?
    mgilbrtsn
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Vrika said:

In some cases if you use the opposite word, it helps to understand.

For example, some people chase video cards while others escape video cards.

I have a few escape survivor stories with video cards.
    QuizzicalRidelynn

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,124
    edited January 2018
    Personally I usually just use the Computer I build until it gets too outdated to work good anymore at which point I pass it off to friends / family and buy a new one, as far as graphics cards generally I use NVIDIA, because AMD always have issues with Open GL Games, although most casual gamers may not notice the difference in most games like Battle FIeld 1, for example or like League OF Legends generally modern day games use Direct X, but AMD Cards have sharder issues with certain games, in addition to games I ran with AMD Cards in general did not perform so well this was a card from years ago though that should have done better but didn't work so well so I gave it away free only used it for 5 months if that.

When I changed to NVIDIA card, it was able to perform a lot better it got calculations using older technology in certain older games correctly didn't have shader problems, I can now run PlanetSide 2 max graphics at 100+ FPS with a single 1080ti it's awesome.

Over-All I would recommend NVIDIA over AMD graphics cards until I see proof somewhere not based off what I read I want hands-on proof that AMD is better than NVIDIA or can perform about the same before I waste money on another AMD card only way I will ever buy or use another AMD card because my experience with them has always been bad.

Intel VS AMD, I used to use an AMD CPU for years the performance got really slow over-all I found that just running an I7 rather than an AM3 or AM2 socket gives me a lot better performance in games, now a lot of people tell me AMD Ryzen Threadripper is just as good because it has more cores, well I would love to get my hands on one for free just to test it running 4-5 games at once like I do such as running 3 copies of EVE, an Open GL Game & like Battlefield 1 or Black desert, while hitting 100+ FPS in my primary game with all that open.

If a Ryzen CPU, along with other hardware could pull this off then I would recommend it for sure, although personally I would rather buy an I9 CPU and spend an extra $800 for the better performance, because I have a feeling that Intel processes older code, calculations better than AMD based CPU even thread ripper.

Of course I can't know for certain without testing a Ryzen System myself not something I read online, not those benchmarks people brag about, but as far as right now I am using a i7-6700k and I am happy with it I am able to run 5+ Games at once don't go over around 19GB of memory for most games and I got 32 in this thing, the only thing I am unhappy about is the I7 security patch by microsoft completely bricked my system the other day, because it disabled the liquid pumps and fan controllers on the main board required removal of the update for them to function like they are supposed to hopefully ASUS has a fix for this shortly, but what pisses me off is how Intel knew about this security exploit for over 5+ Years they never told anyone they should be legally held accountable for damages (If the security update) bricks computers due to their ignorance.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,697
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

It's probably mostly used in the context of "chase your dreams" or "chase the rainbow" or "Chase the wind".
    Chasing after young girls is the only I have ever heard. People are mean! :(
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.