Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria - Anyone hyped?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Is anyone getting excited for this yet?  Anyone played it in its most recent form?  I guess that beta and Steam early access are coming within the next few months.  I hope Steam access raises peoples' awareness of this game.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Extremely ambitious, terribly underfunded, mixed reviews so far from those who've played it, some call it the closest thing to UO in recent years, and others say not even close.

Changed it's name from Shards of Aria as I recall, for reasons I no longer remember.

I'd be interested in learning how many players can be in a "world", as there will be official servers and player run shards that can be connected together.

Very transparent on their their timelines, a big plus in my book and planning for a Steam EA later this year. 

I'll be watching it's progress, but seems likely it will go the route of Albion Online.
    PhryManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm looking forward to it, played it several times and it scratched that itch. 
    Tokken[Deleted User]
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited January 2018
    Is anyone getting excited for this yet?  Anyone played it in its most recent form?  I guess that beta and Steam early access are coming within the next few months.  I hope Steam access raises peoples' awareness of this game.
    Backed it when it was Shards Online. It never really clicked for me so I pretty much abandoned it early last year. Checked it out once right after they re-branded it as Legends of Aria. Was not impressed.

Albion Online is a better game, even though they both suffer from some of the same issues.

Got myself hooked on Wild Terra and I'm having fun. Not sure if it will last though. But NO magic!!! So tired of mages in MMOs.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh man, if it's like Albion Online, I'll probably hate it.  I found that game to be completely devoid of soul.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Backed it when it was Shards Online. It never really clicked for me so I pretty much abandoned it early last year. Checked it out once right after they re-branded it as Legends of Aria. Was not impressed.

Albion Online is a better game, even though they both suffer from some of the same issues.

Got myself hooked on Wild Terra and I'm having fun. Not sure if it will last though. But NO magic!!! So tired of mages in MMOs.
    Agreed.  Nothing about Legends of Aria piques my interest over what Albion already offers.  In fact Albion is far more polished and has much more well-functioning systems.  

Aria promises to deliver on some of what you get with Albion in the realm of skill-based progression but honestly nothing else about it sounds new or different or interesting from a gameplay perspective.  

In fact their whole schtick is player-run servers of an already niche title.  

My guess?  DoA.
    postlarval
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Agreed.  Nothing about Legends of Aria piques my interest over what Albion already offers.  In fact Albion is far more polished and has much more well-functioning systems.  

Aria promises to deliver on some of what you get with Albion in the realm of skill-based progression but honestly nothing else about it sounds new or different or interesting from a gameplay perspective.  

My guess?  DoA.
    You reminded me of this:

Morbid, but a great song from my high-school stoner days. ;-)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

My guess?  DoA.
    You reminded me of this:

Morbid, but a great song from my high-school stoner days. ;-)
    Can't believe you found that, thought I was the only person on the planet who remembered that song.

;)
    postlarval

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2018
    I've played both this game and Albion Online, and didn't really find much similarity between the two. Albion was completely tile map based and tiered. Gear is tiered, mounts are tiered.

Legend of Aria is open world similar to UO, without loading zones and no tiles. It didn't feel tiered either, as mobs aren't tiered like Albion (Zone 1 has level 1 mobs, Zone 2 has level 1 and 2 mobs, etc.) Albion has an instance player housing zone, Legend of Aria has open world housing. Albion dungeons are corridorish instanced maps, Aria is not, other players are in the same dungeon you are in.

Albion is auction house, Aria is player vendors at non-instanced house. Items in Aria are actual items, such as you can drop the item on the ground and there it is. Aria felt much more sand-boxish, also where leveling skills is usage based percentage gain chance, not kill x number of mobs based as in Albion. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    I've played both this game and Albion Online, and didn't really find much similarity between the two. Albion was completely tile map based and tiered. Gear is tiered, mounts are tiered.

Legend of Aria is open world similar to UO, without loading zones and no tiles. It didn't feel tiered either, as mobs aren't tiered like Albion (Zone 1 has level 1 mobs, Zone 2 has level 1 and 2 mobs, etc.) Albion has an instance player housing zone, Legend of Aria has open world housing. Albion dungeons are corridorish instanced maps, Aria is not, other players are in the same dungeon you are in.

Albion is auction house, Aria is player vendors at non-instanced house. Items in Aria are actual items, such as you can drop the item on the ground and there it is. Aria felt much more sand-boxish, also where leveling skills is usage based percentage gain chance, not kill x number of mobs based as in Albion. 

The tier system part is true, but honestly it's just the same thing organized.  Aria still has definite noob and definite high tier zones, just different labels.

Aria definitely has zones, albeit fewer.

Albion has expeditions which are more akin to newer games, but also has open world dungeons with FFA PvP.

Albion has player-run merchants for crafting and the auction houses are per city, not global.

When you die in albion in the red and black zones you drop your gear.

Skills per gear is true though.

Sounds like you played about 10 minutes of Albion, try again.

I will say that Aria is more sandboxy but it also has ZERO of the guild PvP systems like territory control, etc that Albion does. 

So, ultimately Aria is only slightly more sandboxy and has less features/content/systems.
    postlarvalKyleran

If I am not mistaken, you also cannot buy ingame items for real cash in Legends, while in Albion, you can buy pretty much anything for real cash...weapons, armors, mounts,...

I am not a big fan of that.

You can buy gold which can be converted to silver, so basically yes.  It's a big difference from buying it from a cash shop in terms of the game economy though because someone made/farmed that silver.

I can understand not liking that.

Honestly though, anyone who whales in a game where all the best stuff is in FFA PVP zones and it drops when you die is just silly.  Eventually they will get killed and lose it all.
    edited January 2018
    Played Albion for a few months during pre-release and only about a month after release. Couldn't really get into it. Aria just feels more similar to UO to me. I'm a sucker for non-instanced housing. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Do you guys think things will take off once this hits Steam?  Or is it just another title that will die from lack of interest?