Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VRChat is a MMORPG? Is it the future of MMORPG?

blinky13blinky13 Member UncommonPosts: 2
If you follow virtual reality you will probably know that VRChat is hugely popular (for a VR game).  It can be said that VRChat is in fact a massively multiplayer online game and a successful one.

The game itself is terrible, as any game that is infested with 95% teenage boys dressed up as lolis will be, but the concept is pretty cool and explores how MMORPG interaction could take place in the near future.  

I for one am looking forward to more fleshed out VR MMORPGs and think it will reinvigorate the MMORPG game industry.  The forgotten magical feeling of being in a new world will come back for us all through VR I am sure of it!

So do you agree that VRChat is a MMORPG?
VRChat is a MMORPG? Is it the future of MMORPG?
  1. Is VRChat a MMORPG that should be added to the MMORPG Game List?25 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%

Comments

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    One of these things is not like the other...
    SBFord
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    God no....All VRchat is teenagers and old perverted men getting on there and trying to get virtual laid....LMAO.....Please god no....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • blinky13blinky13 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    It checks all of the boxes.

Massively multiplayer:  Check

Role Playing:  Check

Game:  Check

Just because it is not played on a 24" monitor does not mean it isn't a MMORPG.
    PhryGobstopper3D
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    edited December 2017
    blinky13 said:

Game:  Check

Its not a game....Its a Meet joint like Second life.....Theres no End game...Theres no Objective.....Not a game
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's not an MMORPG because it's not game enough. There's too much virtual playground and too little game to qualify.
    Quizar1973Kyleranmonochrome19

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Agree, not a MMORPG, but certainly a virtual world much like Second Life.

Here's a link if you are like me who is hearing of this for the first time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/12/22/16805452/vrchat-steam-vive-oculus-twitch-youtube

Ridelynn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I said no but i guess i am wrong,in reality it is a sort of mmorpg just a real cheap one as most games coming out now all look like $100 weekend warrior game designers.
    Not sure the purpose of or importance of needing to label a bad game is a bad game.

As to popularity,well for one i never heard of it so had to look on Steam and two,it sure seems like ANYTHING can be popular now a days,people just like to be different and jump on some obscure bandwagon.
    Gobstopper3D

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2017
    blinky13 said:

Game:  Check

You almost got it right. It is a MMO, being massively multiplayer and online, but not really much of a "game" unless one really stretches the hell out of the definition of that word.

As the article I linked above, its closer to an online COSplay convention more than anything else.

Its no where near the definition of a MMORPG though many seem to have forgotten what those entail.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I just saw this game and rushed here to make a post. I agree with what has been said already but I would like to ask more questions because this game has made me really excited about the future of vr and gaming. My question are:

1. Do you think VRMMORPGs will ever be popular?
    I don't mean unrealistic anime games like .hack, SAO, Log Horizon, etc ... I mean putting on a headset and playing a game through first person like PSVR or Oculus. Can games experienced like VRChat ever be as popular as WoW (or whatever MMO you prefer).

2. How do you remedy the lack of physical immersion?
    The major problem I see with VR is that its not physically immersive. The player is left with two options: perform all the actions their character does or use a controller. In the first case, it creates a huge barrier to entry because most people arent going to run and jump around their house. Otherwise, the player would have to use a controller and I feel like this defeats the purpose of VR and makes it less impactful and immersive.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Vrika said:
    It's not an MMORPG because it's not game enough. There's too much virtual playground and too little game to qualify.

Sandbox? >:)
    Ridelynn
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    It's looks like a second life title. Ugh. No thanks!
  • noll1ngtonnoll1ngton Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Majority of the games classed as mmorpg are infact not mmorpgs or even rpgs or mmo's but sadly actual mmorpgs have become terrible cash shop turdfests and the general gaming community have become entitled asshats who demand to get everything as fast as possible and then bitch about how bad the game was. 
    So we get lists og non mmrpgs filling the content on sites like this and alot of stupid top 10 lists of mmorpgs.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This is ringing all kinds of alarm bells after I watched some of the youtube videos.  
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited January 2018
    Is this an alt account of Naru ? :p

Where is he? It's New Year and we have not had anyone to tell us all what MMOs really are!

As for the game it seems a Second Life with awful graphics for VR owners. Apparently you get a headache when using a VR set for a couple of hours, so there is your excuse for getting out anything creepy "I've got a headache.". :)

Post edited by Scot on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I had to check it out to see for myself,i was like ...sigh sad reason for a game.

What i saw? Some chick literally YELLING non stop,telling people what to do,it seems more like a hangout for people who want to be heard or seen in a more life like setting but with no gaming purpose,just to be heard.
    If i could describe what it is really like,sort of like a forum with live characters or like IRL in Twitch, it is not gaming at all.

Oh yeah then another channel some dude is literally hysterical all excited because he can stand there and wave his arms around and move stupid like in front of some DJ/speakers.So yeah this is no gaming,it is a place to act stupid if you ask me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'd never heard of it, so did a little research. 

Couldn't find anything about player caps, so no idea if it is genuinely an MMO or not. My guess is not, given it's heavy use of instancing / player created worlds. 

Is it a game? Such a weird question to ask! Yet I can't decide! I see references to capture the flag, and some sort of disc battles, yet couldn't actually see anyone actually playing the game, just hanging out in a virtual space. 

Is it an RPG? The software itself doesn't seem to support "roles" or playing those roles with the game, so I would say no. 

Overall, it looks like garbage. It's an interesting experiment so I'm glad someone has made it, we need people experimenting with VR if we are to ever get a VR game worth playing. This isn't it, and I still don't think we'll ever get there, but we need these experiments to happen. 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    MMORPG?  no

MMO-chat - maybe.  I don't know the limitations