Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpace News Article - Mark Hamill Regrets The Last Jedi Criticism

TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,375
Interesting news article and discussion in the comments. What do you think?

I like @SBFord 's comments about our sound-bite culture and context. I also like the point that our perspectives change over time and we experience new things.

https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/mark-hamill-last-jedi/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 3,495
    edited December 2017
    Does he regret it or does his lawyers because the movie studio doesnt want to lose ticket sales? I regret wasting money on theater ticket for the last jedi, I just rewatched Rogue One and regret it even more. I really liked Rogue One couldnt stand TLJ.
    Post edited by Asheram on
    Kootur
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember EpicPosts: 5,513
    edited December 2017
    Asheram said:
    Does he regret it or does his lawyers because the movie studio doesnt want to lose ticket sales? I regret wasting money on theater ticket for the last jedi, I just rewatched Rogue One and regret it even more. I really liked Rogue One couldnt stand TLJ.
    The fact is, supposedly, ESB had kinda the same reception back when. Stuckmann mentioned it. But the fact that ESB is a MUCH BETTER movie than TLJ and that RoJ was there to save it...let's wait for ep IX and see what's what. Maybe it'll rejuvenate TLJ kinda like RoJ did for ESB? Be as it may, I prefer both TFA and, especially, R1 over TLJ. TLJ is just such a disaster(right now, I'm open for possibilities).
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • KooturKootur Lynchburg, VAMember UncommonPosts: 308
    Torval said:

I like @SBFord 's comments about our sound-bite culture and context. I also like the point that our perspectives change over time and we experience new things.

They got to him.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 715
    Search youtube on " Sad Mark Hamill - Star Wars: The Last Jedi Reaction" . I feels sad for him after watching that video. 
    TorvalKootur

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 2,125
    Torval said:

To be honest, it is very rare that I bother listening to interviews with actors about movies. It's all just grip-and-grin PR bullshit, it's so rare that you get any additional insight into the movie or the actors. 

So, I'd missed Mark's comments. They seem pretty innocent to me - he had an issue with the creative direction of his character. That's fine, as he said, that's very common with any collaborative creative endeavour. 

I'm not quite sure how his comments translate into support for the anti-sjw movement. That seems a big stretch. I'd personally consider it support for the shit story / writing for The Last Jedi, it also makes me think more highly of Mark Hamill as now I know he stood up and made his feeling known during production, rather than just going with the flow. 
    Torval
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,375
    Torval said:

To be honest, it is very rare that I bother listening to interviews with actors about movies. It's all just grip-and-grin PR bullshit, it's so rare that you get any additional insight into the movie or the actors. 

So, I'd missed Mark's comments. They seem pretty innocent to me - he had an issue with the creative direction of his character. That's fine, as he said, that's very common with any collaborative creative endeavour. 

I'm not quite sure how his comments translate into support for the anti-sjw movement. That seems a big stretch. I'd personally consider it support for the shit story / writing for The Last Jedi, it also makes me think more highly of Mark Hamill as now I know he stood up and made his feeling known during production, rather than just going with the flow. 
    I don't pay very close attention to this sort of buzz either. It may pop up in a news or twitter feed, but I don't usually internalize it. Everyone says things that come out awkward and I feel like our internet society has made a sport of glomming onto every opinion and making an issue out of it. Unfortunately, people with a lot of ugliness and hate are capitalizing on that as a justification for spewing truly hateful things with an agenda.

Public life is weird. First we make "stars", demand they speak, and then crucify them for doing so. I think it's why acting and politics go hand in hand so well. 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• KooturKootur Lynchburg, VAMember UncommonPosts: 308
    TLJ is being painted as a "feminism" movie. My bet is hamil was pressured to not knock it. The movie compared to the others is doing very poorly and in china has been a dud. It's almost been totally pulled from theatres there.
    Torval said:

Do you think they tricked him and made him sign a contract before they told him what they had in mind for Luke? Imo, Hamill's whole reputation weighs upon the answer to that question...
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,375
    Gorwe said:
    Torval said:

Do you think they tricked him and made him sign a contract before they told him what they had in mind for Luke? Imo, Hamill's whole reputation weighs upon the answer to that question...
    His reputation isn't ruined with me. I don't think more or less of him because of this. I may not agree with him or how it all went down but I don't think worse of him. Trying to put his whole reputation on the line is making way too much out of it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• riveroftimeriveroftime Member CommonPosts: 14
    i feel like Hamill properly 'acted' in The Last Jedi.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Phoenix, AZMember UncommonPosts: 363
    Empire Strikes Back got bad reviews because George Lucas didn't have "advertising" money to pay off the reviewers and didn't buy them over with behind-the-scenes access for them to write about.

The reviewers made no money off of what could've been a goldmine for them.
    Gorwe said:
    Torval said:

My guess is that Mark probably signed a 3 movie contract before The Force Awakens without much clue as to what would be happening with his character, because the main bits about his character hadn't been written yet. Rian only started writing TLJ whilst production was finishing up on The Force Awakens and filming was delayed due to extensive rewrites in 2016.

So, yeh, I doubt that Mark knew much about what was going to happen to his character beyond some vague guidelines. 

And again, I don't have a problem with that. He's a professional actor, he got paid a lot of money to do a job, he raised his concerns at the appropriate times with the appropriate people and when his bosses made their decision, he stayed professional and did his job. 

Gorwe
    Gorwe said:
    Torval said:

My guess is that Mark probably signed a 3 movie contract before The Force Awakens without much clue as to what would be happening with his character, because the main bits about his character hadn't been written yet. Rian only started writing TLJ whilst production was finishing up on The Force Awakens and filming was delayed due to extensive rewrites in 2016.

So, yeh, I doubt that Mark knew much about what was going to happen to his character beyond some vague guidelines. 

And again, I don't have a problem with that. He's a professional actor, he got paid a lot of money to do a job, he raised his concerns at the appropriate times with the appropriate people and when his bosses made their decision, he stayed professional and did his job. 

Regardless, Disney should just sue Rian for IP damage. Because outside of DnD 4.0 and Age of Sigmar / The End Times, I've never seen something so...damaging to its IP.
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Torval said:

Regardless, Disney should just sue Rian for IP damage. Because outside of DnD 4.0 and Age of Sigmar / The End Times, I've never seen something so...damaging to its IP.
    I imagine Disney signed off on TLJ so suing probably out of the question, but I agree with the general sentiment that it has caused significant harm to the IP.

I don't think it is permanent damage though, Disney could turn it all around with the final movie from the trilogy. They pretty much have a blank slate for the final movie so they have an opportunity to really amaze us. It's a tall order. Since TLJ DVD came out, Mark Hamill has also been opening up a bit more about his feelings and has said he doesn't care about returning for the final film. With Carrie dead and Harrison's character dead, Mark says he just has no motivation to do another Star Wars film. 

Also, with Abrams returning I'll be curious to see what he can do with the franchise. He's pretty good at making a "solid" film but his writing is nothing special. I kind of imagine IX being a good sci-fi film but lacking the magical spark of Star Wars. 
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Torval said:

I imagine Disney signed off on TLJ so suing probably out of the question, but I agree with the general sentiment that it has caused significant harm to the IP.

I don't think it is permanent damage though, Disney could turn it all around with the final movie from the trilogy. They pretty much have a blank slate for the final movie so they have an opportunity to really amaze us. It's a tall order. Since TLJ DVD came out, Mark Hamill has also been opening up a bit more about his feelings and has said he doesn't care about returning for the final film. With Carrie dead and Harrison's character dead, Mark says he just has no motivation to do another Star Wars film. 

Also, with Abrams returning I'll be curious to see what he can do with the franchise. He's pretty good at making a "solid" film but his writing is nothing special. I kind of imagine IX being a good sci-fi film but lacking the magical spark of Star Wars. 
    I'd just like if JJ made his version of Episode VIII. Can't be worse than what we got. And, I can't believe I'm saying this, in JJ we trust! I've every reason to believe IX will be at least very fun(quite unlike the drab Rian VIII). TFA was kinda mindless, but very good looking and very fun. It's just a testament of JJ's talent once someone actually controls him and his shaky cam / lens flare crap.