Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sandbox?

DerapDerap Member UncommonPosts: 19
I am having trouble trying to find the right MMO, seeing as there are so many this should be simple. Here's what I'm looking for if anyone out there has any suggestions?

- Open world
- Complex item database
- Unlocked gear for classes (Think warrior using a longbow if you so choose)
- Possibly skill based progression like UO
- Complex crafting system
- No level cap or just a soft cap
- Already released or in open beta

Heres what doesn't matter to me
- Graphics
- Story
- Active Playerbase

Any ideas or am I out to lunch to expect this in 2017?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Uncharted Waters Online fits what you claim you want almost perfectly.  But it might not be what you're looking for if you assumed that all MMORPGs are almost entirely about combat and you just wanted to check some extra boxes in addition to that.  UWO has combat, but isn't primarily about combat.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Quizzical said:
    Uncharted Waters Online fits what you claim you want almost perfectly.  But it might not be what you're looking for if you assumed that all MMORPGs are almost entirely about combat and you just wanted to check some extra boxes in addition to that.  UWO has combat, but isn't primarily about combat.
    How is the population?  Worth getting into?

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Quizzical said:
    How is the population?  Worth getting into?
    I don't know how big the population is, as it's been a few years since I've played and the game has since moved to a different publisher.  The original poster said he didn't care about an active playerbase, though you apparently do.

The game world is enormous, and in much of the world, you're unlikely to ever meet someone.  There are some more crowded areas where you'll constantly run into people, though.  Most of the game activities aren't particularly dependent on having other players around, however.  For trading with other players, you can go to one of the few capital cities that are heavily populated and have plenty of people around.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    People say these are the best sandboxes around:

Sorry could not resist :smiley:
    SirAgravaine

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Malvious said:
    People say these are the best sandboxes around:

Sorry could not resist :smiley:
    No it's this one

Ultima Online or Eve Online if you can accept playing a spaceship. All others are indie with pretty poor quality.
    Uncharted Waters Online is made by Koei-Tecmo, which is hardly an indie company.  If you count games developed by studios before they were purchased by Koei-Tecmo, especially games made by Koei and Tecmo themselves before their 2009 merger, they have literally hundreds of released commercial games to their credit.

While play-balancing a game as complex as UWO is always going to be rough around the edges, it is a good quality game with few bugs.  With over a decade of development since launch and not deprecating old content, it might by now have the most still playable content of any MMORPG ever made.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    its still UO with more depth and activites for players than any other game on the market
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Mortal
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Also OP altho somewhat of a sandbox Project Gorgon may fit the bill for you ...

Official site ........https://projectgorgon.com/

Wiki of skills which is quite impressive....http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page

and yes they all work and in depth crafting

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    I would say Uncharted Waters Online though it is more popular in Japan than in the west. Japan even ported their own version to PS4 and its been successful as a subscription only in Japan since launch in 2005. The western version is a F2P PC version that is still alive but changed publishers like 4 times so i'm not sure how popular it is today. But it launched in 2010 and still alive so thats something.