Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42: Pre-Alpha WIP Gameplay - Vertical Slice - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Lord only knows how many times the poor Squadron 42 designers have had to throw out or redo their code and art.  It's the Roberts Way!   Also expect cinematics to rule over gameplay.  Ditto the reason.
    Wonder what kind of movie he could have made by using $100M...
    Would have been cool seeing Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman and all the rest... probably would have made even more money than the game.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    beebop500 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    beebop500 said:

I can completely understanding wanting to play code that you can actually download, actually play and actually have fun.
    but I dont agree that it has to be 'finished'. 
    My best gaming experiences EVER have been mostly by playing unfinished code.

and I am not saying 'ever' to be colorful or dramatic, nor do I speak from a position of inexperience. I mean very seriously exactly what I said
    Well as with anything else in gaming, YMMV of course.  Oh I've toyed around with unfinished games/projects myself, so I can understand your enjoyment of that also.  It's all a matter of perspective there, I suppose. 

Most games are never "finished", especially not now, in the era of day-one patches and constant updates, and so on.  I don't mean that a game need be "perfect" or anything of the sort.  Heck, I have bought into a few early-access titles, and one in particular I have been playing since it hit early access in around 2015 (?).  Point being, the game was in a released state (even if unfinished) and myself and others were able to experience the real thing for ourselves.

I just think it's honestly hilarious that someone would think people are "jealous" of SC because it's (theoretically) making money.  I mean I can somewhat understand being a fanboi, but for God's sake that idea is just idiotic.  People have been handing their money to charlatans and schemes for thousands of years.
    simply put you dont consider the definition of 'unfinished' to be applied to a good early access title but you do for SC.

which is actually fair and I totally see where you are coming from but I think that is what you are basically saying so fair enough

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97

beebop500 said:

At this point the game has to be pretty close to flawless or all the anti fan boys will troll the shit outta CIG about bugs and other BS. I think most of the people against SC are people who want to see it crash and burn because its not their style of game and they are jealous that the games they prefer will never reach the funding point that CIG has climbed to.

Sorry but I had to laugh at this.  Are you serious?  I play games that are fully released.  I don't have to justify to myself why I would even be remotely interested in some cobbled-together demo video masquerading as gameplay.  Please.

Those of us who don't donate money to CIG instead prefer to play games that have officially launched, so that we can actually determine whether we enjoy them or not.  Why would any of us be "jealous" that your crowdfunded pie in the sky is raking in more money?  These shamelessly premade videos should easily tell the tale of money being wasted....unless you think others are "jealous" of your waiting, what, over five years now for a game that still has no real functionality?

Yeah, I guess we're all idiots for buying games we can log onto and play.  Gosh, let me delete all of my existing games and go back SC, cause gosh, they are making so much money! Plus, that way I won't have to be "jealous" any longer of folks who have handed their kids' college funds over to Roberts.  LOL

Wow bro, let the but hurt flow through you. No where did this dude point you out specifically. You don't like Star Citizen or it's fans. We get it.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

skakruk said:

1 fps for every year in development? Looks pretty though.

I run the multiplayer universe at 30-40 FPS
    GrindcoreTHRALL
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Pre-alpha? I thought it was supposed to be released "soon".

CIG is talking about another "soon" than the "soon" you most probably have in mind. You have to think on a much larger scale here, more in space dimensions. Ah, whatever, time is relative anyways....
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Pre-alpha? I thought it was supposed to be released "soon".

Well, you have to remember that Chris Roberts resides on a higher plane than the rest of us mere mortals, so to him, 2023 is basically tomorrow. It's not his fault we lack his godlike perception of spacetime. In fact, this lack of awareness is also the reason why everyone thinks the Wing Commander movie was an absolute piece of trash. We simply don't have the ability to perceive it as the absolute masterpiece it truly is. The same holds true with this prerecorded demo, which is far from the obvious mishmash of heavily edited clips it appears to be.

Have faith in the divine will and vision of Roberts! DEUS VULT!
    TalonsinEponyxDamorbeebop500

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Tiamat64 said:

skakruk said:

You need a new computer then XD

Even this pre-recorded demo video, done in a single-player setting with no other players, had many points where the frames stuttered significantly or paused for a second or two. Guess CIG needs new computers, too, then?

Honestly, I'm impressed by the fact that they were even able to complete the mission in the demo, because its a running joke even within the SC community that completing missions (in SC, at least) is just not possible at this point (due to bugs, crashes, etc).

They weren't able to complete it in one run, apparently.  There are quite a few parts in the video where it looks like they had to cut it out and tape in a different play session.

That's the benefit of showing a "demo" using a pre-recorded video.  What's really scary is that's probably the best they could come up with after throwing out the bad parts and replacing them with functional playthrough moments and it STILL had lots of issues anyways.

I don't think the video is all that bad, but I do think that calling it a "early pre-alpha WIP" after 5-6 years of development is kind of worrying. SQ42 is a much more realistic goal and game for CIG to complete compared to SC; the scope is much smaller and the game play more linear. If after 5-6 years, and after saying the product was "nearly complete and ready for launch" just a few years ago, they are now back to saying "early pre-alpha" is kind of concerning.

As I've said in other threads in discussing SQ42/SC, I firmly sit in the "release when ready" camp, but the goalposts for SQ42 haven't moved like they have for SC. So, I don't really understand why they haven't made more progress on SQ42. "Early pre-alpha WIP" implies there is still a significant way to go, especially since optimization still seems to be rocky at best.

After 5-6 years and tons of hype (especially for this particular game play demo), I just wasn't super impressed, especially considering it is prerecorded and they had every chance possible to make it truly remarkable. It isn't like they were actually sitting there *live* playing through a mission; they could have at least made the game play seem more interesting than "how many buttons does it take to get into the ship's cockpit and launch".

Release when it's ready is fine IF the studio in question has proven itself in the past. By that I mean they worked on a game, had to delay it but in the end the game was superb then that's fine we know they can produce quality work.

CIG is getting a pass by fans with the release when its ready without having seen any prior work put out by the studio. Would you commission someone to renovate your house without any word of mouth about how good their work actually is? or commission someone to paint an epic mural if they walked up to you and said give me 30 grand and I'll paint you something amazing but I have no prior work to prove how amazing I am?

Fans should be standing on CRoberts throat because its their money they are giving him and then giving him a pass as well by telling him it's ok take as long as you want. I'm sure some are fine with that approach but it breeds greedy and lazy devs because they start to learn they can say or do anything and get away with it
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Didn't this game come out like years ago? Is this a new update or something?

/sarcasm
    beebop500

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    It's not vaporware. There's clearly a serious amount of work that went into this project.

This being said:

- the graphics are no longer awesome/unique so many years later
    - giving these dudes money is pretty damn stupid considering the vast amount of stuff they still need to do, and how much it will take. You really want to have heard about this at 25 and get to play a ver. 1.0 at 35? Common, let's be reasonable.
    - there's such a thing as biting more than you can chew. Huge worlds are not something that random indie studios are known to pull off. Take a look at Assassin's Creed: Origins and Witcher 3 - and these are games don't even have to deal with space and vehicles and online economies and MMO structures. This type of game is clearly very complex and requires lots of work.

Will they pull it off? Probably. But people are already bored of hearing about this game and the opposite of being excited. When they finally get it to launch, it will probably still be rushed, full of bugs and incomplete.

Verdict: will never support, glad I haven't give them a dime.
    sgelbeebop500
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited December 2017
    https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

I challenge any of you detractors to download and install it. then recreate an exact duplicate of any time stamp from this video. You have 7 days, get to work.
    EponyxDamorMaxBaconErillion
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Arillix said:

I challenge any of you detractors to download and install it. then recreate an exact duplicate of any time stamp from this video. You have 7 days, get to work.
    So you're giving people 7 days and no money to duplicate something that took 5 years and 164+ million to make?

Also, using Lumberyard instead of Cryengine for Star Citizen is allegedly a breach of contract.  Perhaps you didn't realize that.  It's okay.  Maybe CiG didn't realize that either.
    MaxBaconKefo
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Arillix said:

So you're giving people 7 days and no money to duplicate something that took 5 years and 164+ million to make?

Also, using Lumberyard instead of Cryengine for Star Citizen is allegedly a breach of contract.  Perhaps you didn't realize that.  It's okay.  Maybe CiG didn't realize that either.

175mill*. Pretty sure CIG knew exactly what they are doing and amazon made a deal with them.  I wouldnt mess with Amazon XD
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Arillix said:

175mill*. Pretty sure CIG knew exactly what they are doing and amazon made a deal with them.  I wouldnt mess with Amazon XD

Well, I was giving a little leeway in dollars to account for unnecessary things like CiG's $15k space doors and $20k coffee makers but sure, let's go with 175 million.

As for the alleged "deal" with Amazon, Chris constantly uses the word partnership but no dialogue with Amazon or contract was ever mentioned in any of the news articles about it.  Further analysis of the way various CiG employees talked about Amazon in post-lumberyard interviews implies that the only "deal" that was ever made was CiG downloading Lumberyard and agreeing to the license just like anyone can do (and just like Arillix is proposing "detractors" do).

Then again, if that's Chris's idea of a partnership and a "deal", it's no wonder why they'd be able to much up and breach that Crytek contract so badly.  They clearly have no idea what the legal meaning of various terms is.

Alternatively, if there was a deal anyways (which it doesn't seem like there was but let's say hypothetically), CiG possibly made the deal with Amazon and didn't tell them about their Crytek contract.  Which would be another kind of hilarity (not as hilarious as them not telling their bank Coutts about it when they took out that loan, though)
    MaxBacon
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Kefo said:

Tiamat64 said:

skakruk said:

Even this pre-recorded demo video, done in a single-player setting with no other players, had many points where the frames stuttered significantly or paused for a second or two. Guess CIG needs new computers, too, then?

Honestly, I'm impressed by the fact that they were even able to complete the mission in the demo, because its a running joke even within the SC community that completing missions (in SC, at least) is just not possible at this point (due to bugs, crashes, etc).

They weren't able to complete it in one run, apparently.  There are quite a few parts in the video where it looks like they had to cut it out and tape in a different play session.

That's the benefit of showing a "demo" using a pre-recorded video.  What's really scary is that's probably the best they could come up with after throwing out the bad parts and replacing them with functional playthrough moments and it STILL had lots of issues anyways.

I don't think the video is all that bad, but I do think that calling it a "early pre-alpha WIP" after 5-6 years of development is kind of worrying. SQ42 is a much more realistic goal and game for CIG to complete compared to SC; the scope is much smaller and the game play more linear. If after 5-6 years, and after saying the product was "nearly complete and ready for launch" just a few years ago, they are now back to saying "early pre-alpha" is kind of concerning.

As I've said in other threads in discussing SQ42/SC, I firmly sit in the "release when ready" camp, but the goalposts for SQ42 haven't moved like they have for SC. So, I don't really understand why they haven't made more progress on SQ42. "Early pre-alpha WIP" implies there is still a significant way to go, especially since optimization still seems to be rocky at best.

After 5-6 years and tons of hype (especially for this particular game play demo), I just wasn't super impressed, especially considering it is prerecorded and they had every chance possible to make it truly remarkable. It isn't like they were actually sitting there *live* playing through a mission; they could have at least made the game play seem more interesting than "how many buttons does it take to get into the ship's cockpit and launch".

Release when it's ready is fine IF the studio in question has proven itself in the past. By that I mean they worked on a game, had to delay it but in the end the game was superb then that's fine we know they can produce quality work.

CIG is getting a pass by fans with the release when its ready without having seen any prior work put out by the studio. Would you commission someone to renovate your house without any word of mouth about how good their work actually is? or commission someone to paint an epic mural if they walked up to you and said give me 30 grand and I'll paint you something amazing but I have no prior work to prove how amazing I am?

Fans should be standing on CRoberts throat because its their money they are giving him and then giving him a pass as well by telling him it's ok take as long as you want. I'm sure some are fine with that approach but it breeds greedy and lazy devs because they start to learn they can say or do anything and get away with it

Again, I don't disagree with your points; however, 5-6 years development time is fairly typical, especially for MMOs. With that said (and with my previous comment), I would fully expect that by this point, SQ42 would be far beyond an "early pre-alpha WIP" stage of development. It is not an MMO and it has a significantly smaller scope than SC; they're also reusing assets from SC to create SQ42, making it even easier.

SQ42 is, IMO, CIG's best chance at proving it can actually finish a product. So far, they can't even provide a compelling demo (of actual game play), though.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Kefo said:

Tiamat64 said:

skakruk said:

Again, I don't disagree with your points; however, 5-6 years development time is fairly typical, especially for MMOs. With that said (and with my previous comment), I would fully expect that by this point, SQ42 would be far beyond an "early pre-alpha WIP" stage of development. It is not an MMO and it has a significantly smaller scope than SC; they're also reusing assets from SC to create SQ42, making it even easier.

SQ42 is, IMO, CIG's best chance at proving it can actually finish a product. So far, they can't even provide a compelling demo (of actual game play), though.
    5-6 years might be typical for a RELEASED game.
    SQ42 isn't even close to being released.. just listen to the language of the devs when they talk about it. By devs I mean, everyone else apart from Chris Roberts... he can't tell the difference between 2 weeks and 12 months.

Do you honestly think the game is close to being done?.. They could barely show a part of one mission and they claimed that the first chapter will have 60 missions iirc?

..Cake..

edited December 2017
    sgel said:
    SQ42 isn't even close to being released.. just listen to the language of the devs when they talk about it. By devs I mean, everyone else apart from Chris Roberts... he can't tell the difference between 2 weeks and 12 months.

Do you honestly think the game is close to being done?.. They could barely show a part of one mission and they claimed that the first chapter will have 60 missions iirc?
    Did you even read what I wrote? No, I don't think they're close to being done, hence my comment and summary that 5-6 years for an "early pre-alpha WIP" demo with little actual game play is very disappointing.

We agree but you seem to focus solely on the positive aspects of my post (giving CIG benefit of the doubt) and miss the point I'm actually making.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    sgel said:

Did you even read what I wrote? No, I don't think they're close to being done, hence my comment and summary that 5-6 years for an "early pre-alpha WIP" demo with little actual game play is very disappointing.

We agree but you seem to focus solely on the positive aspects of my post (giving CIG benefit of the doubt) and miss the point I'm actually making.
    Yeah sorry.. I mostly concentrated on that 5-6 years is typical comment :)
    My apologies.

..Cake..

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751

It is not an MMO and it has a significantly smaller scope than SC; they're also reusing assets from SC to create SQ42, making it even easier.

I don't know why you think this would speed things up. SQ42 has always been tied to pace of SC development, decisions that effect one effect the other. When fully explorable planets became a thing this took a toll on ALL development. It would no longer be a case of making a small area that you 'load' into with a pre cut cinematic, this would be a waste of development time. A lot of the features slated for SC will probably be made use of by the writers for SQ42. It makes reasonable sense to do so. I would not expect to see a SQ42 release until much closer to a SC beta.
    EponyxDamor
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    I like SQ42, it is what it was expectable, and it brings back the WC vibe that was its core pitch back then. I see the argumentation is now "Oh but it took all these years...", tho that is a rather mute argument; moving the narrative to slow progress is already progress from that usual "it's a scam that will never release" we're used to.

MaxBacon said:

I like SQ42, it is what it was expectable, and it brings back the WC vibe that was its core pitch back then. I see the argumentation is now "Oh but it took all these years...", tho that is a rather mute argument; moving the narrative to slow progress is already progress from that usual "it's a scam that will never release" we're used to.

What I mostly see are people who are not invested and have no interest in SC beyond hating it because 'crowdfunding', getting really concerned on my behalf about the $35 I spent for TWO AAA quality games not being spent wisely by CR and CIG. What a joke these folk are.

By the way, game packages are currently on sale for $35 for holiday special.
    Erillion
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Orinori said:

MaxBacon said:

What I mostly see are people who are not invested and have no interest in SC beyond hating it because 'crowdfunding', getting really concerned on my behalf about the $35 I spent for TWO AAA quality games not being spent wisely by CR and CIG. What a joke these folk are.

One game - in two parts!
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't see anyone here (or anywhere semi-intelligent) making the "scam" argument, but when two years ago they were claiming they were within an imminent launch of SQ42, to now being an "early pre-alpha WIP" pre-recorded demo that is being termed a "vertical slice" you kinda have to wonder ...

I'm not saying it should have been released by now, but to put themselves still at a pre-alpha portion of progress for what should be a much easier game to make compared to SC is kind of silly. If they can't even get SQ42 out the door within a reasonable time frame (accounting for some leeway, given its an "indie" studio, if you can still call it that), especially given its limited scope compared to SC ... I don't hold out much hope SC.

After 5-6 years of development, they should have a lot more to show off. With a pre-recorded tech demo (thats what it is at this point, as its labeled an "early pre-alpha WIP" essentially showing off the tech they've added over the years), they should have at least spent a bit more time polishing it up, especially since they have been hyping this particular video up for nearly a year now.
    edited December 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    Orinori said:

MaxBacon said:

One game - in two parts!
    Well it is certainly the value of two tripple A games, SQ42 isn't some simple side mission of SC.

Your point also seems to be missed by @eponyxDamor who thinks it would be much better and wiser to create two completely separate games using different mechanics!
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    but to put themselves still at a pre-alpha portion of progress for what should be a much easier game to make compared to SC is kind of silly. 
    What is it that makes you think it is easier to make? It is only easier to make if you cut corners and build SQ42 as a separate game using separate mechanics to create a much more on rails experience where you are loading into small handcrafted areas.

That is just wasted development time overall, makes it much harder to add further chapters to down the line, it also happens to reduce possible experiences and interactions with the game, as can be heard in the directors cut of this video, CR calls the missions more of a sandbox type approach.  
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Orinori said:

MaxBacon said:

One game - in two parts!
    Well it is certainly the value of two tripple A games, SQ42 isn't some simple side mission of SC.

Your point also seems to be missed by @eponyxDamor who thinks it would be much better and wiser to create two completely separate games using different mechanics!
    Do you not even read what I wrote, or do you simply take such offense because I dare criticize CIG's glorified tech demo? I already acknowledged the fact that they're reusing assets for SQ42, which, as I said, MAKES IT EASIER.

In fact, you use this same logic in defense of the game taking so long. It makes no sense. If they aren't developing two separate games (as BOTH you and I claim), SQ42 should be a much easier game to create as it is a SINGLE PLAYER experience with MUCH SMALLER scope than SC. They're also REUSING ASSETS that they make for SC. It really isn't rocket science; SQ42 should be making much more progress than SC if given the same development time, just given the nature of the two games.

Its backwards logic to say that, since they're reusing assets in a single player game, SQ42 should be at an earlier stage of development than its SC counterpart. YES I would expect SQ42 to be "near release" when SC enters beta (whenever that is), but SC isn't anywhere NEAR beta, and SQ42 isn't even in alpha.

Do we really have to go into why making a SINGLE PLAYER game is easier than MAKING AN MMO?