Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The World Health Organization to Add 'Obsessive Gaming Disorders' to Its Classification of Diseases

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Great!
    more "diseases" for tax payers to support.
    AllerleirauhBLNX
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As the W.H.O is just another mechanism of the U.N. If there is one thing that has defined the U.N its that is unfit for purpose.
    I have zero trust in anything the W.H.O says or does as its a zero credibility organisation as is the UN.
    GdemamiGilnidorLiljnaMrMelGibson
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    This thread seems to be a gathering of low intelligence, poorly educated morons, with no understanding of science, medicine or the biological basis for behavioural addictions.

To those suggesting that psychology is not a science, or that it is only recently that psychology has been recognised as a science, you would be incorrect. Before Descarte separated the human condition into three distinct realities including the internal reality (our psyche), Muslims had already settled on the notion that abnormal behaviour was a product of disease (rather than possession, or being smote by God, etc) and that the solution to disease was through medicine and treatment identified using a scientific approach. This was not strictly psychology however, but it highlights that even before the term "psychology" was a thing, a scientific method of sorts was being used to investigate the human mind and behaviour. Modern experimental psychology - the application of the scientific method (created in 17th century) to the human mind and behaviour - began in the 1830s. People should stop over-complicating what science is. A true science is simply the application of the scientific method to a particular area of investigation, that proves its validity by generating accurate and meaningful data sets that can be used to predict future results. Psychology may well be a messy form of science right now, but it is still very much a science that has a strong foundation of highly valid and meaningful findings to demonstrate its value. I understand why other scientists would need to defend their turf so vociferously, but at some point they - and the laypeople who blindly follow them - are going to have to get over it. If they can't, that's on them (and we can almost certainly tell them WHY they are behaving like that, because we've done the research and know the basic for such behaviour).

As for this notion in the thread that games can't be addictive? I hate to break it to those people, but there is a strong and growing body of neurological evidence supporting the notion of addiction to gaming. More specifically, online gaming. Research into addiction in general has shown that certain individuals are far more likely to suffer from addiction than others, and that this is likely due to abnormalities in the mesolimibc pathway (among other things). Video games - especially modern video games - employ similar reward mechanisms as gambling, and there's a growing body of research positively comparing pathological gambling with online gaming addiction. Beyond that, gaming habits in individuals diagnosed with IGA (Internet Gaming Addiction) are now being shown to effect the brain in a way similar to the effects of methamphetamine abuse. More recently, loot boxes have been linked to similar mechanisms of addiction as those seen in pathological gamblers. With all of this in mind (and it is only a drop in the ocean), it should be quite clear to everyone: anyone claiming that games are not or cannot be addictive in the truest sense of the term... are morons who have no idea what they are talking about (as is evidence by most of the posts in this thread of that nature). It is true that addiction can be the result of another underlying disorder, but it is also very true that addiction itself can be the underlying disorder. The two notions are not mutually exclusive OR inclusive.

It's interesting that the article quotes a member of the DSM panel in regards to the inclusion of gaming addiction disorders in the ICD-10. The DSM includes Internet Gaming Addiction as a sub-category of Internet Addiction Disorder, acknowledging the large body of evidence validating its existence and calling for more research. It is included in the DSM-V as a condition for further study, and will almost certainly be entered as a sub-type of addiction disorder in the next edition of the DSM.

Also, people here claiming that they would be classed as gaming addicts... almost certainly would not. A drug addict is not someone who drinks at the weekend from Friday night until Sunday morning, but manages to stay sober from Monday to Friday. A gambling addict is not someone who spends all of the disposable income on gambling sites, but still manages to pay their bills and buy their food. An online game addict is not someone who comes home from work every night, plays a game until they are tired, and then gets up and goes to work the next day. Like every other form of addiction, gaming addiction is in large part defined by distress and disorder caused by not being able to engage in gaming habits. In other words: if you suffer extreme emotional distress when you can't play games, such that you stop going to work, stop engaging with friends and family, stop eating meals, stop paying your bills, etc, in order to facilitate your gaming habit, then you are an addict. If you play games endlessly but still manage to function normally in social terms, in your employment or education, etc, then you aren't an addict. Learn the difference between obsession and addiction, because there is a HUGE different between being an obsessive gamer who still has a functional life, and being a gaming addict who has no functional life to speak of.
    Wizbuizmirkow76GilnidorLiljnaMrMelGibsonGdemami
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Screw gambling ban gaming.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    edited December 2017

So I assume all sportsmen that basically live to train have such a disorder as well or it doesn't qualify because the damage for most of them comes at later years?

All car enthusiasts as well because we all know that people that love cars can only think about cars(nothing wrong about loving and constantly thinking about your hobby btw!)

Honestly some times I'm surprised how stupid smart people can be.

So not only do I have this disorder, but I have the same related to the books I read because most of the time I don't do shit I tend to think about the stories of the books I read(Wuxia/Xianxia fan here, for those of you that know what it means).

Truth be told doesn't matter if they go along with this crazy ass idea... Nothing will change for me personally except maybe from being a "normal" happy person to a "crazy?!?" happy person. It's all the same as long as I'm happy.

No, because a professional sports-person generally maintains their social and personal lives outside of their chosen career/sport. No sports-person "lives to train". Most, if not all, have families, have homes, have functional social lives, pay their bills, get adequate nutrition. There have been cases of sports-people displaying damaging behaviours, and in these cases they generally end up in hospital or are removed from competition to treat such issues. In those circumstances, they generally don't return to competition either.

Your examples are also fatuous because they assume total uniformity; not EVERYONE who plays games for hundreds of hours is going to get addicted to them. Why? Because of subtle difference in the way each brain in each person develops or is impacted by genetic/environmental factors.
    LiljnaMrMelGibsonGdemami
  • mshan86mshan86 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Is that motherfucker playing DOTA with a controller? WTF?

They are right, it is a disease now... playing DOTA with controller and shit.
    MrMelGibsonMadFrenchie
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited December 2017
    This ultimately means nothing.

They added "Trolling" as an official emotional and social disorder a couple years ago. Since it's a symptom of someone seeking and attaining pleasure from negativity and depravity. And yet, despite this. We have a President who has prided himself on trolling people on twitter. Which would suggest that he is unfit as a President. Since any mental disorder is grounds for dismissal from the position. Yet he is still here, despite that fact. Which proves that this whole thing on making something an official disorder. Is just a bunch of chest-pounding bullshit. If adding things to the list doesn't have any impact on our society, then the list doesn't matter.
    AllerleirauhGilnidor
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Does this mean we can get disability? Haha
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    This thread seems to be a gathering of low intelligence, poorly educated morons, with no understanding of science, medicine or the biological basis for behavioural addictions.
    Really? And yet, here you are, writing your ESSAY on a FORUM.
    Great!
    more "diseases" for tax payers to support.
    Indeed.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • lexluthor2015lexluthor2015 Member CommonPosts: 8
    So,are we getting our own charity organizations? Some volunteers gonna do daily quests and weekly raid for us? May be even grinding a hour or so ...every hour
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    not read the whole thread so apologies if it' been mentioned.

Haven't people in multiple countries been diagnosed with gaming addictions. I am sure I would probably be diagnosed as such but to me it's an enjoyment and that's why I do it.

But again that's what addicts throughout the world say, that and i could atop anytime i wanted.

Apologies for typos I've had one whisky too many and I am relying on my phone lol
    MrMelGibson
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    so playing could be dangerous.... mmh and all this ppl going to forum to another forum, blog and others "social" support, are they all ill too? the problem for me is not just gaming, it's internet! cut it for a week and i think the number of depressiv will skyrocket :)
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    thunderC said:
    Imagine going to a real rehab facility and your sitting around shooting the shit with everyone,

Guy 1
    is like i had 2k a week coke habit,

woman 2
    is like I knew my addiction to heroin was serious when i starting selling my body for drug money

YOU Ughhh... i spent like 80 dollars this past steam winter sale
    Pfft. More like I've spent 20k buying everything SC related. Go big or go home, scrubs.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This is retarded .... 'nuff said.

Let it serve as a lesson to those who keep begging for regulation in certain aspects of gaming, like loot boxes....... What is preferable, people spending money on crap, or kids being forced to take medications due to some folks lack of self control? It will be like the 90's where kids are thrown by the 1000's into a zombified state because of the adhd craze/scare... Many have essentially been asking for this...
    [Deleted User]IselinConstantineMerusGdemami

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Distopia said:

Let it serve as a lesson to those who keep begging for regulation in certain aspects of gaming, like loot boxes....... What is preferable, people spending money on crap, or kids being forced to take medications due to some folks lack of self control? It will be like the 90's where kids are thrown by the 1000's into a zombified state because of the adhd craze/scare... Many have essentially been asking for this...
    C'mon Distopia, the worst thing about this article is simply that an issue-specific label was given to a general issue (compulsive or obsessive behaviors).  It's a stretch to say that folks calling for regulations on overly predatory monetization techniques that hearken back to gambling is the same as creating a redundant psychological label for folks suffering from a general, unhealthy behavior.
    IselinGdemami

Torval said:
    Distopia said:

C'mon Distopia, the worst thing about this article is simply that an issue-specific label was given to a general issue (compulsive or obsessive behaviors).  It's a stretch to say that folks calling for regulations on overly predatory monetization techniques that hearken back to gambling is the same as creating a redundant psychological label for folks suffering from a general, unhealthy behavior.
    Wait, are we talking about the tobacco industry or online gaming entertainment?  The tobacco companies use that reasoning too. 
    While I'm sure you meant that as a dig at my position, I'm not following where it refutes my point.
    Gdemami

Torval said:
    I’m pointing out the flaw in the argument. The label isn’t being duplicated. It’s more likely to be added as a child and sibling in problems coding for diagnostics and billing. You can look up the ICD-10 coding system. I’m on mobile so I don’t want to screw with links. I can post some later if it’s relevant to you. 

Modern diagnosis codes are very specific. 
    No offense, but that's rather esoteric and extraneous for the purposes of this argument, don't you think?  

While the diagnosis codes are very specific because the underlying activity associated (such as video games) are relevant to tailoring treatment to each individual, it doesn't change that the individual is exhibiting the same general type of abnormal and destructive behavior (I would think; but I understand you work with the industry, so if that's completely wrong, feel free to correct me).

Again, maybe I'm not completely understanding the point due to my ignorance of the industry specifics.
    Gdemami

I'm sorry not read all the replies but are people actually saying this is rediculous?

People get addicted to gaming.... fact.
    People do horrible and/or negilgent things due to this....fact.

Press reports in November 2005 state that Gregg J. Kleinmark, 24, pleaded "guilty to two counts of involuntary manslaughter". He "left fraternal twins Drew and Bryn Kleinmark unattended in a bathtub for 30 minutes, in order to go three rooms away and play on his Game Boy Advance" while "in the mean time, the two ten-months old kids drowned

Ohio teenager Daniel Petric shot his parents, killing his mother, after they took away his copy of Halo 3 in October 2007

In Jacksonville, Florida, Alexandra Tobias pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for shaking her baby to death. She told investigators that the baby boy's crying had interrupted her while she was playing the Facebook game FarmVille. She was sentenced to 50 years in December 2010.

Now these are extreme examples and more of an exception than the rule but if people hurry their heads in the sand and say addiction to gaming is not as dangerous as other addictions this will continue to grow.
    Gdemami
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    its better addiction than drugs or gambling though.. 
    edited December 2017
    its better addiction than drugs or gambling though.. 
    Really??

People die from gaming as well as alcohol and drugs.
    People kill due to all three addiction.
    People's lives collapse through gaming as well as alcohol or drugs.

It might not be the same level as alcohol or drugs yet but compared to them gaming is still relatively new.
    Gdemami
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    This is a damn joke really? When should we add watching TV to that list, or collecting things, working on cars. Any hobby can become an "addiction"

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2018
    I mentioned on the news feature that this seems merely to be a name given to a specific type of obsessive behavior.  Not sure it needed its own name, though.  Seems easier to label it the obsessive disorder it is and merely annotate the patient's file with the specific behavior they're obsessed with.
    IselinAsheram

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    excessive breathing disorder must be next.
    SBFord

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2018

To those suggesting that psychology is not a science, or that it is only recently that psychology has been recognised as a science, you would be incorrect. Before Descarte separated the human condition into three distinct realities including the internal reality (our psyche), Muslims had already settled on the notion that abnormal behaviour was a product of disease (rather than possession, or being smote by God, etc) and that the solution to disease was through medicine and treatment identified using a scientific approach. This was not strictly psychology however, but it highlights that even before the term "psychology" was a thing, a scientific method of sorts was being used to investigate the human mind and behaviour. Modern experimental psychology - the application of the scientific method (created in 17th century) to the human mind and behaviour - began in the 1830s. People should stop over-complicating what science is. A true science is simply the application of the scientific method to a particular area of investigation, that proves its validity by generating accurate and meaningful data sets that can be used to predict future results. Psychology may well be a messy form of science right now, but it is still very much a science that has a strong foundation of highly valid and meaningful findings to demonstrate its value. I understand why other scientists would need to defend their turf so vociferously, but at some point they - and the laypeople who blindly follow them - are going to have to get over it. If they can't, that's on them (and we can almost certainly tell them WHY they are behaving like that, because we've done the research and know the basic for such behaviour).

As for this notion in the thread that games can't be addictive? I hate to break it to those people, but there is a strong and growing body of neurological evidence supporting the notion of addiction to gaming. More specifically, online gaming. Research into addiction in general has shown that certain individuals are far more likely to suffer from addiction than others, and that this is likely due to abnormalities in the mesolimibc pathway (among other things). Video games - especially modern video games - employ similar reward mechanisms as gambling, and there's a growing body of research positively comparing pathological gambling with online gaming addiction. Beyond that, gaming habits in individuals diagnosed with IGA (Internet Gaming Addiction) are now being shown to effect the brain in a way similar to the effects of methamphetamine abuse. More recently, loot boxes have been linked to similar mechanisms of addiction as those seen in pathological gamblers. With all of this in mind (and it is only a drop in the ocean), it should be quite clear to everyone: anyone claiming that games are not or cannot be addictive in the truest sense of the term... are morons who have no idea what they are talking about (as is evidence by most of the posts in this thread of that nature). It is true that addiction can be the result of another underlying disorder, but it is also very true that addiction itself can be the underlying disorder. The two notions are not mutually exclusive OR inclusive.

It's interesting that the article quotes a member of the DSM panel in regards to the inclusion of gaming addiction disorders in the ICD-10. The DSM includes Internet Gaming Addiction as a sub-category of Internet Addiction Disorder, acknowledging the large body of evidence validating its existence and calling for more research. It is included in the DSM-V as a condition for further study, and will almost certainly be entered as a sub-type of addiction disorder in the next edition of the DSM.

Also, people here claiming that they would be classed as gaming addicts... almost certainly would not. A drug addict is not someone who drinks at the weekend from Friday night until Sunday morning, but manages to stay sober from Monday to Friday. A gambling addict is not someone who spends all of the disposable income on gambling sites, but still manages to pay their bills and buy their food. An online game addict is not someone who comes home from work every night, plays a game until they are tired, and then gets up and goes to work the next day. Like every other form of addiction, gaming addiction is in large part defined by distress and disorder caused by not being able to engage in gaming habits. In other words: if you suffer extreme emotional distress when you can't play games, such that you stop going to work, stop engaging with friends and family, stop eating meals, stop paying your bills, etc, in order to facilitate your gaming habit, then you are an addict. If you play games endlessly but still manage to function normally in social terms, in your employment or education, etc, then you aren't an addict. Learn the difference between obsession and addiction, because there is a HUGE different between being an obsessive gamer who still has a functional life, and being a gaming addict who has no functional life to speak of.

Clearly you have no clue about what an addict is. In your examples, all of these would be classified as "functional" addicts, but addicts none the less. There is far less difference between functional and non-functional addicts than you believe, take it from one who was raised by "functional" alcoholics and has a opiate addicted child who is coming up on 6 years clean, but still rightfully considers herself an addict.

Gaming addiction is just another variant of obsessive compulsive disorder. It applies to any activity people overly participate in to the exclusion of other real life activities, which can include gaming, gambling, playing golf, working out, or pretty much anything else people overly enjoy.

Substance abuse addictions are an entirely different matter and you shouldn't let pseudo sciences tell you otherwise.

Also, pro tip, best to not insult the intelligence of people in forums when its pretty clear many know far more than you do.
    shetlandslarsen

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon