Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accident During Virtual Reality Session Leads to Man's Death - MMORPG.com News

13»

Comments

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Akulas said:
    Better to go AR than VR.
    That way you think it was an angry goblin that stabbed you...instead of your coffee table that you fell into.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited December 2017
    not read the whole thread so bear with me.

Has anyone heard of natural sekection.
    Now don't get me wrig i feel for the guys family but...

If your daft enough to walk around a room with a glass table or balcony blind....

natural selection at work. 

Edit

Just seen Sovrath's post. Glad I'm not the only on that has this line of thought
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    If you don’t have a room big enough and dedicated to VR use then you don’t need one. VR is already an expensive gaming venture. If you can’t make a VR safe room, then you probably shouldn’t be playing VR stuff to begin with.
    Calaruil

Getting too old for this $&17!

• CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    read some more posts now.

imo VR will evolve to include a small treadmill type contraption that responds to the direction you are walking.

this ould give the illusion of moving whilst remaining on the spot. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Calaruil said:
    read some more posts now.

imo VR will evolve to include a small treadmill type contraption that responds to the direction you are walking.

this ould give the illusion of moving whilst remaining on the spot. 
    It already exists; just Google "Virtuix Omni".

If you don't have 10 large in expendable cash, consider that some 3DoF rigs like the one I referenced in my previous post do a fine job of simulating motion through virtual space while one is confined to naught but a swivel chair in real space.

The upcoming Oculus Go is generating a bit of buzz: this author at least is saying it will "change everything" and is comparing it to Steve Jobs' strategy with the iPhone, calling the $199 price point "magic":

http://mashable.com/2017/10/11/oculus-go-will-change-everything/#2ofNYKoHlkqX

I understand there is quite a lot of 'hype fatigue' surrounding VR, but personally there is reason to be cautiously optimistic Go will be a boon for the VR community.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance