Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accident During Virtual Reality Session Leads to Man's Death - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageAccident During Virtual Reality Session Leads to Man's Death - MMORPG.com News

A 44-year-old man was found dead late last week after apparently falling into a glass table and being cut so severely that he bled out. The accident happened while he was wearing a virtual reality headset and could not see his immediate surroundings. Preliminary findings may indicate that "the game was not properly mapped to the size of his apartment" and resulted in the fall and death. Officials have launched an investigation into the incident after the man's body was found by his mother.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    Room mapping by the game? hm
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    New warning labels?
    Gdemami
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    world is not VR ready yet.
    obiiBlaze_Rocker
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Who ever said Lawyers did not get any work over the holidays was wrong, the glass table manufacture grossly negligent causeing the bleed-out of said snowflake.
    Blaze_RockerWraithone
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I have to cheat my room mapping a bit to get it to conform to the required size. That's probably what happened here.
    SBFord

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Horrible. First casualty of VR, as predicted.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    That's why I won't be getting vr. Not being able to see my surroundings doesn't appeal to me.
    SBFordMadFrenchieAlomarBlaze_Rocker
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I`ll never buy a VR its the same as a sensory deprivation chamber you are exposing your mind to other entities.
    Phaserlight
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    System said:
    The creator of Cloudlands: VR Minigolf even stated that he found himself a bit concerned when he found himself on the balcony of an 18-story building while playing his own game.

....yea, that's definitely something to be a "bit concerned" about.

At a some arcades IIRC, they had like, chambers for their VR machines.  If VR ever becomes big, the casualties are only going to increase and those chambers are one of the only things that could truly be safe about those things.  But those are way too expensive and take up way too much room for the average human being to afford so if those things became mandatory, that would kill VR on the spot.

Maybe there's another solution to that future Catch 22.  As it is, if VR grows to be a big thing and cases of these incidents likely increase, I don't think the law will tolerate some self-regulation like "You must have this much amount of free space before you make yourself completely unaware of your surroundings" nor will the populace be able to follow such requirements or would they matter (considering that a guy ended up on his balcony like that).
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Regulations don't need to be put in place.  Make sure the consumers know the dangers of what they are doing, and let them decided if they are going to participate.  
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    edited December 2017

watch and see the plans for your future;)
    it starts getting good at 1 min. also, you can watch the full exposure in a link below this video on his channel.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited December 2017
    With new technology comes new ways to die. You'd think that wouldn't be the case when you are supposed safe inside your home, but anything can happen.

Consoles come with a warning label for those that are prone to having seizures, and of course, with VR that risk (among others increase).

I personally like to be aware of my surroundings, so I don't think VR is for me.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    According to an online news site the man was playing a Star Wars game and was oblivious about him bleeding until it was too late.
    Thupli
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Shodanas said:
    According to an online news site the man was playing a Star Wars game and was oblivious about him bleeding until it was too late.
    Maybe he saw himself get struck by a light saber and assumed the wound would be cauterized.
    ShodanasBlaze_RockerThupli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Surprised it took this long, Although my money would have been on someone getting bashed in the head via a VR hand remote launching out of someones grip .
    Blaze_Rocker
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    jdnewell said:
    That's why I won't be getting vr. Not being able to see my surroundings doesn't appeal to me.
    That's one of the largest reasons I don't think VR will be as popular as some think.  There's a vulnerability to being completely shut off from the reality of your surroundings.  It creates a distinct feeling of unease.
    Octagon7711PhryBlaze_Rocker

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's why I prefer AR reality.  VR cuts you off from your environment.  AR will be used in regular looking glasses, allowing a person to use it indoors, outdoors, and from room to room, not just in one set location.
    OyjordAlomarPhryLiljnaApridise

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    He is a hero, he gave his life for VR--without risk there is no reward
    Oyjord
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If I can't participate in VR through a capsule/pod like in the matrix, then I'm not interested in it
    BruceYee
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    To me VR experience has started and ended in 1996 (or 97): a friend of mine has played with VFX-1 (or whatever it was called) helm for couple hours and ended up in local hospital with damaged neck vertebrae.

Thank you for your time!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Eeeiiiieeee.  A person dies and it's the VRapoclypse.  Car wrecks to accidental stabbing from kitchen ware.  Things happen in the world.  We cannot bubble wrap ourselves out of living.  Walking deaths from cell phones and ppl huffing glue.  Getting gored by a bull in Spain to ppl drinking too much water.

Ppl die.  VR is hardly gonna go thin the herd too much.  Although I think we could use a bit of thinning.

I self identify as a monkey.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Eeeiiiieeee.  A person dies and it's the VRapoclypse.  Car wrecks to accidental stabbing from kitchen ware.  Things happen in the world.  We cannot bubble wrap ourselves out of living.  Walking deaths from cell phones and ppl huffing glue.  Getting gored by a bull in Spain to ppl drinking too much water.

Ppl die.  VR is hardly gonna go thin the herd too much.  Although I think we could use a bit of thinning.
    You do have a point, but i think what it does bring home is the fact that despite everything, the tech for VR is just not there yet. :/
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited December 2017
    While I think it's horrible and sad this man died this falls under "the darwin awards".

One is using a visor that removes sight of the entire area. Survey the area for dangers, remove those dangers, remove breakables (because in best case scenario why would you want to wander too close to a breakable item that you can't see while playing a VR game) and make sure the area is safe.

For my VR space I have movie theater barriers defining the space so that I touch them before I get close to anything breakable/important.

One doens't have to go that far but one should at least know that if you can't see your surroundings you need to make sure every attempt is made to "play safely".
    RolanStormWraithonePhaserlightMabushiiCalaruilConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Oh man that's no good I feel bad for his family. 

Just move things out of the range of where you are going to be playing the VR games in, don't play it near glass tables, or sharp objects. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017
    While this is horrible, I'd say it's more an accident with a glass table than accident with VR. Having a table that inflicts fatal wounds if you trip over it is not normal.