Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen 1500x vs 1600 and GPU query

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
Okay so which is really better?
the 1500x with 4 cores but higher single speed or the 1600 with the 6 cores but lowers single speed?
I mostly play World of Tanks, Warships and probably Warcraft when the Vanilla servers hit.
(not sure if this matters but the new World of Tanks graphic engine will be ready in a few months )

Also regarding GPU's, for the same games listed above which do you think is the best value?
GTX 1050 ti with the 4gb or the GTX 1060 w 3gb, and how much better is the 6gb version of the 1060 (worth the extra $$) ??

Lastly would it be okay to use a single DDR4 16gb ram and add another 16GB later or is dual channel 2x 8gb better or does it make much difference?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time!
Oh and Merry Christmas!!

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The difference in speeds, even at stock, is pretty slight. 3.5/3.7 vs 3.2/3.6. So 100Mhz at the high end turbo, and what appears to be a lower full speed clock, but keep in mind you only hit that clock if you are leveraging all the cores, and with 2 additional cores (and 4 threads), that's a lot more compute power than just 300 Mhz worth of performance.

So, I would go with the 6-core if you can swing it. Odds are they all will overclock to something around 3.8-4.0 anyway.

For the GPUs. It really depends on what resolution you are intending to run. Any of those listed will do 1080 decently (maybe not MAX MAX, but pretty darn good). Prices on GPUs have been out of whack recently, so if one is worth the extra money depends a lot on how much money that is.

For memory. Ryzen is a bit finicky with RAM - make double sure what you are trying to use is on the motherboard compatibility list. I've always advocated using dual channel when possible - it's usually cheaper for the same amount of RAM (2x8 is usually less expensive than 1x16). and there is a performance boost. In reality though, you likely wouldn't even notice the performance difference in gaming, because games just aren't that memory sensitive for the most part (apart from having "enough" so you avoid the swap file).
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    dzones said:
    Okay so which is really better?
    the 1500x with 4 cores but higher single speed or the 1600 with the 6 cores but lowers single speed?
    I mostly play World of Tanks, Warships and probably Warcraft when the Vanilla servers hit.
    (not sure if this matters but the new World of Tanks graphic engine will be ready in a few months )

Also regarding GPU's, for the same games listed above which do you think is the best value?
    GTX 1050 ti with the 4gb or the GTX 1060 w 3gb, and how much better is the 6gb version of the 1060 (worth the extra $$) ??

Lastly would it be okay to use a single DDR4 16gb ram and add another 16GB later or is dual channel 2x 8gb better or does it make much difference?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time!
    Oh and Merry Christmas!!
    If you get a CPU with two memory channels, and only one memory module, then you leave one of the channels unused.  That cuts your memory bandwidth in half.  On Ryzen, that would further screw up half of the cores, as they'd have to go over the Infinity fabric just to get to a memory controller, which kills your latency.  You want two memory modules, and it's only a question of what size those two modules should be.  If you want 16 GB of memory in total, then you want 2x8 GB.

The 3 GB and 6 GB versions of a GeForce GTX 1060 are two different cards that Nvidia confusingly gave the same name to.  Think of them as perhaps a GTX 1060 and GTX 1060 Ti, respectively.  It's not just a double memory version of the same card.  The 3 GB version also disables a compute unit, making it a significantly slower card even if you don't need more than 3 GB of memory.

I'd regard the Ryzen 5 1600 as a better CPU than the 1500X, as the clock speed difference of 100 MHz (for max turbo) will barely matter, but 6 cores versus 4 could sometimes make a huge difference.  It's probably also more expensive.

Vanilla WoW will have very low system requirements if Blizzard really is going to bring things back as they were in Vanilla.  At launch, the official system requirements included only 256 MB of memory (which was a lie, by the way, as performance was terrible if you didn't have at least 512 MB) and a single core CPU that wasn't terribly fast even as single core CPUs went.
    Gdemami
  • dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Awesome thank you both for that excellent information. I really appreciate you guys for taking the time!
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64uzsk/i_was_curious_as_to_how_ryzen_performed_in_a/?st=j1s1tx1x&sh=54516f49#bottom-comments

This guy runs a bunch of tests on a Ryzen with single vs dual channel RAM. Results varied depending on work load, much as you would imagine.