Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Prestigious Award For Star Citizen

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,497
edited December 2017 in Star Citizen
Racking them up this year. The category for this award is....

Most Likely To Flop In 2018 Or Beyond


http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

:)

WalkinGlennetharnOdeezee

Comments

  • OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47



    alyndaleJamesGoblin
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Yup, agreed! What greed'll getcha! :)
    OnisDE

    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited December 2017
    So it was the same "award" for the past 3 or 4 years now?

    Every time they predict the flop "next year or beyond", the game lives another year, so as long they keep giving SC this award it's a good sign :)

    Only doubt is how many "flop next year" awards from such a prestigious website will SC get until it releases, hmm
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,497
    It seems more of a razzle award rather than something to be taken seriously but as they say, flop can mean any number of things.

    This unpleasant category can encompass fringe MMOs as well as unlaunched games, and remember that “flop” can mean lots of things, from outright sunset to financial ruin to simply not living up to insane hype. And we don’t actually want anything to flop!
    Patinasbartoni33
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,510
    They mean it won't come close to living up to the hype it keeps getting year after year.
    bartoni33
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,537
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    So it was the same "award" for the past 3 or 4 years now?

    Every time they predict the flop "next year or beyond", the game lives another year, so as long they keep giving SC this award it's a good sign :)

    Only doubt is how many "flop next year" awards from such a prestigious website will SC get until it releases, hmm
    Yea, it's pretty sad how they keep on overestimating CiG by thinking the game will actually come out within a year so it can flop in the first place.  You'd think they'd learn by now Oo

    I'm serious.  Reading the editor's comments, they actually seem to think or are going by the assumption (one editor's own words) that SC will come out this year, and they actually thought the same last year etc, which is why they keep voting for it.  COME ON, GUYS.  At this rate SC fans would be lucky to get SQ42 within 2 or 3 years and then there'd still be a lot more left to go before Star Citizen comes out.




    "Probably Star Citizen, but that’s assuming it gets released in 2018."

    Yea, um... no, it won't.  That's something both haters and fanboys should be agreeing on.



    "But yeah, Star Citizen isn’t going to implode, just disappoint, flop in a No Man’s Sky kind of way. "

    This statement implies he's making his vote based on Star Citizen being released, and the vote is for 2018 flop.  Star Citizen is not going to be released in 2018 to flop during that year.



    " I put Star Citizen here first because let’s be real here, the same things I said about this title last year apply this year, and thus it’s less “this game deserves to win” and more “enjoy this lifetime achievement award for not actually releasing while driving expectations up even further.” This year did seem to show some pretty big cracks in the facade, but nothing has actually changed. So let’s instead talk about Ashes of Creation, "

    Finally, someone who gets it.  But he's still implying that the voting is supposed to be done for games that will RELEASE in 2018 (which is why he decides to talk about AoC instead.  ...not that it's going to be released in 2018 either) yet still voting for Star Citizen anyways



    "Everything that is owned or partially owned by Disney. "

    Too late, Marvel Heroes already shut down and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite whatever was already released.



    "I vote for Star Citizen simply because of the weight of expectation that surrounds the title,"

    For the weight of expectation to bring down the title, it has to actually get released first.




    MassivelyOP guys guys guys, it's obvious you're going by the definition of "flop" as "gets released, but fails badly when it does."  If you're voting on "games that will flop in 2018" or "games in development during 2018 that will flop in the future once they ever get released", you really need to clarify which is the one that's up for vote.
    MaxBacon
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,695
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,537
    edited December 2017
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
    That would be an awfully useless award because exactly what constitutes "Alpha" is extremely arbitrary these days after so many developers and publishers have muddied the term with things like "Early Access", "Pre-Alpha", "Open Beta but not released but yes", etc.
    MaxBacon
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,887
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
    Well it will be in Alpha forever,so it has a real good chance there.When the whales stop spending money in the cash shop on every new ship/Tonk that comes out,they might consider a new approach like Beta lmao and then beyond maybe a release when no more money is coming in.

    it is too profitable right now as is for them to consider anything but remaining Alpha.

    I figure this end result will make Chris look real bad,tons of criticism,so he is going to ride this for as much money as he can soak up and then ride off into the sunset .

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,537
    edited December 2017
    Wizardry said:
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
    Well it will be in Alpha forever,so it has a real good chance there.When the whales stop spending money in the cash shop on every new ship/Tonk that comes out,they might consider a new approach like Beta lmao and then beyond maybe a release when no more money is coming in.

    it is too profitable right now as is for them to consider anything but remaining Alpha.

    I figure this end result will make Chris look real bad,tons of criticism,so he is going to ride this for as much money as he can soak up and then ride off into the sunset .
    Well, Chris Roberts might be profitting from this and possibly riding the waves, as well as maybe the rest of CiG management, but the other employees at CiG sure aren't.  Did you see the poor guys in the video?  They look like they're going to die. Oo  Various glassdoor reviews from CiG alleged employees has them ranting about being underpaid and overworked.  Of course, those could just be saboteurs (for some reason) and not actual CiG employees, but the looks of those poor guys in that holiday special live-not-livesteam sure seems to back it up.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
    That would be an awfully useless award because exactly what constitutes "Alpha" is extremely arbitrary these days after so many developers and publishers have muddied the term with things like "Early Access", "Pre-Alpha", "Open Beta but not released but yes", etc.
    There are still some devs who do a proper pre alpha, alpha, beta process and not the crap a lot of companies pull
    bartoni33
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,537
    Kefo said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    What's the award? Best game in alpha state?
    That would be an awfully useless award because exactly what constitutes "Alpha" is extremely arbitrary these days after so many developers and publishers have muddied the term with things like "Early Access", "Pre-Alpha", "Open Beta but not released but yes", etc.
    There are still some debs who do a proper pre alpha, alpha, beta process and not the crap a lot of companies pull
    True, but most of those alphas aren't available to the public and thus voting and nomination for an award like "best alpha" would be... difficult, to say the least.
    bartoni33
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,060
    When it comes to absurd expectations its definitely star citizen, however I personally think chronicles of elyria will crash and burn long before star citizen does simply because they can print jpeg money forever.

    Every month there is a new ship concept which raise another $1M, combine that with gamescom presentation sale, citizencon sale and the anniversary sale its impossible for them to run out of money.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Shaigh said:
    When it comes to absurd expectations its definitely star citizen, however I personally think chronicles of elyria will crash and burn long before star citizen does simply because they can print jpeg money forever.

    Every month there is a new ship concept which raise another $1M, combine that with gamescom presentation sale, citizencon sale and the anniversary sale its impossible for them to run out of money.
    It will catch up to them eventually. Sooner or later the community will get fed up with the constant sales and the funding will tank. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Jokes on them, it'll get delayed! Can't flop if you never release. *thinking guy*
    rojoArcueidkikoodutroa8
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Some of the comments are great. 

    One guy accusing Derek Smart of riling up the goons so that they can skew the vote for SC is pure gold.

    or the one who thinks that the eve fanbase feels threatened by SC.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,576
    Kefo said:
    Some of the comments are great. 

    One guy accusing Derek Smart of riling up the goons so that they can skew the vote for SC is pure gold.

    or the one who thinks that the eve fanbase feels threatened by SC.
    There are maybe 50K people left who play EVE most with multiple accounts. Last count SC had 300 trillion citizens how can they skew the vote against those odds?
    kikoodutroa8
Sign In or Register to comment.