Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer seems frustrated that publishers don't understand CoE's appeal

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    Nilden said:
    I'm just confused by the thread title... isn't that why they went with kickstarter?
    Yes.  The Kickstarter was just stated to be for "seed money" and they would then get an investor.   That has apparently not happened.

Well that seems like bullshit if you scroll down to the "Why kickstarter" section of the kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging

In his own words:

I love the idea of CoE and backed it on Kickstarter for a decent amount, but after REALLY studying it I'm now convinced that it is another project that is not ready for crowd funding and the developers are not being fully transparent.

Noted. Here's the thing. Funding in most startups happens in phases. There's the "idea phase", "friends and family phase", "seed phase", and then the various series... series A, series B. etc. In each phase there's an expectation that deliverables will come from the investment money. In the Idea Phase and Friends and Family, the output is generally conceptual documents, illustrations, theoretical calculations, prototypes, etc. It's enough to approach the seed round (which is generally angel investors) with enough information that investors can look at what's provided and go "Yep. I can see how this would work. I'd be willing to invest in it."

In our case, as with many other game companies recently, we've gone the route of crowdfunding for our seed funding. However, we also put a significant amount of our personal money into the "idea phase", so that we'd approach the seed round with significantly more evidence than most MMORPGs have come to the seed round with. We've got hundreds of models, dozens of animations, a working combat demo, videos of systems we're working on, etc... All of which is more than most other MMOs have come to crowdfunding with. So are we ready for crowdfunding/seed round? Yes.

----

My last concern is that the numbers don't add up. SBS asked for $900K and said that would get them to full release in 2017

We've repeatedly said that's not the case. We've said $900k is all we need from Kickstarter. We have every intention of going for a Series A round of funding in the spring, and will use the next round of funding to get the game out the door. The seed round of funding, is, as stated, to get to a fully working game that can be shown to VCs

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/7030/no-longer-backing-coe?page=5#post71247

Note that was over a year and a half ago... 

PS: That post is a goldmine.  Really read through his arguments and then see the reality 18 months later.  Not just the quoted part above but all of it... even he part about how they'd be able to attract employees... then a year+ later blamed the delay on not being able to attract employees.

That post is 95% what is wrong with this games development.  Yet some folks (IMHO clueless) cheered him on.  Well...  THEY are what caused this situation.... not Slapshot.

YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Sovrath said:
    kruler said:
    So far ive had about 50% success rate with games that I have backed, and I am more than happy to back an "idea" but I do have rules that I strictly follow before I do.

The first and main rule is read up on the CV,s and past statements by the main personalities involved in the product, this has saved me time and money on a number of occasions, look at the people not the product to start with.........Looking at you Ashes (not only puts wallet away, he hides wallet and denies ever knowing its existence )

In the case of CoE I chose not to back because of the personalities early on, this has not always worked and made some giant blunders years ago falling for the spin and not the substance of talent, ability and fiscal common sense...................(yeah I backed Mortal Online and LEARNT a lot ). 
    This is pretty much how I do it and also one of the reasons I didn't back this project. There were just some things said that didn't point to "professional".

How, having said that, if the game launches it doesn't really matter. I mean I listen to music/watch movies made by some deplorable people. But their work is good.

So if this is good then sure I'll play it. But at launch.

Of course I agree, a launched product doesn't need my rule as evidence of the product is truly there for everyone to see, and I have bought released games made by some truly appalling socially dysfunctional people, so my rule isn't perfect, if I was to apply it to every game backing/purchase decision I make I expect I would have like 4 games in my library.

It just weeds out the shonky salesmen and the ego driven dreamers, but every dog has its day and sometimes, just sometimes the mad and the bad pull off a win, just statistically very unlikely.    
    Sovrath

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23081/a-thought-on-selling-coe-to-potential-publishers
    "During last nights multi-hour impromptu Q&A Caspian expressed some frustration in his attempts to market COE to potential publishers. He described publishers that refused to read his 8 page comparison of COE to other MMOs, publishers that wanted loot crates and micro transactions, and publishers simply not understanding the appeal COE has for so many."

Wow...  now we know why all the focus is on selling stuff in the store.

Looks like other folks have the same concerns discussed here.  They have "pre-sold" the product to their most loyal customers along with tons of "sparks" to last for years.  There seems to be a question about the viability of the business model.

I think that the question of viability extends beyond the business model. It's also commentary on the genre itself. It's like complaining about how you can't find an investor for your VHS-to-DVD business. It's a dated idea. This is a MASSIVE generalization and I know that, but mass markets are simply not looking for this type of game. So pair that with the fact that they've already sold to their core market and, yeah, that's a tough sell. It's a niche market and I think that maybe Caspian's frustration actually shows more about his lack of knowledge of the market than the publishers lack of knowledge. 
    kruler

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Tiamat64 said:
    genaknosc said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yes, people pledge to games they want to see get made.  If you find that entertaining ... that's great I guess.  But if nobody pledges, the games never get made.  If enough people pledge, sometimes they do.  This is not hard to understand.  And despite what estimation you may have of your own intelligence, you can't predict the future.  Some of these games that people consider underdogs may succeed, your infantile circle jerk notwithstanding.

If I could predict the future, that would make these things a lot less entertaining actually.  Caspien whining about how no publisher wants to get anywhere near him would have been a heck of a lot less interesting if I predicted it in advance for example.  And then there's things like Star Citizen TANKing (there's a pun in there, for those who don't know what's going on with Star Citizen right now) and it's like, the best entertainers in the world couldn't make this stuff up!  Nor could I have predicted it, and I'm glad I didn't!

So far up to the plate, we have Shroud of Avatar, Star Citizen, Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, etc etc.... you say some of them will succeed?  Well let's see!  Will any of them succeed?  Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!  Er, but don't bet on SoTA.  I consider that one failed already since it reached launch and proceeded to disappoint pretty much everyone besides like, 3 people.  It sure was a hoot in doing so, though.  Sales of Lord British's blood, USED TO MAKE ART.  They friggin' monetized the death of Garriot's mother!  Like I said, entertainers can't make this stuff up!

Crowfall just this month got a new $6 million cash infusion from outside investors, I'd say it will probably launch.
    6 mill isn't very much by MMORPG standards.  That said, Shroud of the Avatar launched too (eh, close enough) yet I don't consider it a success (I do consider it entertainment, though).

Besides, even if Crowfall does launch and somehow is successful, it was still fun to watch anyways.  Unlike what Sedryn keeps yapping about, I don't "lose" just because a game "succeeds".  Games are about entertainment, so I win as long as I'm entertained.
    Nobody loses when an entertaining new game succeeds, which is what makes trying to tear them down so fucking stupid.
    I'll let you in on a little secret: If CoE was an actual entertaining new game it would succeed regardless of what Slapshot says on a message board.

IMHO You are falling into Caspien's trap.  It's not Slapshot's fault, nor anyone else's fault here if it fails.  It's the developers fault. When that developer spurns honest criticism for a business plan and timeline that simply don't make sense, and then apparently can't raise money due to the same... that's all on him. Well, I'd also put a small sliver of the blame on the apologists and excusemakers who enable him, but that's just me.  

I'm very critical of finished products but I don't see the value is relentless criticism against products in development.  That, to me, is of no value and is basically punishing the producers for choosing a method of funding that has more transparency than other, traditional funding methods.  Basically, all these sorts of threads do is put emotional drag on the project.  It's Caspian who is guilty of falling into your trap because he has, unfortunately, actually made time to respond to your threads when really he'd be better off ignoring you altogether.  Of course, you don't have to keep railing against him and dissecting every questionable decision he makes either but you delight in doing so.  And I do understand why that compels him to respond, even though his best course of action is probably to pretend like you don't exist at this point.
    Again... it's not Slapshot's fault.  If he had delivered on what he had said, when he said he would do it... everyone (including me) would be happy.  Unfortunately... HE failed to do so... so put the blame where it belongs.  It's laughable how far you go to deflect that.

Is ANYTHING posted in this thread untrue?  If so.. simply let me know and if verified I will change it.  Instead... as is typical... you complain about the symptom (people "complaining") instead of the root cause (the topics we discuss).

You want Slapshot to stop "complaining"?   Say what you mean and do what you say when you say you will do it.  It's really that simple.

Maybe instead of putting money in... if people stopped for a second and said... "Hey the timeline you state is impossible with the features you list... and thus the money seems wrong" he would have been forced to re-evaluate and actually come up with a working plan on day 1.  Instead people threw money at him and made excuses.  THIS is the result of that. Slapshot "complaining" didn't cause this.  YOU did.

Hang on, are you a "ghost" poster who's writing on Slapshot's behalf or are you actually Slapshot and pretentiously referring to yourself in the third person?
    That's all ya got?

YashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:
    Nilden said:
    I'm just confused by the thread title... isn't that why they went with kickstarter?
    Yes.  The Kickstarter was just stated to be for "seed money" and they would then get an investor.   That has apparently not happened.

Well that seems like bullshit if you scroll down to the "Why kickstarter" section of the kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging

In his own words:

I love the idea of CoE and backed it on Kickstarter for a decent amount, but after REALLY studying it I'm now convinced that it is another project that is not ready for crowd funding and the developers are not being fully transparent.

Noted. Here's the thing. Funding in most startups happens in phases. There's the "idea phase", "friends and family phase", "seed phase", and then the various series... series A, series B. etc. In each phase there's an expectation that deliverables will come from the investment money. In the Idea Phase and Friends and Family, the output is generally conceptual documents, illustrations, theoretical calculations, prototypes, etc. It's enough to approach the seed round (which is generally angel investors) with enough information that investors can look at what's provided and go "Yep. I can see how this would work. I'd be willing to invest in it."

In our case, as with many other game companies recently, we've gone the route of crowdfunding for our seed funding. However, we also put a significant amount of our personal money into the "idea phase", so that we'd approach the seed round with significantly more evidence than most MMORPGs have come to the seed round with. We've got hundreds of models, dozens of animations, a working combat demo, videos of systems we're working on, etc... All of which is more than most other MMOs have come to crowdfunding with. So are we ready for crowdfunding/seed round? Yes.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/7030/no-longer-backing-coe?page=5#post71247

Here's the quote from the kickstarter, (I hope you can see why this is confusing to me) Why would they be looking at publishers to invest when they already realized that they are not willing to take the risk? Hence the kickstarter...

"We've turned to Kickstarter to fund this project because traditional game publishers won't take this risk. They are incentivized to clone the latest success and merely re-skin it. But not all players want a WoW clone or to play the same game every time. Our innovative ideas come FROM gamers FOR gamers. WE want to play this game, so we turn to YOU to help make that happen.  

We also realize that to effectively complete all of these amazing ideas will require a lot of cash. That's why we've invested half a million dollars to self-fund pre-production thus far and have another $500K committed from investors. 

We also promised to only go to Kickstarter once we had a playable demo (combat demo released at PAX East) and substantial development to show. This is not just a concept that we're presenting. It's a game in the making that we need your help to bring to fruition."

genaknoscYashaX

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    Nilden said:
    Nilden said:

In his own words:

Here's the quote from the kickstarter, (I hope you can see why this is confusing to me) Why would they be looking at publishers to invest when they already realized that they are not willing to take the risk? Hence the kickstarter...

"We've turned to Kickstarter to fund this project because traditional game publishers won't take this risk. They are incentivized to clone the latest success and merely re-skin it. But not all players want a WoW clone or to play the same game every time. Our innovative ideas come FROM gamers FOR gamers. WE want to play this game, so we turn to YOU to help make that happen.  

We also realize that to effectively complete all of these amazing ideas will require a lot of cash. That's why we've invested half a million dollars to self-fund pre-production thus far and have another $500K committed from investors. 

We also promised to only go to Kickstarter once we had a playable demo (combat demo released at PAX East) and substantial development to show. This is not just a concept that we're presenting. It's a game in the making that we need your help to bring to fruition."

Oh I understand what you're saying and there was a big blow up on these forums and elsewhere when people found out that the Kickstarter money wasn't for the full game.  

You should really read that post I linked.   It is absolute gold.  

Tiamat64 said:
    genaknosc said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yes, people pledge to games they want to see get made.  If you find that entertaining ... that's great I guess.  But if nobody pledges, the games never get made.  If enough people pledge, sometimes they do.  This is not hard to understand.  And despite what estimation you may have of your own intelligence, you can't predict the future.  Some of these games that people consider underdogs may succeed, your infantile circle jerk notwithstanding.

If I could predict the future, that would make these things a lot less entertaining actually.  Caspien whining about how no publisher wants to get anywhere near him would have been a heck of a lot less interesting if I predicted it in advance for example.  And then there's things like Star Citizen TANKing (there's a pun in there, for those who don't know what's going on with Star Citizen right now) and it's like, the best entertainers in the world couldn't make this stuff up!  Nor could I have predicted it, and I'm glad I didn't!

So far up to the plate, we have Shroud of Avatar, Star Citizen, Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, etc etc.... you say some of them will succeed?  Well let's see!  Will any of them succeed?  Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!  Er, but don't bet on SoTA.  I consider that one failed already since it reached launch and proceeded to disappoint pretty much everyone besides like, 3 people.  It sure was a hoot in doing so, though.  Sales of Lord British's blood, USED TO MAKE ART.  They friggin' monetized the death of Garriot's mother!  Like I said, entertainers can't make this stuff up!

Crowfall just this month got a new $6 million cash infusion from outside investors, I'd say it will probably launch.
    6 mill isn't very much by MMORPG standards.  That said, Shroud of the Avatar launched too (eh, close enough) yet I don't consider it a success (I do consider it entertainment, though).

Besides, even if Crowfall does launch and somehow is successful, it was still fun to watch anyways.  Unlike what Sedryn keeps yapping about, I don't "lose" just because a game "succeeds".  Games are about entertainment, so I win as long as I'm entertained.
    Nobody loses when an entertaining new game succeeds, which is what makes trying to tear them down so fucking stupid.
    I'll let you in on a little secret: If CoE was an actual entertaining new game it would succeed regardless of what Slapshot says on a message board.

IMHO You are falling into Caspien's trap.  It's not Slapshot's fault, nor anyone else's fault here if it fails.  It's the developers fault. When that developer spurns honest criticism for a business plan and timeline that simply don't make sense, and then apparently can't raise money due to the same... that's all on him. Well, I'd also put a small sliver of the blame on the apologists and excusemakers who enable him, but that's just me.  

I'm very critical of finished products but I don't see the value is relentless criticism against products in development.  That, to me, is of no value and is basically punishing the producers for choosing a method of funding that has more transparency than other, traditional funding methods.  Basically, all these sorts of threads do is put emotional drag on the project.  It's Caspian who is guilty of falling into your trap because he has, unfortunately, actually made time to respond to your threads when really he'd be better off ignoring you altogether.  Of course, you don't have to keep railing against him and dissecting every questionable decision he makes either but you delight in doing so.  And I do understand why that compels him to respond, even though his best course of action is probably to pretend like you don't exist at this point.
    Again... it's not Slapshot's fault.  If he had delivered on what he had said, when he said he would do it... everyone (including me) would be happy.  Unfortunately... HE failed to do so... so put the blame where it belongs.  It's laughable how far you go to deflect that.

Is ANYTHING posted in this thread untrue?  If so.. simply let me know and if verified I will change it.  Instead... as is typical... you complain about the symptom (people "complaining") instead of the root cause (the topics we discuss).

You want Slapshot to stop "complaining"?   Say what you mean and do what you say when you say you will do it.  It's really that simple.

Maybe instead of putting money in... if people stopped for a second and said... "Hey the timeline you state is impossible with the features you list... and thus the money seems wrong" he would have been forced to re-evaluate and actually come up with a working plan on day 1.  Instead people threw money at him and made excuses.  THIS is the result of that. Slapshot "complaining" didn't cause this.  YOU did.

Hang on, are you a "ghost" poster who's writing on Slapshot's behalf or are you actually Slapshot and pretentiously referring to yourself in the third person?
    That's all ya got?

Clearly there is 1188 Slapshots and this one is clone 190, this explains his forum presence across the planet, so he is in fact referring to himself in more than just the 3rd person, he is referring to himself as a collective.

DISCLAIMER......

Not suggesting Slapshot is akin to a Borg troll, but would make a cool meme.

[Deleted User]Slapshot1188

Tiamat64 said:
    genaknosc said:
    Tiamat64 said:

That's all ya got?

Okay, so I'm going to assume it's you then.

And as you asked, I'll go ahead and point out something you said that isn't true.  Your posts, your actions are YOUR responsibility and nobody else's.  You're logic there is the same as that of an abusive husband who beats his wife and then blames her for upsetting him.  You don't have to keep picking on Caspian and CoE.  You CHOOSE to do that.  So put that in your pretentious pipe and smoke away.
    Seriously?  Stooping to the spouse abuse level?  That's not even funny in jest.
    I mistakenly thought you might be slightly above that...  guess not.

At least you seemingly admit that there is nothing factually wrong in my posts about what CoE does or does not do. The state of the game is because of enablers like YOU... not anything people post on this forum.  

YashaX

Tiamat64 said:
    genaknosc said:
    Tiamat64 said:

That's all ya got?

Okay, so I'm going to assume it's you then.

And as you asked, I'll go ahead and point out something you said that isn't true.  Your posts, your actions are YOUR responsibility and nobody else's.  Your logic there is the same as that of an abusive husband who beats his wife and then blames her for upsetting him.  You don't have to keep picking on Caspian and CoE.  You CHOOSE to do that.  So put that in your pretentious pipe and smoke away.

But by the same token isn't it also a reasonability of a person to discuss within a forum their fears and hopes in a hope of reaching a consensus and thus providing advice or warnings which can be ignored or enacted on.

A bit like reading the reviews of a product before you buy, of course the reviews have to be treated with a grain of salt, but a consensus or feeling for the product is formed.

For all the bagging I have done of MMORPG's forums for their relentless negative soul sucking social death zone, I do grudgingly admit they have been on the money more often than not with the genre and its movers and shakers. 

Slapshot1188

Seriously?  Stooping to the spouse abuse level?  That's not even funny in jest.
    I mistakenly thought you might be slightly above that...  guess not.

At least you seemingly admit that there is nothing factually wrong in my posts about what CoE does or does not do. The state of the game is because of enablers like YOU... not anything people post on this forum.  

Oh, did I hurt your feelings with my analogy?  Apologies then.

And here again, you don't want to take responsibility for your own posts, your own actions.  Knowing that much I guess there's no reason to take anything you post seriously going forward ... so thanks for that early Christmas present.  Happy Holidays!
    Where did I ever distance myself from any of my posts?  Far from it... I asked you to show something that was wrong.  To date you have been unable to do that. 

Go read the post I linked.  Then check reality.  Then come back here and tell me who's fault it is that the game is in this situation today.

I'll wait.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017
    EDIT: Wrong thread /EDIT
    JamesGoblin

edited December 2017
    Vrika said:
    April: new ship, Banu Defender
    May: new ship, Aegis Eclipse
    June: new ship, Aopoa Nox
    July: new vehicle, Cyclone
    August: new ship, Constellation Aquila
    September: new ship, Origin X1
    October: new ship, Outlands Pioneer
      new feature: land claims
      new feature: base building
      new feature: attack and defense of player build bases
    November: new ship, Anvil Hawk
      new ship: Aegis Hammerhead
    December: new vehicle: Nova Battle Tank

I wonder how long it takes Star Citizen supporters to realize that RSI is selling new stuff at much faster pace than they could possibly develop it. 
    Umm... OK!  Thanks for that  ;)

Any other random thoughts you'd like to toss out there?

PS: It's cool :) Just having some fun.  PPS I agree with what you posted.

Relampago

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vrika said:
    April: new ship, Banu Defender
    May: new ship, Aegis Eclipse
    June: new ship, Aopoa Nox
    July: new vehicle, Cyclone
    August: new ship, Constellation Aquila
    September: new ship, Origin X1
    October: new ship, Outlands Pioneer
      new feature: land claims
      new feature: base building
      new feature: attack and defense of player build bases
    November: new ship, Anvil Hawk
      new ship: Aegis Hammerhead
    December: new vehicle: Nova Battle Tank

I wonder how long it takes Star Citizen supporters to realize that RSI is selling new stuff at much faster pace than they could possibly develop it. 
    Umm... OK!  Thanks for that  ;)

Any other random thoughts you'd like to toss out there?

@Slapshot1188

Sorry, I posted it in wrong thread. I had to have multiple windows open to compile the list and ended up writing in wrong window.
    genaknoscPhry

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @SedrynTyros and @Slapshot1188

I'm about to get my rock 'em sock 'em robot set out so you two can settle this beef once and for all like men: in the cheap, plastic, Mattel-brand squared circle!
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Octagon7711BruceYee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    @SedrynTyros and @Slapshot1188

I'm about to get my rock 'em sock 'em robot set out so you two can settle this beef once and for all like men: in the cheap, plastic, Mattel-brand squared circle!
    Get the original one, it's made bettah!
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchieOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If you think players are upset for games not being delivered at the time developer says it will be done its nothing compared to the way publishers feel about a game costing far more than what was budgeted. If you feel like players can be critical of the end project not being good and wasting $60 its nothing compared to the amount of money a publisher loses if a game flops.

I have found quite a bunch of kickstarters where I might have felt like I could do $10k investment because I see lots of opportunities in the project making me money and while there are risks I think Iwcould be capable of cherry picking things so that most of the time I did good. I would never dare doing the same thing when it came to mmorpg because first it would mean a $50k investment and second its probably going to cost me more than that.

If it wasn't about costs and risk being much higher when it came to mmorpg development investors wouldn't be as reluctant as they are when it comes to mmorpg projects.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would be more concerned as to why he is looking for a publisher when already taking money from naive people.

A publisher is going to ask a large % and will be a part of the funding,all the money gamer's gave was to simply market the idea and pay these guys a wage.
    The entire market is flooded with crap games utilizing cash shops/loot boxes whatever,the market is at it's lowest peak ever,we are seeing sub par games with more cost to play them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I think the publishers have it spot on. It's the developers who are delusional.
    waynejr2Slapshot1188aliven
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2017
    Wizardry said:
    I would be more concerned as to why he is looking for a publisher when already taking money from naive people.

A publisher is going to ask a large % and will be a part of the funding,all the money gamer's gave was to simply market the idea and pay these guys a wage.
    The entire market is flooded with crap games utilizing cash shops/loot boxes whatever,the market is at it's lowest peak ever,we are seeing sub par games with more cost to play them.
    Actually Caspian made it pretty clear right after the KSer ended that he considered it as Tier 1 funding to flesh out the design enough for future funding rounds. 

He claimed to have made this clear before the KSer end on their Discord or company website and I think Slap or someone called him for that saying backers should not have has to search beyond the KSer site for such important info.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Actually they made it pretty clear right after the KSer ended that they considered it as Tier 1 funding to flesh out the design enough for future funding rounds. 
    But I think..(Id have to check but no time now) that he also actually said his total budget would be around $3M to deliver the game.  That he is now at $3.4 but still lamenting the inability to attract a publisher means not only was he far off on his gantt chart for his timeline but also for his budget.

So.. there were 3 main concerns with his pitch:

Time- We know he blew that one
    Money- Seems like he blew that one
    Content- Overly ambitious... want to make a bet about his ability to deliver all the promised features?

PS-If the $3M figure is wrong just let me know... but that's what I recall.  I'll go check later.

Found it:

That being said, the $900,000 we raised during Kickstarter isn't enough to finish Chronicles of Elyria. The reality is that Soulbound Studios is going to require another $2 Million more than that to get anywhere near completion. And with server hosting fees, QA work, etc., it would really be better if that was up around $3M instead.

So $2.9M to get near completion.  $3.9M for a cushion with hosting fees, QA etc...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Actually Caspian made it pretty clear right after the KSer ended that he considered it as Tier 1 funding to flesh out the design enough for future funding rounds. 

He claimed to have made this clear before the KSer end on their Discord or company website and I think Slap or someone called him for that saying backers should not have has to search beyond the KSer site for such important info.

I do know that during the kickstarter, to me, it seemed that the money was not "seed money" but was in fact what they needed to finish the game.

Maybe the verbiage was changed later or maybe it was said elsewhere and they made the mistake of not including it on kickstarter or making it hard to find.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Actually they made it pretty clear right after the KSer ended that they considered it as Tier 1 funding to flesh out the design enough for future funding rounds. 
    But I think..(Id have to check but no time now) that he also actually said his total budget would be around $3M to deliver the game.  That he is now at $3.4 but still lamenting the inability to attract a publisher means not only was he far off on his gantt chart for his timeline but also for his budget.

So.. there were 3 main concerns with his pitch:

Time- We know he blew that one
    Money- Seems like he blew that one
    Content- Overly ambitious... want to make a bet about his ability to deliver all the promised features?

PS-If the $3M figure is wrong just let me know... but that's what I recall.  I'll go check later.

You aren't wrong, I think the initial seed funding was around $900K and $3M to develop the full game.

Which was BS then and still is, one does not make an ambitious MMORPG on $3.x M, in fact it seems even $174M won't do.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Yes this is exactly what happened.  It was "available" if you went and looked for it on their website but it wasn't on the Kickstarter pitch page as far as I recall.. and yes that was one of our first arguments on here :)

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited December 2017
    I know I said I was going to refrain from participating in these forums however, I have to intervein once again. As always Slapshot lurks the forums looking for anything that he can use against SBS, then posts it without giving all the information. So let me enlighten you as to where this thread initiated from. Bordweall, one of our Kingdoms from NA-E did a holiday podcast interviewing Caspian, and if I can say so myself they did a hell of a good job. In the podcast, Dleatherus asks the hard questions about many of the concerns outside of our community and Caspian offers his explanations.  Might I suggest having a look at it yourself and form your own opinions?

YashaX
    edited December 2017
    I know I said I was going to refrain from participating in these forums however, I have to intervein once again. As always Slapshot lurks the forums looking for anything that he can use against SBS, then posts it without giving all the information. So let me enlighten you as to where this thread initiated from. Bordweall, one of our Kingdoms from NA-E did a holiday podcast interviewing Caspian, and if I can say so myself they did a hell of a good job. In the podcast, Dleatherus asks the hard questions about many of the concerns outside of our community and Caspian offers his explanations.  Might I suggest having a look at it yourself and form your own opinions?

Which part should we check out?

BTW.. I like the part where he says "that still pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands we expect on each server across the globe"  26:10

Reality is calling... please pick up.  Hundreds (plural) of thousands of players on each of his 5 servers is a million players.   Really?  Seriously?  He says currently they have between 1 and 10k...

This guy seems so divorced from reality it's like watching Jerry Springer

And the "hard questions" interviewer follows up by validating it with "Yeah.. I think that's a very valid and very important point to make" instead of asking him to list how many MMORPGs actually have 1M+ paying customers today.

Thanks for sharing.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    YashaX